ASAT Commemorative On Reverb

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 am

I noticed a ASAT Commemorative in real good shape on Reverb just now and wondered: How many of you have one of these rare guitars that still have the gold strings, do you ever play them, what do you think of this guitar?

Here's mine:

Tom

Re: ASAT Commemorative On Reverb

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Here's mine, see: NGD - L.F. Commemorative guitar #133.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Hey Tom,

All my Commemoratives (#13 bass, #152, #1, #26, #29, #10 bass) still have the gold Optima/Maxima strings.

- Jos

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hey Tom,

All my Commemoratives (#13 bass, #152, #1, #26, #29, #10 bass) still have the gold Optima/Maxima strings.

- Jos

Doesn't it make it very frustrating to buy a guitar that you can't play? Or do you play them and just don't change the strings, although that seems impossible to do. This is not criticism, since the guitars are obviously beautiful, it is just that I would not know what to do with guitars like these.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:58 am

Saw that one and was tempted, but have close second below.

Many purchases this year and planning big Bday for my wife. Hey, maybe she really does want an ASAT Commemorative! :evilgrin:

This was reportedly one of a few test run for the Commemorative. Has the triple binding and signature, so will have to do for a while.

Now where was that link to Reverb? :happy0007:

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:56 am

Kit wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Hey Tom,

- Jos

Doesn't it make it very frustrating to buy a guitar that you can't play? Or do you play them and just don't change the strings, although that seems impossible to do. This is not criticism, since the guitars are obviously beautiful, it is just that I would not know what to do with guitars like these.

My #133 was bought strictly as a collectable. Dean Coy and I own #176 which was bought used years ago and this is the one which we both played.
Dean had removed the gold metal pickguard (which had lots of scratches) and replaced it with a gold mirror (plastic) pickguard. We bought this guitar
from Dan Torres at his shop in the SF Bay Area which he had up for sale on consignment years back.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Sam, that ASAT is beautiful and a strong runner up to the real thing. The triple binding is gorgeous on these guitars.

Kit, I understand what you say. I am an ex-band player, engineer, manager and recording engineer. I can still do the engineering thing sometimes but illness has robbed me of my ability to make a living playing guitar. So I just fiddle around when the mood strikes. I do have a passion for these fine instruments though and this particular one is a good investment, but the down side of that is not playing it. I have other ASAT Classic guitars that I do play but are not my favorite, which are also collector guitars. I try, when I can, to buy two of each guitars so I can play one and collect the other. Bottom line is, it's a wonderful thing that Leo Fender left us with guitars that are not only a joy to play but also collectible for the future. Best of both worlds.

Tom

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Kit wrote:Doesn't it make it very frustrating to buy a guitar that you can't play? Or do you play them and just don't change the strings, although that seems impossible to do. This is not criticism, since the guitars are obviously beautiful, it is just that I would not know what to do with guitars like these.

Kit,

That is a fair comment. Although I do not play them a lot, they do come out of the case at times and are being played. Nothing is scared here in my house as far as guitars are concerned. They are utilitarian artifacts after all.

These gold string seem to have less of an issue of "rusting" just due to their coating. So they do last pretty long, no matter what. The gold coating on the pickguard is more at risk for scratches etc. but now I learned a neat solution from Craig and Dean for that problem.

- Jos

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Thank you all for the player perspective on these unique guitars.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:46 am

I've got #17 of 350. had it for a while an excellent guitar but the the only similarity with a Tele [sound wise] is the shape however I discovered that the pups can be adjusted to get that Telecaster spank. I haven't done mine yet I'll let everyone know if its true. The cold plating isn't just for show it stops corrosion especially on the strings, they last much longer and their price has come down so when it's time for another set I'll get gold and see how they go.
I've got a pair of Mick Brierley custom made Telecaster pickups which where intended for the ASAT but I think I'll just get another Telecaster probably MIM. The ASAT is great but I love Telecasters too.

Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:08 am

Hello
I own a Commemoratve #135 and looking for a replacement of the pickguard.I read that some of you have replaced the pickguard by a plastic one.Would you be so kind to tell me where I can purchase one.
Regards
Nico

Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:14 pm

Funny enough, I own Comm #132, the direct brother of Graig's Comm. And close relative of the Felix Comm.
The guitar in my OP, #132 is also on the cover of Paul Bechtoldt's book, G&L: Leo's Legacy.