Tribute Legacy Bridge Problem

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:41 am

First of all, my intent is NOT to be overly critical of G&L, but I found this thread after searching the Internet to see if anyone else had the same issues with a Tribute Legacy that I've had for quite awhile. I have other guitars to gig with and I've let this one just sit on a stand in my family room. I'll pick it up for awhile and play it until it drops out of tune. G&L used to use their USA hardware on the Tributes and those were great guitars. I attended a Will Ray clinic at the local G&L dealership and he played a couple of Tributes to show everyone how fine they were. The vibrato unit they use now is not anywhere close to the same quality as the USA unit. I have both so I can compare them.

I have a 2015 Indonesian Tribute Legacy that was purchased in January, 2016, and it has given me a lot of grief. After trying four sets of springs with varying tensions and after setting the base level, tilted upward or tilted downward, the guitar, after being tuned up, will drop out of tune with the slightest use of the vibrato arm or with my hand hitting the vibrato unit. I understand how this unit is supposed to work. I had an early F-100 and even spoke with Dale Hyatt before ordering it. I own a USA Legacy with a vibrato. I spent five minutes setting that vibrato as I wanted it and for about ten years now I've not had the first tuning issue. (I also own a USA Z-3 semi-hollow and love that guitar.)

I still have some warranty left on the guitar but if G & L won't honor it after I post this, so be it. Just minutes ago I unscrewed the posts and took out the main vibrato unit and examined it. I could barely get the post through the left side post hole on the base. I tried both posts and both were very hard to fit through that hole while both would easily pass through the right side base hole. So, one or both post holes are out of tolerance and no matter what I do the vibrato binds and the guitar will not stay in tune.

I bought the guitar from Musician's Friend as a "Musician's Friend Model." It has a transparent red finish, rosewood fingerboard, mahogany body with maple cap, and a 12 inch fingerboard radius. The neck is finished with a satin finish.

I hope someone from G&L will read this and respond. Otherwise I will still try to contact the service department. I really don't want to spend $40 or $50 each way to return an entire guitar - which came in a carton with no case - and have it shipped back to me when I already know what the problem is. I've thought of ordering a USA vibrato unit to install on this guitar, but that's another $100 expense for me.
Last edited by Craig on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin moved post to it's own topic.

Re: Tribute Legacy Bridge Problem

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:23 pm

davguitar wrote:First of all, my intent is NOT to be overly critical of G&L, but I found this thread after searching the Internet to see if anyone else had the same issues with a Tribute Legacy that I've had for quite awhile. I have other guitars to gig with and I've let this one just sit on a stand in my family room. I'll pick it up for awhile and play it until it drops out of tune. G&L used to use their USA hardware on the Tributes and those were great guitars. I attended a Will Ray clinic at the local G&L dealership and he played a couple of Tributes to show everyone how fine they were. The vibrato unit they use now is not anywhere close to the same quality as the USA unit. I have both so I can compare them.

I have a 2015 Indonesian Tribute Legacy that was purchased in January, 2016, and it has given me a lot of grief. After trying four sets of springs with varying tensions and after setting the base level, tilted upward or tilted downward, the guitar, after being tuned up, will drop out of tune with the slightest use of the vibrato arm or with my hand hitting the vibrato unit. I understand how this unit is supposed to work. I had an early F-100 and even spoke with Dale Hyatt before ordering it. I own a USA Legacy with a vibrato. I spent five minutes setting that vibrato as I wanted it and for about ten years now I've not had the first tuning issue. (I also own a USA Z-3 semi-hollow and love that guitar.)

I still have some warranty left on the guitar but if G & L won't honor it after I post this, so be it. Just minutes ago I unscrewed the posts and took out the main vibrato unit and examined it. I could barely get the post through the left side post hole on the base. I tried both posts and both were very hard to fit through that hole while both would easily pass through the right side base hole. So, one or both post holes are out of tolerance and no matter what I do the vibrato binds and the guitar will not stay in tune.

I bought the guitar from Musician's Friend as a "Musician's Friend Model." It has a transparent red finish, rosewood fingerboard, mahogany body with maple cap, and a 12 inch fingerboard radius. The neck is finished with a satin finish.

I hope someone from G&L will read this and respond. Otherwise I will still try to contact the service department. I really don't want to spend $40 or $50 each way to return an entire guitar - which came in a carton with no case - and have it shipped back to me when I already know what the problem is. I've thought of ordering a USA vibrato unit to install on this guitar, but that's another $100 expense for me.

It sounds like you don't have the bridge setup correctly. For the factory setup see: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges. The bridge plate needs to be parallel to the body, not "tilted upward or tilted downward".

If you still have problems after doing the factory setup, you need to contact the selling dealer to get it taken care of under Warranty. See: G&L's Support page.

:ugeek:

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:43 pm

When you took the bridge out, how many felt washers were on each pivot bolt? There should be two washers for each bolt.

Can you post some photos showing the nut, bridge and the trem block with the springs?

Areas of possible binding: Nut, pickguard around or near bridge, and trem block path in the trem cavity.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:27 am

I had problems with my legacy some months ago. I thought it was doomed for too, really, but it was a huge mistake of me. The problem was the height of the vibrato : too close to the body (posts set too low), got stuck on the pickguard everytime without me noticing. It also needed some nut grease, but it wasn't the problem to begin with. The vibrato needs to be set higher than the pickguard or it will get stuck on it when you touch the vibrato may it be pulled or push, results were the same for me... Made me angry lot of time, and I really thought I had it figured until a friend of mine helped me out with the setup (I can do great setup, but for some reasons, I was unable to notice what was the issue on it). At least, that was my problem, might be different for you, just guessing here. Don't want to lack any respect, just some troubleshooting that could help out.

Don't worry about the saddles, they can be lowered way enough to have a soft touch (that was my apprehension). Sorry if it can be out of context, I have read your text but have some kind of short attention span when I am tired (which is what I am right now). Setup is of the essence, I am pretty sure of it, and you probably know how to set it up - then again, just trying to help, it can be something you already tried, just wanna point it out just to give you a helping hand.

Also, if you got too light string gauge, it can cause issues with the springs and overall setup... used to put 9-42 and it was way too light for the 3 springs and cause some kind of issues (my s500 is 9-42 without problems, but with the legacy, it was impossible). To be honest, putting on 10-46 was a wisest choice for it, and it really helped out having a better tone - guitar set properly, it was as easy to play on 10-46 as when on 9-42.

On the other hand, if you are still under warranty, shouldn't the store do it for free?

Cheers

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:50 am

Craig wrote:Image

When you took the bridge out, how many felt washers were on each pivot bolt? There should be two washers for each bolt.

Can you post some photos showing the nut, bridge and the trem block with the springs?

Areas of possible binding: Nut, pickguard around or near bridge, and trem block path in the trem cavity.

There were two felt rings, and there was no other potential source of binding to be found.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:53 am

I'm pleased to report that G&L has worked with me on this and the issue is resolved.

I must say that this is a manufacturer that truly supports those who play their instruments!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:59 am

davguitar wrote:I'm pleased to report that G&L has worked with me on this and the issue is resolved.

I must say that this is a manufacturer that truly supports those who play their instruments!

Glad to hear it was resolved to your satisfaction. :thumbup:
What exactly was the issue and how did they fix it?

Please post some photos of the guitar and do add it to our G&L Registry.