View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Please Compare ASAT Classic vs Special for G L Noobe. 

Post Please Compare ASAT Classic vs Special for G L Noobe.
Hi, G L Noobe here. Please give opinions on ASAT Classic vs Special. Thanks!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:45 am

Post Re: Please Compare ASAT Classic vs Special for G L Noobe.
They sound different... :banana:

Best I could find on the You Tube:

phpBB [video]

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am
Profile WWW

Never played a classic. I've had a couple tribute specials and I own an SC-2 that has similar pickups to the special. In my mind, the classic is G&L's spin on the "classic" tele specs i.e. one with a lipstick neck pickup and single coil bridge. So I expect tones to be tele-like. Twangy on the bridge and thicker neck tones, but they'll both have that thin single coil flavor.

The special's neck pickup is the same one as in my SC-2. This pickup sounds very strat-like. The bridge pickup is more tuned to a twangy tele pickup, but with a little more bass. I like to think of the SC-2 (and by association the ASAT special) as a strat in the neck position, a tele in the bridge and middle positions, and with more output than traditional single coil pickups.

In my opinion, the ASAT special would be the way to go. I rarely, if ever, wish my pickups had less output and a narrower frequency response. When in doubt I usually go with the guitar that has the most versatility and requires the less outboard gear to get it to sound how I want it.

http://thekickups.bandcamp.com

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:12 am
Profile WWW

Which pickup configuration? The ASAT Classic can be either MFD or Alnico. ASAT Classic Alnico will be more like a tradition Telecaster. The MFD version is fuller/thicker and higher output. The MFDs have more mid and bottom end than the Alnico. Here is a demo of an MFD ASAT Classic vs American Telecaster.

phpBB [video]

To me the large MFDs in the ASAT Special are "special" - If I could only keep one between the Classic and the Special, I would choose the special. The larger MFDs are even more rich / full in tone. Plenty of spank in the bridge position. The neck pickup is so smooth - best sound neck pickup I've come across. They both work very well with the tone and volume pots to give you great versatility. The Saddle-Lock bridge is a better bridge in my opinion and give the guitar more sustain.

Nick does some of the best demos I've seen. Here is one for the Tribute ASAT Special.

phpBB [video]

Both a great guitars, and I'm glad I have one of each. If you want something that is like a traditional Telecaster, then the Alnico variant of the Classic is the way to go. If you want a more modern interpretation that works well with a lot of effects, then either the MFD Classic or Special. If traditional aesthetics are important, then a Classic.

Hope that helps. Hopefully Sam chimes in, he has an awesome ASAT collection and can probably give way better insight than me.

Cheers, Dan

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:13 am
Site Admin

Here are the videos posted on the main G&L website in the Spec Video Demo pages:

ASAT Classic:
phpBB [video]

ASAT Special:
phpBB [video]

Hope this helps.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:38 am
Profile WWW

Good call Craig! I forgot about those videos...

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks for the input everyone. More opinions are welcome, please.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:07 am

I suddenly want an ASAT Special.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:54 am
Profile WWW

docdynamite wrote:

well, i've been a big fan of the jumbo mfd p'ups on the asat special for years. now that i have a bluesboy i am a big fan of that combo as well, but the 2 guitars really sound quite different, the bridge p'up on the bluesboy brighter, the humbucker more mellow, and the tone control very important, as it is on a tele. there is some magic in those jumbo mfd's though! my tribute ASAT special had a mahogany body and those p'ups on that guitar sounded fantastic, especially playing live.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 am

drjho7 wrote:
docdynamite wrote:

Quote:
well, i've been a big fan of the jumbo mfd p'ups on the asat special for years. now that i have a bluesboy i am a big fan of that combo as well, but the 2 guitars really sound quite different, the bridge p'up on the bluesboy brighter, the humbucker more mellow, and the tone control very important, as it is on a tele. there is some magic in those jumbo mfd's though! my tribute ASAT special had a mahogany body and those p'ups on that guitar sounded fantastic, especially playing live.

So John, When you say that your bluesboy bridge pickup is brighter does that mean more twang than the special?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:55 am

yup, not as twangy as an alnico pup, but twangier than the jumbo coil mfd, imo.
(relative degrees of twanginess or twangability)

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:08 am

If you want a sample of the ASAT Classic Alnico, here is a tasty demo. This is the Classic S version with Alnico pickups and a Legacy pickup in the middle position. There is a push / pull pot that give you the bridge and neck combination and all three in combination.

phpBB [video]

Cheers, Dan

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]