Vintage G&L SC2 vs Reissue

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 am

When I first started playing guitar I had an opportunity to purchase an original G&L SC2 from a neighbour but being too young at the time I was set on a Big F stratocaster. It didn't take me long to realize I was not the biggest strat fan and I ended up with a G&L F100 a few years later I love. I still think about that SC2 with a great longing and regret and have been searching for a maple neck, white body SC2 for a while. There's one on Reverb that's been sitting for about $1000+ but for that much I can just purchase a new one. However the new ones seem to have very neck options, the retail ones only have rosewood, and I actually am not a fan of the contours.

What I'm really curious about though is how close sound wise the reissues are to the vintage. I know the vintage slabs are maple body which I have talked myself into believing is a big part of their sound. I feel like if I were go for a new one I would be better off getting an Asat Special with the DFV bridge option as I want a maple neck with the 80s profile neck.

Re: Vintage G&L SC2 vs Reissue

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:40 am

the new SC-2's have more wire wraps on the big coil MFD's, especially at the bridge, and therefore have more bite/output than the early 80's version. i like the red hardtail '83 SC-2 on reverb right now. very tempting. he is willing to come down on the price.
the old ones do have considerable mojo!

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm curious about the differences as well since the SC2 is on my radar for possible future purchase. I go back and forth about new/old given the relative cost. In some ways I actually prefer the looks of the new ones. I really like the pickups in my new BB90 so I can only assume the wide mfds are well built and sound as good as the old models. The increased output at the bridge could be a meaningful upgrade unless somehow tone was compromised.
It would be nice to hear from somebody who owns both.

The new one sounds good here, imo (particularly after he rolls back the dist.).

phpBB [video]

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:57 pm

The slab body and high gloss maple mojo is still pulling me in, does anyone know if it's possible to order custom spec SC2 necks now? specifically with the 7.25 radius option and a maple vintage tint gloss neck? The new one in that demo sounds very inspiring

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:04 pm

goatofballstreet wrote:The slab body and high gloss maple mojo is still pulling me in, does anyone know if it's possible to order custom spec SC2 necks now? specifically with the 7.25 radius option and a maple vintage tint gloss neck? The new one in that demo sounds very inspiring

For the current U.S. Specs and Options see: September 1, 2017-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.
Also, see: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Craig wrote:
goatofballstreet wrote:The slab body and high gloss maple mojo is still pulling me in, does anyone know if it's possible to order custom spec SC2 necks now? specifically with the 7.25 radius option and a maple vintage tint gloss neck? The new one in that demo sounds very inspiring

For the current U.S. Specs and Options see: September 1, 2017-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Hope this helps.

Hm looking through the option list its seems like I would probably go the route of a G&L Asat Special to get the 7 1/2 Slim C Vintage Tint Gloss neck I want. It doesn't seem to stay in the options but would I be able to order an Asat Special with the SC2 wound bridge pickup? Now the next hardest step is deciding what finish...

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 am

goatofballstreet wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hm looking through the option list its seems like I would probably go the route of a G&L Asat Special to get the 7 1/2 Slim C Vintage Tint Gloss neck I want. It doesn't seem to stay in the options but would I be able to order an Asat Special with the SC2 wound bridge pickup? Now the next hardest step is deciding what finish...

Fretboard radius is a separate option, so you can order the SC-2 with a 7 1/2" radius.

If I'm not mistaken, sometime in or after 2013, the SC-2 bridge pickup was changed to the same pickup used in the ASAT Special.
Reference the G&L On-Line Store: PICKUP - JUMBO MFD SINGLE COIL (STANDARD).
G&L Magnetic Field Design pickup as used on all ASAT Special, SC-2 and ASAT S-3 (neck and middle position only) guitars. Available in Black, White and Crème.

For ASAT Classic Custom (neck position), ASAT S-3 (bridge position), please see Jumbo MFD single coil (other).

I found this post in 2014, which confirms that the bridge pickup in the SC-2 model is the same as the ASAT Super model bridge pickup:
Large MFD of SC-2 bridge position availability?

Here is the link to the version of that pickup in the G&L On-Line Store: PICKUP - JUMBO MFD SINGLE COIL (OTHER) [select the ASAT S-3 (RW/RP bridge position) pickup].

I will check with Spencer after he returns from vacation later this week, to confirm if this is still true with the current production builds of the SC-2.

