what g&l do I have

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:30 pm

I just bought a beat up asat classic. it can be fixed. no problem there. but my problem is I'm not sure if it is classic or bluesboy. it has single coil bridge (seymore duncan) and what looks like 2 single coils together, probably some form of humbucker in neck. no name on them. I took neck off and on neck it has (asat black hs inv, below that it has asat class) on body it has build date of 2005. serial number clf36212. It is very lite. I own 2 other g&l's 1987 sc3 and asat z-3 both are much heavier. I need to find pickguard for it. I need to know what I have.
Thankyou
Sam

Re: what g&l do I have

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:32 pm

sal wrote:I just bought a beat up asat classic. it can be fixed. no problem there. but my problem is I'm not sure if it is classic or bluesboy. it has single coil bridge (seymore duncan) and what looks like 2 single coils together, probably some form of humbucker in neck. no name on them. I took neck off and on neck it has (asat black hs inv, below that it has asat class) on body it has build date of 2005. serial number clf36212. It is very lite. I own 2 other g&l's 1987 sc3 and asat z-3 both are much heavier. I need to find pickguard for it. I need to know what I have.
Thankyou
Sam

Hi Sam,

If you can post a photo of the guitar it will really help us identify it.
See the G&LDP Guidelines for posting photos.

If it does have a Seymour Duncan in the bridge, then it is not stock. Is the body Mahogany and does the
neck humbucker have a nickel or chrome cover?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:12 pm

bridge pickup does have seymour duncan on it. my research says it may have alnicoas4250b in neck. black. i'm not sure I'd know how to post a picture. no cover on pickup. looks like two single coils together. i"ll try to figure out picture thing.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:27 pm

sal wrote:bridge pickup does have seymour duncan on it. my research says it may have alnicoas4250b in neck. black. i'm not sure I'd know how to post a picture. no cover on pickup. looks like two single coils together. i"ll try to figure out picture thing.

It does sound like it was an ASAT Classic Bluesboy and that a previous owner replaced the stock pickups with aftermarket
pickups.

Here is another possibility: ASAT Classic Bluesboy Special Build:

Does it look like this one? And does it have arm contour on the front of the body and a transparent red finish on mahogany body?

Pleas do read the G&LDP Guidelines for posting photos.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 pm

neck pickup is correct. however it is black with black headstock. looks like someone replaced pickups. it sounds good though. Real good for 300.00. thanks for your time. I bought it off ebay. they said previous owner drilled holes and then sealed them with epoxy. he also installed a cross into the wood, guess he was religious, who knows. I bought it as a classic, but I also believe it was a bluesboy which is a guitar I really wanted. who knows, maybe I got lucky, no way to know for sure that I know of. by the way, holes were from pickguard he took off. one new pickguard and other than small cross itll look pretty good. I'll have to work on that cross.
thanks
sam

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:57 pm

sal wrote:neck pickup is correct. however it is black with black headstock. looks like someone replaced pickups. it sounds good though. Real good for 300.00. thanks for your time. I bought it off ebay. they said previous owner drilled holes and then sealed them with epoxy. he also installed a cross into the wood, guess he was religious, who knows. I bought it as a classic, but I also believe it was a bluesboy which is a guitar I really wanted. who knows, maybe I got lucky, no way to know for sure that I know of. by the way, holes were from pickguard he took off. one new pickguard and other than small cross itll look pretty good. I'll have to work on that cross.
thanks
sam

To revert it back to a stock Bluesboy, though, you will need to replace the pickups with a SD Seth Lover (potted) and an ASAT Classic Bluesboy MFD bridge pickup.
BTW, the MFD pickup is modified to solve a ground plane issue with the humbucker.

Sounds like you got yourself a great deal on the guitar. :thumbup:

When you get a chance, please register it in our G&L Registry.