Chechen boards...Opinions please...Pics if you have them.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Chechen boards...what do you think? Thanks!

Re: Chechen boards...Opinions please...Pics if you have them

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:10 pm

docdynamite wrote:Chechen boards...what do you think? Thanks!

For photos see: Seen on G&L's Facebook page - Chechen fretboard

Hope this helps.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Wow, not one opinion on a chechen board?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:17 pm

docdynamite wrote:Wow, not one opinion on a chechen board?

These boards are only on factory Special Build instruments and cannot be ordered as an option. So, it is not likely anyone here has one. Atleast no one has posted a NGD yet with one.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 am

Craig, I have heard just the opposite...G L is totally out of rosewood and Chechen is the replacement option for the unavailable rosewood.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:49 am

docdynamite wrote:Craig, I have heard just the opposite...G L is totally out of rosewood and Chechen is the replacement option for the unavailable rosewood.

When the chechen fretboards started showing up on G&L's facebook page in March 2017, I asked Spencer Brown about them.

Hi Craig,

No Chechen is something else. It is sometimes used under the name “Caribbean Rosewood” although it is a separate species from both Indian and Brazilian Rosewood.
It’s very similar in tonalitay and density and is not restricted for international trade. We’ve so far just done a limited pilot run to see how people like it before potentially opening up as a regular option.

Thanks,

Spencer

And here is the latest info from G&L's facebook page:

G&L Musical Instruments It hasn't become an option yet, but it's heading that direction. Google Chechen and look for the entry in the wood database.
Like · Reply · December 27, 2017 at 10:19am

You might want to search the G&L facebook page on chechen and rosewood.

I will be attending NAMM and will get the latest scoop then.

Hope this helps.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:33 am

Craig wrote:docdynamite wrote:Craig, I have heard just the opposite...G L is totally out of rosewood and Chechen is the replacement option for the unavailable rosewood.

This information was by phone call with GL on January 4th. Update on Jan 6th...G L is totally out of rosewood for now. They are waiting on a large shipment of rosewood that is months behind.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:56 am

Any new opinions?

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:13 pm

docdynamite wrote:
Craig wrote:docdynamite wrote:Craig, I have heard just the opposite...G L is totally out of rosewood and Chechen is the replacement option for the unavailable rosewood.

This information was by phone call with GL on January 4th. Update on Jan 6th...G L is totally out of rosewood for now. They are waiting on a large shipment of rosewood that is months behind.

Just to clarify which rosewood fretboards G&L are currently using:

Caribbean Rosewood (aka Chechen) is the default rosewood. See: Seen on G&L's Facebook page - Chechen fretboard.
Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia) is the no-cost option. See: Examples of Indian Rosewood fretboards ....

Reference post: January 25, 2018-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:00 pm

I wouldn't go chechen for a fingerboard, myself. Rosewodd is a good choice because it's a hard wood. Dense and rigid like maple.

Chechen is sometimes called "carribean rosewood," but it's not a true rosewood. It's actually a softwood, if I'm not mistaken.

Rickenbacker uses Chechen for their boards, but it's specifically because it takes lacquer well. Once it's lacquered, it's nice and hard. I'm afraid unfinished chechen would cause premature fret lift, or generally get mashed up more than typical fingerboard woods.

I could be totally mistaken.But that's what I've been told about Chechen.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 pm

neutralomen wrote:I wouldn't go chechen for a fingerboard, myself. Rosewodd is a good choice because it's a hard wood. Dense and rigid like maple.

Chechen is sometimes called "carribean rosewood," but it's not a true rosewood. It's actually a softwood, if I'm not mistaken.

Rickenbacker uses Chechen for their boards, but it's specifically because it takes lacquer well. Once it's lacquered, it's nice and hard. I'm afraid unfinished chechen would cause premature fret lift, or generally get mashed up more than typical fingerboard woods.

I could be totally mistaken.But that's what I've been told about Chechen.

Chechen is very hard. Not as hard as Ebony but similar to Indian rosewood. Janka scale between 2200-2500. Hard maple is 1450, in comparison. I just got 2 guitars in with Chechen boards and they remind me a lot of Pau Ferro, one of my favorite fingerboard woods. I admit I was skeptical, but am quite happy with the result.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:11 pm

killerburst wrote:
Chechen is very hard. Not as hard as Ebony but similar to Indian rosewood. Janka scale between 2200-2500. Hard maple is 1450, in comparison. I just got 2 guitars in with Chechen boards and they remind me a lot of Pau Ferro, one of my favorite fingerboard woods. I admit I was skeptical, but am quite happy with the result.

heh. Shows what I know!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:00 am

neutralomen wrote:
killerburst wrote:

heh. Shows what I know!

I think with CITES restricting all species of Dalbergia we should expect to see a lot of manufacturers offering rosewood substitutes. I look forward to seeing what unfolds.