Changing Necks on a SC2

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:12 am

Greetings,

I've been looking for a used SC2 for a while but have found that all of the later models have neck profiles that are less than my favorite.
I have #2a neck from a ASAT Classic that I'd like to install, but haven't found any guidance on the compatibility with the SC2.
Anyone here have any words of wisdom on my chances of success putting the two together?

Thanks,
Ken

Re: Changing Necks on a SC2

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:58 am

eddy8dynamite wrote:Greetings,

I've been looking for a used SC2 for a while but have found that all of the later models have neck profiles that are less than my favorite.
I have #2a neck from a ASAT Classic that I'd like to install, but haven't found any guidance on the compatibility with the SC2.
Anyone here have any words of wisdom on my chances of success putting the two together?

Thanks,
Ken

I have emailed your post to Spencer (General Foreman) at the factory.

I got this automatic reply:

We are closed for the holidays and will have limited email access. I will return on Tuesday, January 2nd.

Thank you and have a wonderful holiday!

Warm Regards,
Spencer Brown

I should hear back from him sometime next week.

Stay tuned.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks Craig! I appreciate the help.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Craig wrote:
eddy8dynamite wrote:Greetings,

Thanks,
Ken

I have emailed your post to Spencer (General Foreman) at the factory.

I got this automatic reply:

We are closed for the holidays and will have limited email access. I will return on Tuesday, January 2nd.

Thank you and have a wonderful holiday!

Warm Regards,
Spencer Brown

I should hear back from him sometime next week.

Stay tuned.

Here is Spencer's reply (I had also asked about F-100 neck options, as well):

Hi Craig,

The issue with the F-100 and SC-2 neck is the headstock shape is different where the backshape blends into the back of the headstock.
To offer all our neck profiles would require re-designing the back shape blend to match the headstock with the other back shapes.
As these models aren’t very high in volume, combined with the unique headstock for just the two models, we haven’t spent the time to address
the neck profile options on these. Currently neither of these are set to get other neck profiles.

As far as swapping the classic neck on there, that will depend a lot on how old the classic is. All our necks have changed small amounts over time.
If the two are from the same period then they should match up pretty well. However, it may require doweling and re-drilling the neck mounting holes.
I would only recommend doing that if you are pretty familiar with this kind of work. Otherwise I recommend taking it to a qualified tech.

Thanks,

Spencer

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks Craig, that is a great help. I owe you and Spencer a beer.
If I find a suitable mate, I'll let everyone know how the process turns out.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:15 am

Finally got around to doing this. Bought a used 2017 SC-2 and replaced the neck with a 2016 Legacy one.
Worked out fine, no issues on the installation.
I’ll put the original on neck on the classified page in case anyone is in dire need on one.

For the life of me, I don't know why the SC2 isn't more popular. I'm lovin' this one.

[img][IMG]http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/Codflinger/IMG_0105_zpsy0pvbvrf.jpg[/img][/img]

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:12 am

eddy8dynamite wrote:Finally got around to doing this. Bought a used 2017 SC-2 and replaced the neck with a 2016 Legacy one.
Worked out fine, no issues on the installation.
I’ll put the original on neck on the classified page in case anyone is in dire need on one.

For the life of me, I don't know why the SC2 isn't more popular. I'm lovin' this one.

[img][IMG]http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/Codflinger/IMG_0105_zpsy0pvbvrf.jpg[/img][/img]

While I was fixing your photo post, I discovered you can post it as a url link (using the url BBCode) and it will display.
I removed the outer img & /img BBCode pair, here is the code:
Code:
[url=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/Codflinger/media/IMG_0105_zpsy0pvbvrf.jpg.html][img]http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/Codflinger/IMG_0105_zpsy0pvbvrf.jpg[/img][/url]

And here is the photo:

I'd love to see a full length shot of this guitar, too.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for fixing the photo Craig. Here's s shot of the whole guitar.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 am

eddy8dynamite wrote:Thanks for fixing the photo Craig. Here's s shot of the whole guitar.

Thanks for posting this photo! That neck looks great on your SC-2.

I just noticed that the pickup selector toggle has been replaced wtih a pot. Tell us about the mod(s) done to your guitar.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:06 pm

The selector switch was a bit touchy when I purchased this guitar and while I was in the process of replacing it I thought I'd see what a blend pot would sound like.
The verdict on that is that it adds some nice tones but only for about 30 degrees north or south of the center detent. After that is't virtually the same as flipping the switch to the bridge or neck position.

About the neck - I got that off the internet from a private seller. Judging from the sticker on the heel I believe that it may have come from the G&L web store. It's a 9.5" Modern Classic type. Very nice neck. My original intention was to use the #2A neck from an ASAT that I have, but I couldn't talk myself into doing that.

Obligatory photo of ASAT with heavenly neck:

Close inspection will reveal that the neck is from an ASAT Classic, further evidence that I can't just leave well enough alone.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 pm

The SC2 looks great with that neck , A Fallout neck would look good too as I've often thought the headstock is too big for the Body on the SC2 , I agree on don't know why the SC2 doesn't catch on with people as I sure like mine

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:46 am

Fumble fingers wrote:The SC2 looks great with that neck , A Fallout neck would look good too as I've often thought the headstock is too big for the Body on the SC2 , I agree on don't know why the SC2 doesn't catch on with people as I sure like mine

I have a 2008 SC2 and love it... it's my favorite guitar for playing surf music. And I love the huge headstock, I think it looks so cool. BTW...it's a take off from the old Fender Mustang that had that same large headstock. When I was in a band in my teens our rhythm guitar player had one. I need to get my SC2 in to get it fixed though because the fretboard is coming up on the treble side from the first to about the fourth fret. Should be an easy fix...