What do you know about this guitar?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 am

Hi guys,

I am the proud owner of a G&L Asat silver sparlkle Will Ray signature, like this one: https://reverb.com/item/2452214-g-l-wil ... er-sparkle
I've bought it from a famous Dutch guitarist in 2007.
Obviously it is a rare guitar. G&L told me that there are less than 200 of this Will Ray line manufactured, and that's including the other colors and variants (hollow body's and such).
What I'd like to know is how many of the same model as mine exist? And what would it be worth by now?
I get a lot of response from other guitarists after shows with my band. Every guitarist who has laid eyes on my G&L seems to want to buy it.
Not that I'm selling, but I would like to know what I have on my hands here.
What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Re: What do you know about this guitar?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Not photographed with the B bender installed. I'd like to see a headstock and serial number shot before pulling the trigger.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

I think he already pulled the trigger. However your points are valid. Did the guitar come with the B-Bender?

Tom

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:37 pm

He's using the Reverb picts just for reference ** but that's interesting on the NO B Bender on the Reverb guitar

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:He's using the Reverb picts just for reference ** but that's interesting on the NO B Bender on the Reverb guitar

The Hipshot B-Bender is easily removed and re-installed.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Also, do Will Ray models have an option for F-hole deleted? I thought with most signature series you could not select options. I know color was an option on Will Ray, but I thought that was about it for options on this model.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Kevinm wrote:Hi guys,

I am the proud owner of a G&L Asat silver sparlkle Will Ray signature, like this one: https://reverb.com/item/2452214-g-l-wil ... er-sparkle
I've bought it from a famous Dutch guitarist in 2007.
Obviously it is a rare guitar. G&L told me that there are less than 200 of this Will Ray line manufactured, and that's including the other colors and variants (hollow body's and such).
What I'd like to know is how many of the same model as mine exist? And what would it be worth by now?
I get a lot of response from other guitarists after shows with my band. Every guitarist who has laid eyes on my G&L seems to want to buy it.
Not that I'm selling, but I would like to know what I have on my hands here.
What do you guys think?

Cheers!

The U.S. made Will Ray Signature model was in production from 2002 - June 2015. Reference: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).
Please post some photos and include the serial number. Do you have any providence documentation that the guitar was owned by a famous Dutch guitarist?
See this post for finding out valuation: Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?.

Looking forward to seeing your guitar.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm

WitSok wrote:Also, do Will Ray models have an option for F-hole deleted? I thought with most signature series you could not select options. I know color was an option on Will Ray, but I thought that was about it for options on this model.

Yes, they did have that option.

Reference: 2014-15 (pre-July 1) G&L U.S. Specifications and Options

Will Ray Signature Model
(Available in right-hand only)
Finish Choice of Standard or Premier Finishes included
Body Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on all Premier finishes
Neck Comanche headstock and #1 neck profile with Rosewood fingerboard
Inlays Unique skull inlays designed by Will Ray himself
Pickups Will Ray Hell-Billy Z-Coil pickups
Controls 5 position pickup selector, volume, tone with push/pull enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all 3 pickups together
Bridge G&L Saddle Lock bridge with factory installed Hip-Shot B-Bender
Tuners Locking Tuners
Includes 2 Will Ray instructional DVDs: B-Bender Mania and Stealth Slide, and a pair of Will Ray’s trademark slide rings

Will Ray Signature Model Semi-Hollow
(Available in right-hand only)
Same as Will Ray Signature Model, except features twin Voice Chambers on the left and right sides of the body. Available with or without F-hole.
Standard and Premier finishes included. Swamp Ash body.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:19 am

JagInTheBag wrote:Not photographed with the B bender installed. I'd like to see a headstock and serial number shot before pulling the trigger.

I'll take the pictures today after work. I didn't attach pictures of my guitar because I have jet to figure out how to attach pictures to posts!
I do have the B bender but I unscrewed it because I don't use it and it's quite heavy.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:20 am

FZTNT wrote:I think he already pulled the trigger. However your points are valid. Did the guitar come with the B-Bender?

Tom

Yes, the guitar came with the B bender, the case, the certificat and the Will Ray instruction video. I unscrewed the B bender because of it's weight.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 am

Kevinm wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:Not photographed with the B bender installed. I'd like to see a headstock and serial number shot before pulling the trigger.

I'll take the pictures today after work. I didn't attach pictures of my guitar because I have jet to figure out how to attach pictures to posts!
I do have the B bender but I unscrewed it because I don't use it and it's quite heavy.

See this post (aka Forum rules): Welcome! Read This First.
In it is a link to the Tutorial: Posting photos post.

Hope this helps.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 am

Kevin wrote:... I've bought it from a famous Dutch guitarist in 2007 ...!

Hi Kevin,

Being Dutch myself, I'm just curious who that famous guitarist might be? Jan Kwakman of the 3Js by any chance?

- Jos
PS For this that aren't aware already: If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much! :D

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:- Jos

"If isn't Scottish, it's crrrap! Everything Scottish and Pizza!" :evilgrin:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:21 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Kevin wrote:... I've bought it from a famous Dutch guitarist in 2007 ...!

Hi Kevin,

Being Dutch myself, I'm just curious who that famous guitarist might be? Jan Kwakman of the 3Js by any chance?

- Jos

Hi Jos,

I think you mean Jaap Kwakman! ;) And yes, he's the one who used to own the guitar!

- Kevin