WILL RAY ASAT NGD

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:14 am

HELLO ALL....NEW TO THE FORUM!

I picked this up this week. 2005 Will Ray Signature ASAT

I was doing a setup on it this morning, decided to pull the neck and discovered some pretty exciting info on the neck!!! Looks like it was a NAMM guitar.

This baby plays and sounds incredible!!!!

Re: WILL RAY ASAT NGD

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:22 am

Hey Brentrocks!

Congrats on yer Will Ray from another WR owner. :alright: Best guitar on the planet. That's a beauty for sure.

Do you have the B Bender? A Will Ray through that Super Reverb gotta be magic! :thumbup: What year is the amp?

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:10 pm

What we're looking at here is a 2005 Silver Metal Flake ASAT Special body where somebody swapped in a Will Ray Signature neck. It is not the WR Sig proper which would have Z-coil pups and a Hipshot B-Bender.

Bit of an oddity.

- Jos

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:20 pm

When I first saw this I thought someone mounted a Will Ray neck on a John Jorgenson body. But then I saw the body date, I knew the body was just an ASAT Special body with
an aftermarket clear pickguard. Perhaps a sort of tribute to 2/3rds of the Hellecasters. ;)

:ugeek:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Dean,

A while back I saw a similar set up on Reverb with b bender listed as a Will Ray, and also thought I saw an ad at some time with same set up. Was there ever a Will Ray model with big MFD's?

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:15 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:What we're looking at here is a 2005 Silver Metal Flake ASAT Special body where somebody swapped in a Will Ray Signature neck. It is not the WR Sig proper which would have Z-coil pups and a Hipshot B-Bender.

Bit of an oddity.

- Jos

I have sent an email to G&L to see if the guitar left the factory this way.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:39 pm

sam wrote:Dean,

A while back I saw a similar set up on Reverb with b bender listed as a Will Ray, and also thought I saw an ad at some time with same set up. Was there ever a Will Ray model with big MFD's?

None as an official G&L signature model, but here are couple of images of Will with an ASAT and modded (he added a middle old style S-500 MFD pup) ASAT Special:

Hey Will if you see this, do you happen to recognize brentrocks guitar and if so, can you post some history about it? :searching:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Mr Ray posts here???

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:10 pm

brentrocks wrote:Mr Ray posts here???

Yes, he used to be a regular poster here, but not so much anymore. You can check out his profile: helle-man.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Nice Score,
As a WR fan, there's a few custom G&L's he had built that are worth checking out;
there's one of them here:
viewtopic.php?p=73055#p73055

Welcome to the club!
Elwood

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Wow! I just fell off my chair! Great guitar!

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:37 am

docdynamite wrote:Wow! I just fell off my chair! Great guitar!

thanks man!

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:40 am

Well I got a response back from G&L.

They said they cant find my serial number because they lost a bunch of serial numbers due to a computer failure.

I think its safe to say its a NAMM custom one off....due to the "WILL RAY NAMM" on the heel of the neck.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:30 pm

It looks like a regular silver sparkle ASAT that someone stuck a WR neck on. My model always had Z coils, not MFD's.

Keep in mind my timeline with G&L was this:

1991-1996 I was an endorsee, no signature model.
1996-2001 All 3 Hellecasters went with Fender on a 5 year contract with signature models.
Sept. 2001 I came back to G&L and started working on a signature model.
2002 the first Will Ray signature G&L's came out.

That said, I find it an interesting guitar. It probably was made as a NAMM guitar which adds value. The WR neck is a USA one which also adds value. Probably someone at the factory made it up as an employee guitar. I'd hold onto it. I'll bet it sounds great!

My 2¢
Will

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 am

:wave: Hi Wil! Good to hear from you on the board! :wave:

Still enjoying my WR Signature...

ImageG&L USA ASAT Z-3 Will Ray Signature by Patrick Krook, on Flickr

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:04 pm

WILL!!!

HOLY CRAP!!

Thanks for the reply dude!!!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:34 am

See: PSA "Wil Ray NAMM" for sale again....