Problem with my Empress wood ASAT classic

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:56 pm

I have a 2016 production ASAT classic made of Empress wood. I really enjoy the guitar and it is easy on my back, especially when I have 3-4 hour long rehearsals. My concern with the guitar is that the strap button nearest the bridge keeps backing out. The other strap button is fine. Is there something I can do to fix this. I know empress wood is soft, but I am afraid its going to strip out completely.

Re: Problem with my Empress wood ASAT classic

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 pm

i usually get a box of wooden kitchen matches and jam one in the hole for the strap button, break it off at surface, then screw it back in. some use glue as well. i have never had to.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Don’t have any trouble with my Empress Bluesboy but I’m using a longer screw from when I used to have strap locks on it, maybe give that a try, to me Empress isn’t soft like Balsa wood for how light it is

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:24 am

I've used John's method before to repair stripped out screws, it worked well for me.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:00 am

Or a tooth pick.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:02 pm

just like they said: use a matchstick or a toothpick and maybe additionally drop some good glue in there and you should be just fine.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:05 pm

TOOTHPICK TRICK WORKS EVERY TIME

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:20 pm

If you still have problems after the match trick you'll have to drill it out and put a dowel in. The strap button will cover it up afterwards