Uneven string Ferrules?

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:14 pm

The string ferrules on the back of my 2017 ASAT Tribute were uneven and I was going to ask here if there is an easy way to get them even. Some are flush with the wood and two extended beyond the wood. While writing this I realized the holes for the ferrules might have been drilled deep enough but the ferrules weren't tapped in all the way or worked themselves loose. Ferrets try to escape so maybe ferrules do to. I put a piece of thin carboard over the ferrules and tapped them all in so they all fit flush now. I'm posting this in case anyone else has the same question.

Here is a before photo. I didn't bother with an after photo but they are all flush now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28286266@N02/39609741062/in/dateposted/

Re: Uneven string Ferrules?

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 pm

DugT wrote: Ferrets try to escape so maybe ferrules do to.

:think: :D

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Elwood wrote:
DugT wrote: Ferrets try to escape so maybe ferrules do to.

:think: :D

I find that tapping ferrets with a cardboard tube keeps them from escaping too. FYI.

Tom

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 am

DugT wrote:The string ferrules on the back of my 2017 ASAT Tribute were uneven and I was going to ask here if there is an easy way to get them even. Some are flush with the wood and two extended beyond the wood. While writing this I realized the holes for the ferrules might have been drilled deep enough but the ferrules weren't tapped in all the way or worked themselves loose. Ferrets try to escape so maybe ferrules do to. I put a piece of thin carboard over the ferrules and tapped them all in so they all fit flush now. I'm posting this in case anyone else has the same question.

Here is a before photo. I didn't bother with an after photo but they are all flush now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28286266@N02/39609741062/in/dateposted/

My understanding is that standard ferrules are press fit into a 5/16" hole with a 3/8" counter-bore (edit: haven't seen any specs for G&L but the principle should be the same even if they use an obscure size for their ferrules), such that the ferrules (being ever so slightly bigger than the hole) should sit tight once pressed. Having said that, they should have been flush from the factory though there are a few scenarios that could explain how they ended up otherwise, not the least of which is a significant difference in moisture between when/where they were originally pressed, and when/where they arrived. In any case, if you find that they begin to extrude again once the guitar has been home for a week or two - you can refit them with a very small dab of wood glue.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks, Dan.

It is dry here so I think that caused the problem. There was also significant fret sprout. I've had the guitar for about three months and before I bought it, it was in Las Vegas, which is also dry. I think the ferrules must have backed out when there was no tension on the strings. I'll use a dab of glue if it happens again but I think that is unlikely as long as there is string tension. The next time I replace the strings I'll see how easy it is to push the ferrules out. If it is easy I'll glue them in with a small amount of glue.

This is really a miniscule problem but the uneveness looked a little sloppy so I'm glad the fix is easy and that it probably didn't leave the factory that way.