Premier Guitar-First Look: G&L Doheny (video)

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:02 am

PG's John Bohlinger rocks and rolls with the new bolt-on offset featuring new vintage-voiced single-coils with formvar wiring.

phpBB [video]

:ugeek:

Re: Premier Guitar-First Look: G&L Doheny (video)

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:52 am

This is the kind of review I have been waiting for

+1

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:13 am

John Bohlinger comes off as usual, unprepared, unprofessional, and uninformed about the product he is reviewing. Even his mic set up sucks. Still, the Doheny manages to shine through his ineptitude. Thumbs Up.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 pm

John Bohlinger comes off as usual, unprepared, unprofessional, and uninformed about the product he is reviewing. Even his mic set up sucks. Still, the Doheny manages to shine through his ineptitude. Thumbs Up.

I agree with everything you said except that the Doheny manages to shine through.This " review " does a disservice to the guitar , G&L should ask them to take it down. I also get tired of mindless noodling. Play some songs at least.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 pm

He's a bit cheeseball but this video is 10 times better than the jazzmaster vs doheny video. They do these all the time, they are just first look videos. There will be a professional review video sometime soon.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:35 am

Johnny Alien wrote:He's a bit cheeseball but this video is 10 times better than the jazzmaster vs doheny video. They do these all the time, they are just first look videos. There will be a professional review video sometime soon.

That was my take too. I don't watch television, so I didn't know Bohlinger from Adam. I saw the same lack of product knowledge and preparedness as everyone else, but it didn't bother me to the same level as it did others. The fact that he didn't really understand what he was holding in his hands till he played it - made his gushing endorsement quite credible.

For those others who didn't quite care for Bohlinger, or thought that the Doheny didn't shine enough in his video...

I went back and looked at Doheny vs. Jazzmaster video. I wasn't impressed (for the second time). I also noted that although it's been up for a month with just over 2,500 views. There have been no new comments on that video for the past two weeks, and the comment at the top of the six(!) existing comments reads: ("Btw; love to hear the Godin with the TV Jones pickups (I believe) on the right.").

Looking at Bohlinger's video, which was posted on the 6th (three days ago) It has over 10,000 views, and over 70(!!) comments. The comment on top there, at the time I am posting this, reads: "This brand deserves way more love by consumers! What a fantastic guitar and what great consistency throughout their history."

Bohlinger's schtick may annoy some, but he has demonstrably done more for the brand (and this model in particular) than the aforementioned video (Doheny vs. JM) has done. Bohlinger may not be the best spokesman for the product (given his modest fame, and quirks), but he and given a credible endorsement in the video (made all the more genuine by his apparent cluelessness) that got me far more interested in the Doheny model than the other video did. That video (D vs JM) presented the Doheny in a way that did not make me want to spend money on one. By the end of Bohlinger's video, I was seriously re-thinking my decision to pass over the Doheny. To be fair, I began researching finishes, etc. after seeing Bohlinger's video.

That's what I was on about in my first comment in the thread. I had been waiting for someone to present the Doheny in a way that would actually make me want one, rather than just a demonstration to sate my my curiosity over how the Doheny would sound. Bohlinger's video did what the former one had not.

Edited for clarity

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:03 am

He's a corny dude. Decent player though, even if I can't stand wanky blues noodling.
This video is redeemed by how much time he spent on the vibrato.
There are little to no videos of people really getting into it with the DF vibrato.
Last edited by BoringPostcards on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Dan makes some valid points. Perhaps I am missing the point of this video. This is John's first impression of the guitar, candid and live. I can roll with that.

By the same token, he is like this on his more formal reviews as well. I prefer the work of Andy, formerly of PGS and how of Reverb. Polished, informative, plays in styles and bring out the strength of a given guitar.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Now that I have heard a little more of the guitar in this video I am convinced that it contains all of the necessary G&L DNA to be a good sounding and playing guitar. Regardless of body wood, color etc. I am really hung up on the name. It's great to pay homage to the famous beach (although being a serial east coaster had never heard of it prior to the release of this guitar) but I believe that the name is going to kill this guitar. It's just too niche to appeal to most and sad to say, It's not the best G&L you can get for the money. They might have perhaps launched it as a Tribute and see what happens from there. There, I said what I have been thinking since it came out.

Tom

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:36 am

FZTNT wrote:Now that I have heard a little more of the guitar in this video I am convinced that it contains all of the necessary G&L DNA to be a good sounding and playing guitar. Regardless of body wood, color etc. I am really hung up on the name. It's great to pay homage to the famous beach (although being a serial east coaster had never heard of it prior to the release of this guitar) but I believe that the name is going to kill this guitar. It's just too niche to appeal to most and sad to say, It's not the best G&L you can get for the money. They might have perhaps launched it as a Tribute and see what happens from there. There, I said what I have been thinking since it came out.

