Misallignment of Bridge screw holes Vs pickup pocket hole.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:15 pm

My bridge pickup pocket appears to be about 2mm too far from the four bridge bolt down holes. Because of this the pickup scrapes against the wood pocket when the pup is being adjusted. Also, it doesn't adjust as low as it should and it doesn't adjust as flat as it should.

Here is the reason for my diagnosis. To get the bridge plate holes to align with the bodies bolt down holes, I have to force the bridge toward the tail and slightly toward the controls. This is easy to do because the pup springs have lots of give. But, Once bolted down, the friction of the pup against the body is enough to keep the pup from sliding free and easy. I can raise the pup easily enough but the springs aren't strong enough to force it down when losening it.

I think I can grind down the inside with my dremel tool but first I need to buy the right attachments for it. The ASH might be tough to grind but not too tought. Filing down the metal edge of the pup might be easier and less awkward but I'm reluctant to get that much metal flying around it because of the magnets.

G&L should let me know if they want the serial number or photos or anything else for QC info. It is an ASAT from indonesia and the serial starts with 170709.

Re: Misallignment of Bridge screw holes Vs pickup pocket hol

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:41 pm

DugT wrote:My bridge pickup pocket appears to be about 2mm too far from the four bridge bolt down holes. Because of this the pickup scrapes against the wood pocket when the pup is being adjusted. Also, it doesn't adjust as low as it should and it doesn't adjust as flat as it should.

Here is the reason for my diagnosis. To get the bridge plate holes to align with the bodies bolt down holes, I have to force the bridge toward the tail and slightly toward the controls. This is easy to do because the pup springs have lots of give. But, Once bolted down, the friction of the pup against the body is enough to keep the pup from sliding free and easy. I can raise the pup easily enough but the springs aren't strong enough to force it down when losening it.

I think I can grind down the inside with my dremel tool but first I need to buy the right attachments for it. The ASH might be tough to grind but not too tought. Filing down the metal edge of the pup might be easier and less awkward but I'm reluctant to get that much metal flying around it because of the magnets.

G&L should let me know if they want the serial number or photos or anything else for QC info. It is an ASAT from indonesia and the serial starts with 170709.

Did you purchase this new? If so, you should contact the G&L dealer you bought the guitar from so that they can help you with getting it fixed under Warranty.
See G&L's main website Support page for details: Support Page. Note that the G&L factory is on holiday break until Jan. 2, 2018.

Hope this helps.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:19 pm

It was sold as "New" from a seller on Ebay and it seemed like it was new open box when I got it. The seller is in Las Vegas and seems to be affiliated with Music Man but maybe not.

Rather than ship it and wait for the return, I think I'd rather fix it myself.

If you were doing the repair, would you file the edge of the pup or grind away some wood? The problem is worst at the pups 1st string adjustment screw. I shouldn't be too hard to knock 1mm off of that corner. For all I no it is rediculous to consider filing metal off of a pup because of particle contamination but I could tape it off real well first.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:28 pm

DugT wrote:It was sold as "New" from a seller on Ebay and it seemed like it was new open box when I got it. The seller is in Las Vegas and seems to be affiliated with Music Man but maybe not.

Rather than ship it and wait for the return, I think I'd rather fix it myself.

If you were doing the repair, would you file the edge of the pup or grind away some wood? The problem is worst at the pups 1st string adjustment screw. I shouldn't be too hard to knock 1mm off of that corner. For all I no it is rediculous to consider filing metal off of a pup because of particle contamination but I could tape it off real well first.

Can you post some photos of this missalignment? Perhaps other members here can make some DIY suggestions. To post photos see: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:54 pm

The holes don't look misaligned so I can't think of a photo that would demonstrate the problem. The effect of the misalignment occurs inside the pup cavity after the bridge is bolted down. I could demonstrate it with a video but that would be a lot of work and right now I just want to fix it. Maybe I will take some before and after grinding picks. I've decided to grind the wood instead of the pup.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:00 pm

DugT wrote:The holes don't look misaligned so I can't think of a photo that would demonstrate the problem. The effect of the misalignment occurs inside the pup cavity after the bridge is bolted down. I could demonstrate it with a video but that would be a lot of work and right now I just want to fix it. Maybe I will take some before and after grinding picks. I've decided to grind the wood instead of the pup.

Is it the stock G&L ASAT Classic beidge? Can you atleast posts photos of the full lengh of the guitar (front and back)?

TIA

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:59 pm

The bridge has ASAT CLASSIC stamped across the top of it.

How about if I email photos to you?

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:37 pm

DugT wrote:The bridge has ASAT CLASSIC stamped across the top of it.

How about if I email photos to you?

Sure, and I will post them for you.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:53 pm

I couldn't figure out how to email the photos so I loaded them onto my flcikr page.

These first photos were taken before took it apart to solve the Bridge pup friction problem. The link doesn't work for me but it should work if you cut and paste it into your browser.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28286266@N02/albums/72157664166262448

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:58 pm

Here are photos of the bridge pup cave after I ground the side to make more room for the pup. While I had it apart I added shielding to the cavities. I also relocated the bridge shield wire to the bridge pup cave.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/28286266@N02/4j0g2w

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 pm

DugT wrote:I couldn't figure out how to email the photos so I loaded them onto my flcikr page.

These first photos were taken before took it apart to solve the Bridge pup friction problem. The link doesn't work for me but it should work if you cut and paste it into your browser.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28286266@N02/albums/72157664166262448

It is not currently viewable by guests of flickr. For services which allow setting image share permissions, make sure they are set to share all.

BTW, I sent you an email with my email address, so that you could send them to me. Please check to see if you received it.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 pm

DugT wrote:Here are photos of the bridge pup cave after I ground the side to make more room for the pup. While I had it apart I added shielding to the cavities. I also relocated the bridge shield wire to the bridge pup cave.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/28286266@N02/4j0g2w

Ok, I see these photos.

First off your Tribute model is the ASAT Classic Alnico. The pickups are not MFD pickups, so the pickup poles are not adjustable.
Did you get this from Musicians Friend or Guitar Center? See: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Did your mod fix the problem for bridge pickup adjustment?

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:49 pm

The inner box with the guitar had a label that said:

MFI
Kansas City, MO

The pup is fully adjustable now and it adjusts very smoothly.

I won't try adjusting the poles. Thanks for letting me know about that.

I never got your email. I tried to go into my account to check the email address and it said I had the wrong address. As long as I am logged it, I think I will ignore the problem.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 pm

DugT wrote:The inner box with the guitar had a label that said:

MFI
Kansas City, MO

The pup is fully adjustable now and it adjusts very smoothly.

I won't try adjusting the poles. Thanks for letting me know about that.

I never got your email. I tried to go into my account to check the email address and it said I had the wrong address. As long as I am logged it, I think I will ignore the problem.

Yes, it was from Musician's Friend (MFI).
Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem. I will let my contacts at G&L know about this issue and ask them to double check the bridge pickup adjustment on the Tribute Classic models.

Now that you have that resolved, please add your guitar to our G&L Registry. I see that you have not yet registered to use the G&L Registry, so see this post: Welcome! Read This First.

Hope this helps.