Which Chandler order code for early Legacy Pickguard?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 1993 3-bolt Legacy and just bought a 1996 3-bolt Legacy. I want SSH pickguards for them. I'll be using aftermarket pickups. The Chandler site is a bit confusing as to which I should be getting.
http://pickguards.us/pricegandl.html
https://www.pickguardplanet.com/gl-pickguards/

1.) 6001 G&L USA Legacy - vintage - cannot bevel
2.) 618 G&L USA 1993 Legacy - SSS, 3-bolt neck

Which of those should I be ordering? Why can't the vintage one be beveled? Anyone know the difference between those?

Thanks

Re: Which Chandler order code for early Legacy Pickguard?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Rocktacular96 wrote:Hey guys,

I have a 1993 3-bolt Legacy and just bought a 1996 3-bolt Legacy. I want SSH pickguards for them. I'll be using aftermarket pickups. The Chandler site is a bit confusing as to which I should be getting.
http://pickguards.us/pricegandl.html
https://www.pickguardplanet.com/gl-pickguards/

1.) 6001 G&L USA Legacy - vintage - cannot bevel
2.) 618 G&L USA 1993 Legacy - SSS, 3-bolt neck

Which of those should I be ordering? Why can't the vintage one be beveled? Anyone know the difference between those?

Thanks

If both guitars have the original factory installed pickguards, you should be able to find Chandler's pickguard number written on the underside of each guard. That would be the
number to choose from. Also, do either of the current pickguards have beveled edges, if not, then the 6001 might be the one to choose from.

Let us know what you find out.

Just my $0.02.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:53 am

I was in the same boat. I have a three-bolt Legacy Special, and after a little discussion with Chandler, they said that I needed a #600 (I originally thought that I needed a 618, based on their site)

The #600 worked great for me.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am

Craig wrote:If both guitars have the original factory installed pickguards, you should be able to find Chandler's pickguard number written on the underside of each guard. That would be the
number to choose from. Also, do either of the current pickguards have beveled edges, if not, then the 6001 might be the one to choose from.

Let us know what you find out.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks, Craig. I'll do that when I get home. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 am

cbm wrote:I was in the same boat. I have a three-bolt Legacy Special, and after a little discussion with Chandler, they said that I needed a #600 (I originally thought that I needed a 618, based on their site)

That's interesting. So the new pickguards will fit the older 3-bolt legacies. Then I wonder why they differentiate with the 618 and 6001. I wish they would be more forthcoming with the differences.

I guess that means I should just order a 612, since that's the SSH version of the 600.

Thanks for the help.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:36 am

Chandler said, at the time:
# 618 is for a very specific group of instruments - those that we produced just before G&L switched their pickguard production to our company and only in 1993, so we don't belive this is the correct template for your 1995 model year instrument - it should be pattern # 600.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 am

cbm wrote:I was in the same boat. I have a three-bolt Legacy Special, and after a little discussion with Chandler, they said that I needed a #600 (I originally thought that I needed a 618, based on their site)

I would simply agree that calling the people at Chandler is the best way to handle something like this. They are friendly and helpful.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm

There's no number for Chandler, but they did reply to my email saying that the 612 should work for both.

UPDATE: I compared my two Legacies. One from 1993 and the other from 1994. They have no number markings on the underside. The 93 has 11-Holes instead of 8. The two pickguards do not match. They are close, but the differences are very apparent when laying them on top of each other. The pickups & neck pocket line up the same, but none of the holes line up and the route for the trem is a bit further from the bridge pickup with the 93. So the 94 pickguard will fit on the 93, but there's a bigger gap from the bottom of the pickguard to the bridge. The 93 pickguard will also fit on the 94 body, but the bridge route is a little too far down to clear the trem so it sits JUST under it. In either case, none of the holes line up.

I have two other Legacy pickguards that I bought used online. One is a USA G&L Legacy SSH, the other is a Legacy Tribute SSH. When comparing them to the 94, they both line up really close. All screws line up except for the one next to the neck on the bass side. These are probably the same if not similar to the 612. Neither of those have any holes that line up with the 93. I don't know what's up with my 1993 Legacy, but it seems to be an oddball.

So instead of going back and forth with Chandler over which pickguard I need for which and possibly have to send my guards in to be traced, I'm going to keep things simple and just order the 612 for both and just re-drill the holes in the bodies.

I'll post pics of what I found in a bit, in case anyone is interested

I hope this helps anyone with a similar situation. And, thank you all for the help!