Tom

Buhleave me, I went nine rounds with names- the factory chose this. It is a name that does more harm than good. But perhaps there is hope we can coin a "nickname" that IS cool.

Suggestions?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm not sure either, to be honest, I didn't liked the review at all (and I don't know the dude). Looks rather unprofessional... but hey, that's just me, don't wanna add oil and gas in the fire - And I would have done a way worst demo than that, pretty sure of it, as I never did any - though it might be tempting, I don't have enough skills to do it. All in all, I wouldn't have bought that guitar over this demo, and trust me, I don't need much to be convinced in spending money on guitars... Yep, Andy would have been KILLA on those guitars. He is the one who convinced me in buying my first G&L guitar and I felt in love since then. Maybe if I haven't played G&L bass in the past, I wouldn't have checked G&L guitars, but Andy made it a first choice when I watched his black HB guitar and the cool turquoise burst Legacy special prototype.

Talking about that, not that I wanna highjack or anything, but, why doesn't this color exist anymore? I would sell a lot of my gear just to get a turquoise burst finish with maple neck! It just looks stunning!

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:59 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:

Buhleave me, I went nine rounds with names- the factory chose this. It is a name that does more harm than good. But perhaps there is hope we can coin a "nickname" that IS cool.

Suggestions?

When they won't even put the name on the headstock you know that they weren't all that happy with the name, right?

Just sayin...

Tom

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Haven't Leo name all is guitars over army stuff? Why not going with the same logic? Maybe I am wrong too...

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:02 pm

i agree with Tom. The fact that the name is not on the guitar says something. Personally, I'm not a fan of the model logo delete. I think the headstock looks naked without the model on it. All my G&L have the model on them.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:30 pm

The Skunkworks

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:00 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:The Skunkworks

+1

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:15 pm

G&L "Peacekeeper" (name of an experimental missile)... dunno, to fit Leo's names already on (S500, ASAT) Would fit with the guitar no, how can a surf guitar not try to keep peace? :) Just rabbling...

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Crusher wrote:G&L "Peacekeeper" (name of an experimental missile)... dunno, to fit Leo's names already on (S500, ASAT) Would fit with the guitar no, how can a surf guitar not try to keep peace? :) Just rabbling...

...ever google F-100 and 'Fender' , and most the results are trying to sell you parts for your Ford truck?
...carry on ;)

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:38 am

Haha never noticed ;) Well, carry on!

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:48 am

FZTNT wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:

Suggestions?

When they won't even put the name on the headstock you know that they weren't all that happy with the name, right?

Just sayin...

Tom

I don't think this the case, for some reason I get the feeling the logo delete is the preferred marking these days. Just check out G&L facebook feed, I swear most have the model delete logo, even if it is not a body match headstock. I seen several comment on this forum and facebook about how people really like the clean look of the model delete. I think this is why they did it... Personally, I prefer the model name on the headstock. I also prefer painted or body matched headstocks - but they come model delete as default. My ASAT Classic S has model delete as it has body matched headstock. My guess is the dealer must have not known you had to state you wanted the model logo when body match was specified... I have to admit I was slightly disappointed when it cam model delete. I can kind of understand why the model delete with body match headstocks, depending on the color (especially dark colors) the model might not show up. But Margarita Metallic is light and the logo would shown up just fine.

As for the name, I don't mind Doheny. Not sure what is so terrible about it. It is better than JM-2 or something along those lines... Also, I don't think HG-1/HG-2, SC-1/SC-2/SC-3, S-500, or Legacy are military names, so a non-military name seem just as appropriate.

If anything, I think the not having a Jazzmaster style trem system is what most people will object too, even though other people such as Suhr use a Strat syle trem system as well. Just my opinion...

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:40 am

JagInTheBag wrote:
FZTNT wrote:Now that I have heard a little more of the guitar in this video I am convinced that it contains all of the necessary G&L DNA to be a good sounding and playing guitar. Regardless of body wood, color etc. I am really hung up on the name. It's great to pay homage to the famous beach (although being a serial east coaster had never heard of it prior to the release of this guitar) but I believe that the name is going to kill this guitar. It's just too niche to appeal to most and sad to say, It's not the best G&L you can get for the money. They might have perhaps launched it as a Tribute and see what happens from there. There, I said what I have been thinking since it came out.

Tom

Suggestions?

