Saddle numbers?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:02 am

I took the standard saddles off my Legacy fulcrum trem for Graphtech at the moment. I noticed there's number on the bottom of each... two saddles have a 1, two have a 3, and the other two have a 4. Which strings do these correspond to?

Re: Saddle numbers?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:08 am

interesting, I thought they were all the same?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:55 am

Toejam wrote:I took the standard saddles off my Legacy fulcrum trem for Graphtech at the moment. I noticed there's number on the bottom of each... two saddles have a 1, two have a 3, and the other two have a 4. Which strings do these correspond to?

US or Tribute Legacy? What is the build year? Can you post photos of these saddles (top and bottom)?
Have you measured the dimensions of each of those saddles? And do they look the same? Perhaps a previous owner mixed different year saddles.

See this post (there is info on saddle changes): What is the '05 to '06 Bridge and Trem arm differences?

Looking forward to see your photos. :searching:

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Different slot widths?

- Jos

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Oh, sorry, never got notification of any replies.

Anyway, it was a new 2014 USA Legacy I got off of ebay from Music Store Live back in 2016. The board is a 12" radius. All saddles look the same to me in size and width. I took a pic, and the two on the left are number 1, the middle are 3, and the right are 4. Was originally thinking maybe like Floyd Rose saddles that are three different numbers to differentiate height for neck radius, but that makes no sense since these have the typical height adjustment screws.

Last edited by Toejam on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Hope the pics work, as my imgur and photobucket accounts were acting screwy.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Different slot widths?
I think that Jos has nailed it. -- Darwin

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm

I don't think the slot widths are different. Not the greatest pic since they're not lined up perfectly next to each other, but they all seem pretty much the same.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:05 pm

G&L saddles for the DFV bridge don't have slots when they are brand new. Over time string action across them will cause a slot to form.
This photo is from the G&L On-Line Store:
The saddles are the same size and are interchangeable.

My guess is that there are multiple identical tooling molds used by the supplier of these saddles and each one has a different number
which is molded into the bottom of each saddle. I will see if I can find out for sure from one of my G&L contacts at the factory.

Stay tuned.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Cool. I'll stay tuned. Just thought it was a little odd and wasn't sure if they were supposed to go in a particular order.