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Don't take a drill to a perfectly good guitar, specially a G&L. Just take the time and send in the pick guard or a tracing to Chandler and do the right thing.

Just my Tuppence.

Tom

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:13 pm

FZTNT wrote:Don't take a drill to a perfectly good guitar, specially a G&L. Just take the time and send in the pick guard or a tracing to Chandler and do the right thing.

Just my Tuppence.

Tom

+1

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 am

FZTNT wrote:Don't take a drill to a perfectly good guitar, specially a G&L. Just take the time and send in the pick guard or a tracing to Chandler and do the right thing.

Just my Tuppence.

Tom

+1 (also).

Why not take a hi res photo of the pick guard to be replaced, and send that to Chandler along with all the relevant info on the guitar? I would be surprised if Chandler couldn't figure out exactly which pick guard template to use given that much info.

In any case, if I knowingly bought the wrong pick guard with the intention to drill new holes in the body to make that pick guard "work" - it would only be because I am lazy and impatient - though I would sell the idea to myself that I was an utilitarian baddass who gave zero shrift to aesthetic convention, because I was all about the music man. All about the music! :lol:

Sadly I am lazy and impatient, but even so, I would probably exhaust every avenue before settling on a compromised solution.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 am

I've been working on guitars for years, but maybe I'm missing something? I just want to change the screw hole location on a part of the body that is not visible with the pickguard on, not attack it with a handsaw. The reason behind this apparent "desecration" is to make this 93 body like almost every other Legacy in order to swap pickguards or easily order new ones as my heart desires. I also prefer the look of the 8 hole pickguard. To further add to the sacrilege, I'll be stripping one of the bodies down and refinishing it myself, just because I want to change the color. :D

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:19 am

Rocktacular96 wrote:I've been working on guitars for years, but maybe I'm missing something? I just want to change the screw hole location on a part of the body that is not visible with the pickguard on, not attack it with a handsaw. The reason behind this apparent "desecration" is to make this 93 body like almost every other Legacy in order to swap pickguards or easily order new ones as my heart desires. I also prefer the look of the 8 hole pickguard. To further add to the sacrilege, I'll be stripping one of the bodies down and refinishing it myself, just because I want to change the color. :D

Well, good for you, you utilitarian badass. Just remind me not to ever buy a guitar from you...

Tom

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 am

:o :o :lol: :o :o

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:24 am

FZTNT wrote:
Rocktacular96 wrote:I've been working on guitars for years, but maybe I'm missing something? I just want to change the screw hole location on a part of the body that is not visible with the pickguard on, not attack it with a handsaw. The reason behind this apparent "desecration" is to make this 93 body like almost every other Legacy in order to swap pickguards or easily order new ones as my heart desires. I also prefer the look of the 8 hole pickguard. To further add to the sacrilege, I'll be stripping one of the bodies down and refinishing it myself, just because I want to change the color. :D

Well, good for you, you utilitarian badass. Just remind me not to ever buy a guitar from you...

Tom

Tom. You crack me up man. I totally laughed out loud at work here. Everyone came rushing over to see what was so funny. lol. (for realz).

Dan

EDIT: it's maybe just me, but utilitarian badass sounds a whole lot funnier when someone else says it.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:28 pm

FZTNT wrote:

Tom

Yes, especially since I posted about how I'm going to mod it, sell it, and not disclose what I did to it. Oh wait... :roll:

As much as I appreciate your advice while implying my intent on deceiving a future buyer and peculiarly mocking the idea of someone capable of modifying an item they own to their own means,...I'm not selling this guitar.
I apologize for the confusion, but did not ask how I can treat my guitar properly according to vintage Leo Fender specs to keep it immaculate for resale. If I ever do, I know who to ask. Meanwhile, I do not care one bit what someone who used to own the company and didn't even play guitar thinks I should or shouldn't do to something I own and bought for cheap. Let alone, you.

I didn't buy an expensive showpiece guitar that will increase in value over the years. I already have some of those. I bought a dinged up G&L Legacy that sounds great and plays great,....to play. I'll perform whatever utilitarian badassetry I damn well want with it.

Thank you for the help and the compliment. Being a utilitarian badass certainly comes in handy in many aspects of life. :cheers:

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am

Well, it is a funny term and I completely support you in whatever you do to your guitar, after all, as you said, it's yours to do with as you please.

You might find that me, and some others on this forum, have a peculiar sense of humor so don't get too ruffled up about a comment meant to be entirely tongue in cheek. My apologies if you got your panties in a wad over something I said because it truly was meant to be humorous.

Tom