G&L S-500 (SSS) mod to (SSH f-100 humbucker)

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:05 am

I finally decided to go for it. Have ordered my F100 pickup and it is on the way, so I could get to mod my S-500 with humbucker in bridge because I never really used the single alone and it's gonna be more "rock and roll". Plus, splitting the F-100 will allow about the exact same tone. So far, stuff to warn people about, if you ever wanna do the mod - will confirm all this after it is actually done, but all my searched got me those answers.

Here are precisions to take note of :

1. F-100 pickups won't permit to have regular legacy knobs. The humbucker is too large and the spacing, though probably working, will be very very thight and I use knobs a lot, especially on the S-500. So you might have to buy chrome dome knobs to replace plastic knobs. All in all, leads to another problem.

2. Dome knobs won't fit regular split shaft posts. Two options from there : buy solid shaft pots or buy conversion sleeves. All-parts sleeves does the trick, mainly.

3. Here is a totally aesthetic point, which won't change much, but if you got OCD like me, you can take it in consideration. If you got white pickups covers and want to put black ones, you can do it, but have to heat them up before because they are wax potted. Be careful, if it doesn't slick easily, don't force it or it can break the copper wire. Placing the new cover needs some heat too!

4. The f-100 won't fit regular pool legacy / s500 cavity. You have to add some wood (mainly gluing wood block in), because the pickup won't have any wood to screw in. It cannot be screwed in the pickguard, which is a minor mod.

5. You can get a pretty convincing single coil sound out of the F-100, so the mod won't alter the original sound much if you do the split coil option. (I will confirm this when the mod is done, but someone on the forum who already did the mod said it was pretty convincing - my bet goes that way sincle F-100 is mainly a MFD humbucker).

Now, for some nice pics of the guitar before the mods. Will bring the guitar to a luthier, I want the job to be clean, and I'ld rather not take any chance as the guitar is pretty awesome.

Re: G&L S-500 (SSS) mod to (SSH f-100 humbucker)

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Gorgeous AXE! Thank you for the update. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:02 am

Still waiting for the pickup... should come by the end of the week though. It takes a long while with regular post service. Guess I don't have to complain since it's Christmas time and they are probably overloaded with stuff and packages. Will keep in touch! Cheers!

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:29 pm

That'll be a fun guitar, I'll be patiently watching.
Agree with Jag, that's a really good lookin' guitar :thumbup:

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:13 am

Thanks mate! I really love this guitar!

It's actually at the luthier. Asked him to take pics of the process and he agreed on. Will have the guitar by dec 22nd. Stay tuned!

PS : should had made a vid or a audio file of it before mod... it just kinda slipped my mind!