Hmmm. The Shoegazer?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 pm

I don't mind the name Doheny. I too had to look it up but I don't think it takes too much away. I'm sure there are better names out there, and it seems silly but the name is somewhat important. I think there's been some disappointment in the way G&L has marketed it so far. So much of guitar product marketing is video and testimonial based, and when the model launched there was only a 5 minute demo that really left me asking more questions than I had going into it. And now we're having to wait weeks between demo videos that, while well intentioned, aren't exactly the kinds of videos I look for when researching gear.

But this is really an issue I think G&L has that isn't exclusive to the Doheny. Try looking for multiple demos of the SC-2 that were made in the last year or so. They just aren't out there. Andy's from PGS is nice, but it was made in 2009 or something. Or what about the current F-100? The solamente? You can usually find demos of tribute lines fairly easily, but I find the resources and information regarding some of their top models lacking.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm

mikemjr12 wrote:I don't mind the name Doheny. I too had to look it up but I don't think it takes too much away. I'm sure there are better names out there, and it seems silly but the name is somewhat important. I think there's been some disappointment in the way G&L has marketed it so far. So much of guitar product marketing is video and testimonial based, and when the model launched there was only a 5 minute demo that really left me asking more questions than I had going into it. And now we're having to wait weeks between demo videos that, while well intentioned, aren't exactly the kinds of videos I look for when researching gear.

But this is really an issue I think G&L has that isn't exclusive to the Doheny. Try looking for multiple demos of the SC-2 that were made in the last year or so. They just aren't out there. Andy's from PGS is nice, but it was made in 2009 or something. Or what about the current F-100? The solamente? You can usually find demos of tribute lines fairly easily, but I find the resources and information regarding some of their top models lacking.

Agreed. dB, Darth, are you listening?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:37 pm

FZTNT wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:

Suggestions?

Just sayin...

Tom

Nah, see: Re: New G&L offset model: Doheny!

As far as the name goes, I think they did a good job of explaining the choice for the name.
Inspired by the classic surf sound born in Southern California, the new G&L Doheny™ takes its name from the iconic beach in the heart of Orange County
where '60s surf pioneers became legends. Since those halcyon days, both music and surfing have evolved far beyond their roots, and so has the the performance of the gear.

Do you remember seeing the ASAT model for the first time ... and saying what does "ASAT" stand for?... just sayin'. ;)

Judging by the number of Doheny's they have already built and shipped (world wide,too), I would say they've got a hit on their hands. See: Photos of the new Doheny model ....

:ugeek:

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:03 pm

They certainly did do a good job of explaining the choice of name for the Doheny, just as they did the ASAT or Comanche (a helo I believe). But it just doesn't roll off the tongue like ASAT or the other guitar names. I'm sure they could come up with a thousand different names so at least it could be worse, huh?

Tom

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 am

I liked it !!... Has lack of G&L knowledge confirms we are not getting a Fan Boy doing the review , makes it seem more honest and he played enough riffs to make me want one even more .

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:25 am

Fumble fingers wrote:I liked it !!... Has lack of G&L knowledge confirms we are not getting a Fan Boy doing the review , makes it seem more honest and he played enough riffs to make me want one even more .

+1

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:39 am

Here's another Doheny review from John Bohlinger/ PG:

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Craig on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed video post to be inline

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 am

Why the name isn't a big big deal I honestly hate it. I also agree that a tribute model should be considered just because for the price point every other G&L design seems more appealing to me right now.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:09 pm

goatofballstreet wrote:Why the name isn't a big big deal I honestly hate it. I also agree that a tribute model should be considered just because for the price point every other G&L design seems more appealing to me right now.

I live in Orange County, but that's not why I'd heard of Doheny; the Beach Boys talk about it two of their most popular songs:
Surfing USA: And down Doheny way
Surfin' Safari: They're kicking out in Doheny too

...Anyway, this is the most appealing guitar in G&L's catalog to me. I love regular Jazzmasters, and part of that is the ergonomic shape, sitting, standing, and in terms of fret access. The other part is how gorgeous they are. This is a great addition to the catalog, and if they blow them out under $1k I'll grab one for sure; preferably with blocks/maple and pastel finish.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 pm

goatofballstreet wrote:Why the name isn't a big big deal I honestly hate it. I also agree that a tribute model should be considered just because for the price point every other G&L design seems more appealing to me right now.

Just saw this on G&L's Facebook page.

"Check out the new G&L Tribute Series Doheny. The requests for this have just been crazy. Four color combos: Jet Black or Olympic White with maple, Surf Green and Lake Placid Blue with rosewood."

https://www.facebook.com/GnLguitars/pho ... 43/?type=3

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Looks like they have a semi hollow version available now too. Sweet!