NGD It's coming, November 16th...

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:38 pm

...a long awaited New Guitar Day.

Re: NGD It's coming, November 16th...

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Grabbing a Doheny?

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:Grabbing a Doheny?

Nope, this one was in the hopper WAY before the Doheny was a thing...

Hint:

Nitro

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Intrigued....

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am

glvourot wrote:Intrigued....

Here is another: Black Korina

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:25 am

Well, we're waiting..... :zzz:

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Hellooo McFly, I can't use my flux capacitor right now and get back to the 16th. :lol:

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:28 am

2017? :whome:

It don't exist without pictures... ;)

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:40 pm

nitro and black limba???? Hmmm... A special run of something. Fallout? S-500 RMC?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:50 pm

As requested:

ImageG&L Comanche by Patrick Krook, on Flickr

Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Badass!!
Nitro..baby :alright:

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Cool Comanche. What are the neck and fret board made from. I take it this is a brand new custom order? Let's here the full story.

Tom

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:31 pm

DUDE! I applaud your vision. :clap: :clap: That looks amazing and original. Congratulations!

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:31 pm

She is a Semihollow no "F" hole, black limba with light tint nitro. The neck is Q-sawn hard rock maple, also supposed to me light tint nitro gloss (it showed up clear gloss but I've waited so long I'm leaving well enough alone). From the time the order was placed to when I was being finished, they came out with block inlays, so I changed the order to black blocks. I suppose that is when the neck tint was lost in translation. This is the new "Modern Classic" neck and I love it.

WR Z coil in the bridge, reverse headstock, locking tuners, etc. I plugged it into the Rivera Venus 3 for the first time last night. It brought me back to the first time I played a G&L (also was through a Riv) as a kid in 1992 in a music store. The tonal palette is unparalleled. This one is no wall-hanger, it will see a lot of playing time.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Original Order sheet

ImageNitro Tint, G&L Custom Creations Comanche Project by Patrick Krook, on Flickr

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:39 pm

Sweet, too bad you had to wait so long but by the looks of that beauty it was worth it. Must be the light or maybe a flash but the fretboard looks almost dead white. Maybe the lack of tint too. Either way, great guitar.

Play the hell outta that thang!

Tom

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Question: Why, or what's the purpose in putting a Black Limba top on top of a Black Limba body. Why not make it one big chunk of Black Limba? Is it a stability thing? I have several all Mahogany bodies...

Tom

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Build Sheet:

ImageUntitled by Patrick Krook, on Flickr

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:57 pm

FZTNT wrote:Sweet, too bad you had to wait so long but by the looks of that beauty it was worth it. Must be the light or maybe a flash but the fretboard looks almost dead white. Maybe the lack of tint too. Either way, great guitar.

Play the hell outta that thang!

Tom

Yes, it is dead white. I ordered it tinted, it didn't come that way. I'll get over it I suppose.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:00 pm

FZTNT wrote:Question: Why, or what's the purpose in putting a Black Limba top on top of a Black Limba body. Why not make it one big chunk of Black Limba? Is it a stability thing? I have several all Mahogany bodies...

Tom

It is one big hunk of Black Limba, they cut the top off to chamber it and then blue it back on, same as a maple fretboard on a maple neck. I like the sound and sustain of Limba, and the resonance of a semi-hollow, not to mention the weight relief. Essentially this concentrates the high-density wood down the middle and makes the wings light and resonant.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:19 pm

My oh my, you got a winner there!! :alright:

Looking forward to a tone report and any clips you can post.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:
FZTNT wrote:Question: Why, or what's the purpose in putting a Black Limba top on top of a Black Limba body. Why not make it one big chunk of Black Limba? Is it a stability thing? I have several all Mahogany bodies...

Tom

It is one big hunk of Black Limba, they cut the top off to chamber it and then blue it back on, same as a maple fretboard on a maple neck. I like the sound and sustain of Limba, and the resonance of a semi-hollow, not to mention the weight relief. Essentially this concentrates the high-density wood down the middle and makes the wings light and resonant.

OK, that makes more sense.

Well, if there were such a thing, (maybe we should start such a thing), I nominate this guitar for "Guitar of The Month". It's truly unique and a beautiful Comanche to boot. Well done!

Oh...why no PLEK?

Tom

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Nice! :shocked028:
Welcome to the black limba club, Jag.
I bet the chambered comanche sounds sweet.
I also love the quality and looks of the fretboard.
I am also a fan of the modern classic neck - just about perfect. enjoy!

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Wow, that's gorgeous! It's really cool that you can order a thinline without an F-hole. I wonder if they'll ever offer a semi-hollow Doheny... That would be awesome.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:47 am

Happy NGD, that is a fine looking axe :D

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:04 pm

tomanche wrote:DUDE! I applaud your vision. :clap: :clap: That looks amazing and original. Congratulations!

I am glad you appreciate the imagination that went into this. Still would like to see that warm tint brought all the way through the neck though. :eh:

Elwood wrote:Badass!!
Nitro..baby :alright:

Thank you Elwood!

drjho7 wrote: Nice! :shocked028:
Welcome to the black limba club, Jag.
I bet the chambered comanche sounds sweet.
I also love the quality and looks of the fretboard.
I am also a fan of the modern classic neck - just about perfect. enjoy!

This modern classic neck just feels, easy. It has already spoiled me for all the other guitars I have. :D

BoringPostcards wrote:Wow, that's gorgeous! It's really cool that you can order a thinline without an F-hole. I wonder if they'll ever offer a semi-hollow Doheny... That would be awesome.

This is what I am waiting for on the Doheny...

And yes Sam, I will work on some new material that shows off the versatility of this beauty and will certainly to share it. First, let's get through the holiday weekend!

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:11 pm

Congratulations Patrick! The black block inlays are starting to grow on me... The Black Limba is gorgeous.

Cheers, Dan. :thumbup:

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 am

I concur with the general consensus - that is a looker for sure. I'm thinking it'll sound warm and round, hope you can post some sound or video clips.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 pm

I don't usually like reverse headstocks, but in this case, I'll make an exception. Really pretty.