Asat Special or SC2 ?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 am

Hello ! I enjoy my Tribute Fallout every day and I'm planning to buy an american G&L for Christmas. I don't have a dealer in my country and I need some opinions from people who played/tested G&L guitars, especially the Asat Special and SC2.
I really want the big MFD pickups in my next guitar, so I have to choose between these two models.
From what I've heard and read, the SC2 sounds warmer, has more balls and midrange punch but still a single coil sound (that's perfect for me!). On the other hand, the Asat Special is on the brighter side..much closer to a tele. I don't know if this is true...that's why I'm writing here :)
I already know their specs on paper but I would like to know what do you feel when you play these guitars :)
I play alternative rock but with a lot of funk and jazz influences.

Thank you !
Adrian

Re: Asat Special or SC2 ?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 am

I should think either guitar would work for you. Unfortunately I have no experience with the new wide MFDs.
I would say that my old ASAT with them sounds great- love it. I would not describe it as particularly tele-ish though. It really has a pretty unique tone.
It does seem easier to find SC2s with the DFV bridge which could be a factor for some and may impact tone too?
Happy hunting.

Cheers. Eric

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:20 am

Hi Adrian, I own '80's ASAT and SC-2 with the large coil MFD's. They are certainly wonderful sounding pickups with a wide tonal range. The newer ASAT special and SC-2 have pickups that have more wire "turns" or "wraps" than the older pickups, especially the newer SC-2 pickup at the bridge position. I don't think of these as mid-rangy p'ups, though, like perhaps p90's or humbuckers. I'm also not sure it is safe to say the SC-2 is "warmer" than the ASAT. Some may say the opposite is true. When you run these guitars through a tube amp with a nice gain stage, like Marshall, Blackstar, or Mesa, you get a very nice overdrive sound, but through a clean channel, they are bright and clean with wide tonal range. As Mutts stated, they do not sound like Fender single coils. Really, it comes down to body style preference when comparing these 2 guitars, I think that's the biggest difference. They both have their merits.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 am

I've played and owned a tribute asat special and I own an SC-2. I prefer the SC-2. I like the body shape more, the bridge pickup is a little hotter. Which isn't to say it loses any of it's single coil sound, but if you want to play heavier it handles it much better. I like the feel and mojo of the SC-2 better as well. It's light, but balanced. It's a more unique looking guitar and it's just fun to play. So my vote is for the SC-2. Not to further complicate your decision, but I would throw the Doheny into the mix as well. I've never played one, but one of the features I wish the large MFDs had was the PTB system. I don't like the body type as much as the sc-2, and they are generally a little heavier (though I've seen some made of empress in the 6-7 pound range). But sonically I bet the doheny is an improvement over the sc and asat special.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 am

My Asat is from the 80's and my SC-2 is a re-issue. It is hard to say, I love them both. As Drjho7 stated , the 80's MFD's are different than the newer MFD's so it is hard to say which are better. They both do cleans really well. The bridge pickup on the SC-2 is definitely hotter , i usually roll off the tone and volume a tad to take a bit of hair off. I can get great rock sounds with both guitars, although the Asat is really noisy unless it is in middle position. The MFD's really take to overdrive. I have not played a newer Asat special so I don't know if the bridge is wound hot like the SC-2. Other than that it comes down to what body shape you prefer. SC-2's are not as common , so if you want something different I agree with mikemjr12 and you should try for an SC-2.

Paul

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Just other things to consider...
I would miss the forearm and belly cuts, and the tighter waist of the SC-2 compared to a standard ASAT Special. The controls are laid out better, being free from the control plate. By the time you get the front and rear contour and the ASAT Special RMC, the guitar costs more than the SC-2 and is a bit heavier.

IMHO, if you like the body shape of the Fallout, run with the SC-2.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:28 pm

I have an early 90’s asat and the new SC-2... to my ears the SC-2 sounds less full and rich than the asat... but i’m a neck pup guy and the SC-2 is not where it shines, clean it’s ok but cranked, crunch or with more gain, i don’t really like it... sometimes it sounds too focused and flat... the bridge pup is pretty cool, punchy and cut through the mix... but when i gig i always take my asat and asat classic...

Don’t know why, maybe the wood or the lighter body, but the sound is not there with the SC-2 like it is with my asats... but the light body SC-2 is pretty cool for rehearsal... ^^

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Thank you very much for your replies, you helped me a lot. Since there's no big differences between them I think I'll go with the Asat Special :). Is easier to find one in Europe so I don't have to order from US. I'm a big fan of G&L guitars..I think these guitars cover a lot of ground and have some unique features. This company reminds me of RND (Rupert Neve Designs). Mr Neve started it from scratch after already made history with his past recording gear and still had the brain to innovate.
I'll post some photos soon :D

Thank you again for your time !

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:15 pm

I just got my first SC-2. I had an Asat Special semi-hollow in the late 90's and early 2000's. I was shocked how much I like my SC-2. It has a little harder edge to it than the Asat Special. It has an amazing neck on it and a unique sound. The SC-2 would be more comfortable on stage for 2-3 hours since it has the contours and isn't neck heavy like my Asat Special.