G&L S-500 tone too bright

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:45 am

Hi All,
I have a really nice shape S-500. Year of production unknown, I bought it used. I love most everything about the guitar except that the tone is too bright. And if I turn the treble down, it takes most of the cool dynamics away, and sounds too muffled. Im playing through a clone of a Fender Deluxe AB763 that has a Black Shadow 12"" speaker.
Is there a kit I can buy, pots and capacitors, and also maybe some adjustments, to boost the mid and trim the treble some? I do realize this is a 3 x single coil guitar so its not going to sound like a HH, and I don't want it to. Just that this is too bright for me.
Thanks!!!
Mike

Re: G&L S-500 tone too bright

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:05 pm

A few quick solutions that I've tried to my G&Ls over the years are to lower the pickups, try different strings (pure nickel or even just different brands of nickel wound), or use an eq pedal of some kind. For better or for worse, G&Ls with MFD single coils are bright, Some days they sound just right and other times it goes right through me. You could always look into a darker amp to pair it with if that's an option. The Blackstar HT series and the Fender Bassbreakers are a few I've tried that compliment each other well.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Mike,

What about the tone controls on your amp? I use an overly bright sounding silver face vibro champ at home and just turn the treble completely down for starters. Instead of turning down the high end starting at ten, I start with the amp treble all the way down and the guitar tone half the way up. A little treble with a Fender designed amp and guitar goes a long way.

Good luck and turn that thing up so we can hear it,

Y2kc

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks everyone! I will try lowering the pickups and also different strings. Also, I'll try fiddling with the amp tone controls.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:56 pm

I have a Comanche with a Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, which is very bright. Like others, I switched to pure nickel strings and keep the treble on the amp around 3. I cut treble on the guitar too, especially on the bridge pickup. I use nickel strings and similar amp settings with my Strat, which has Lace Sensor Hot Golds.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:04 am

mikepukmel wrote:Hi All,
I have a really nice shape S-500. Year of production unknown, I bought it used. I love most everything about the guitar except that the tone is too bright. And if I turn the treble down, it takes most of the cool dynamics away, and sounds too muffled. Im playing through a clone of a Fender Deluxe AB763 that has a Black Shadow 12"" speaker.
Is there a kit I can buy, pots and capacitors, and also maybe some adjustments, to boost the mid and trim the treble some? I do realize this is a 3 x single coil guitar so its not going to sound like a HH, and I don't want it to. Just that this is too bright for me.
Thanks!!!
Mike

You might want to check the wiring to see if it has been modified by a previous owner.
See these (in the Album: Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics of our Gallery):
Album: S-500 Diagrams
Album: 1989-present S-500 Control Description

Hope this helps.