Fret depth and bridge covers

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Hey! I've got two questions I was unable to get answered via the dealer to g&l route!
So I own a 2008 ASAT Bluesboy with a #2 neck and in planning for my next purchases I've noticed the increase in neck options. I'm wondering what differences the number 2 and 2b neck produce in regards to their fret depths. with the 2b heritage vintage c frets being a bit deeper, according to the chart, at the first fret, but shallower at the twelfth. Sonically noticeable? Affecting playability or strictly aesthetic?

My second question is, noticing that the JB comes with a chrome pickup cover, I'm wondering if G&L are producing or planning to produce bridge covers for the JB and the ASAT line as well! I'd be willing to buy one for sure! If not, are there any sources anyone can share? (For an ASAT bridge cover)
Thank you!

Re: Fret depth and bridge covers

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:31 am

pihstekcor wrote:Hey! I've got two questions I was unable to get answered via the dealer to g&l route!
So I own a 2008 ASAT Bluesboy with a #2 neck and in planning for my next purchases I've noticed the increase in neck options. I'm wondering what differences the number 2 and 2b neck produce in regards to their fret depths. with the 2b heritage vintage c frets being a bit deeper, according to the chart, at the first fret, but shallower at the twelfth. Sonically noticeable? Affecting playability or strictly aesthetic?

My second question is, noticing that the JB comes with a chrome pickup cover, I'm wondering if G&L are producing or planning to produce bridge covers for the JB and the ASAT line as well! I'd be willing to buy one for sure! If not, are there any sources anyone can share? (For an ASAT bridge cover)
Thank you!

:wave:

I passed your neck question on to Steve Grom, G&L Director of Manufacturing, and here is his response:

All the measurements for “depth” at either the 1st or 12th frets are taken from the back of the neck to the surface of the fingerboard directly in front of the specified fret (using dial or digital calipers as the measurement tool)

The dimension between the top of the fret and the surface of the fingerboard stays constant from one fret to the next over the entire neck. That dimension will be different depending on the size of fret (vintage, medium jumbo, jumbo, etc) selected for a specific neck.

The neck shape and front-to-back depth is more personal preference than anything else. There is really no tonal difference and it’s more about which neck shape and depth feels most comfortable for someone’s playing style.

About the only time neck shape and depth starts to play a more significant role in the tonal character of a guitar is when a large, thick neck (thicker than any of our current necks) is used. There are player who feel some of the great sounding, early Telecasters and Esquires benefited by having such large/thick necks. Over the years, regardless of the potential sound improvement, players have determined that thinner necks are easier to play and that’s what they prefer.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regarding bridge covers, only the G&L JB bass has one from the factory. For the ASAT Classic models, you would need to seek an aftermarket solution. Here is a recent thread in another forum here on the Ashtray cover.
BTW, I got one from stewmac.com.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:57 am

Thanks Craig! (and Steve)
So am I understanding this properly, that the fret depth is actually a term used to describe the thickness from back of the neck where your thumb might rest to the fingerboard at those specific frets?
Very thorough answer! Thank you

Wow, so in addition to the pickup cover the JB comes with a bridge cover too? Do you have to request the bridge cover or does it come with both? I only ask because i've only ever seen the G&L pickup cover pictured like in the finish examples on the gl website.

Excellent thanks for the link to the other thread and stewmac, I missed it!
Would that be the ideal one to go for since I see Fender selling reissue bridge covers where the seller states that it's for vintage tray style bridges and it won't fit their modern bridges. Or have you not tried that particular one on your ASAT?

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:07 am

pihstekcor wrote:
Wow, so in addition to the pickup cover the JB comes with a bridge cover too? Do you have to request the bridge cover or does it come with both? I only ask because i've only ever seen the G&L pickup cover pictured like in the finish examples on the gl website.

Brain fart on my part :oops:

No, only the pickup cover comes with the JB bass, you can order it with or without the cover. There is no bridge cover for the Saddle-Lock bridge.

Sorry for the confusion!