Doheny awarded Premier Guitar magazine Premier Gear Award

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:11 am

Posted on G&L's facebook page:

The Doheny is getting some love from the crew at Premier Guitar, including their coveted Premier Gear award.
Many thanks to Charles Saufley for the thoughtful review and to John Bohlinger for the well done demo video.
Go to the Premier Guitar site to check it out: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26634-gl-doheny-review

Re: Doheny awarded Premier Guitar magazine Premier Gear Awar

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:39 am

Very cool review, so thanks for posting. I took a Doheny for a short test drive a couple of weeks ago, and I completely understand the positive reviews. It was Fullerton Red with maple fretboard, and the shop ran it through a small Orange tube amp. I absolutely loved it, both for feel and tone. I think the maple board led me to prefer it to my Comanche's neck, which is no surprise because I generally prefer maple. I think it also had slightly lower action than my Comanche, but that's just a setup issue. Tone-wise, I thought it was very Fender-y in its twangy, spanky goodness, but I don't think it duplicates any specific Fender model. (I'm mostly a bassist and thus not an expert on all flavors of Fender guitar tone, but that was my impression.) The clean tones were great, of course, but I liked the dirty tones through the Orange too. Very cool guitars, and I hope the model does well for G&L.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am

A Jazzmaster body is much more ergonomic than a Strat or Tele, imo.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Edit - Meant to reply to a post in the other thread, got this one somehow...