Last edited by Craig on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added a previous post which confirms the SC-2 bridge pickup is still over-wound (same as the ASAT Super) and added link to it in the G&L On-Line Store.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Biggest difference is going to be the neck, as you've identified. The #1 neck on the reissue IMO is too chunky for the SC2s svelte body, it feels mismatched. The neck on the 80s ones is much better, again IMO.

As for colour, you can't go wrong with red, black or white.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:38 pm

I honestly find most of the stock neck G&Ls come with way too chunky for my taste. Tried many reissues and just couldn't gel with any of them.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:49 am

the new modern classic neck profile is pretty nice, less chunky than the previous #1 C.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:06 am

drjho7 wrote:the new modern classic neck profile is pretty nice, less chunky than the previous #1 C.

However, the current SC-2 models only come with the Classic C profile:

September 1, 2017-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options wrote:SC-2™ (right-hand only)
Pickups: two jumbo G&L Magnetic Field Design single-coil pickups
Controls: rear mounted 3-way pickup selector, volume, tone
Neck profile: Classic C (no neck profile options)
Radius: 12”
Body wood: alder on standard and solid finishes, swamp ash on Premier finishes
Finish: Standard finishes included

September 1, 2017-present Neck Profile Options wrote:Classic C - This is the profile most G&L fans associate with the post 2000 era. 1 5/8” nut width, slight edge roll, medium taper from 0.830” to 0.960”.
It starts off fairly slim and gets beefier up the neck. These specs were part of the #1 neck.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 pm

yup, G&L should change up that option for SC-2 and offer the modern classic neck!

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:53 pm

I really like the classic #1 neck. It's my current favorite actually.
I'm a little bummed it's not an option on the Doheny.
To me the 1 11/16 nut seems a tad klunky- not a deal breaker though.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:49 pm

I have the #1 classic C on my comanche and I have learned to like it. It feels very solid and it really rocks.
If it were a 1/2 mm bulkier I wouldn't like it!

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:16 pm

I just bought my first SC-2 2 weeks ago. I can't say enough how much I like everything about it. The neck is perfect and it rings like a bell. It records really well and sounds good through any amp.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 am

Craig wrote:
goatofballstreet wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

Fretboard radius is a separate option, so you can order the SC-2 with a 7 1/2" radius.

If I'm not mistaken, sometime in or after 2013, the SC-2 bridge pickup was changed to the same pickup used in the ASAT Special.
Reference the G&L On-Line Store: PICKUP - JUMBO MFD SINGLE COIL (STANDARD).
G&L Magnetic Field Design pickup as used on all ASAT Special, SC-2 and ASAT S-3 (neck and middle position only) guitars. Available in Black, White and Crème.

For ASAT Classic Custom (neck position), ASAT S-3 (bridge position), please see Jumbo MFD single coil (other).

I found this post in 2014, which confirms that the bridge pickup in the SC-2 model is the same as the ASAT Super model bridge pickup:
Large MFD of SC-2 bridge position availability?

Here is the link to the version of that pickup in the G&L On-Line Store: PICKUP - JUMBO MFD SINGLE COIL (OTHER) [select the ASAT S-3 (RW/RP bridge position) pickup].

I will check with Spencer after he returns from vacation later this week, to confirm if this is still true with the current production builds of the SC-2.

Has Spencer confirmed whether it is an ASAT Super pickup or an ASAT Special pickup? I would hope it is the Super!

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:58 am

Does anyone know what the value of the tone pot in the current SC-2 guitars (mine is a 2017)? I've been looking around and can't seem to find it. I want to tame the harshness without having to use an EQ pedal if possible and was thinking about swapping for a lower value pot. As it is, the treble on my amp is essentially off and the tone knob is rolled back until it is almost off and I'm still just getting too much of the ultra highs, even on the neck. I've lowered pickups and tried different strings and all that. I think it's inherent to the pickups and pots and think a lower value or some other mod could help, but maybe I'm wrong.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:48 am

Even with a 500k pot what you are describing is odd. With the treble all the way down and the tone all the way down and using the neck pickup I would assume you would get low end mud.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Ha yeah that's what I was expecting too. I was playing fairly overdriven and loud too. Which is obviously nice to be able to get that kind of a sound out of it. That's one of the reasons why it's such a great guitar. It just seems like there's this really high frequency that I can't dial out using the tone knob and amp treble. I know I'll probably be resigned to an EQ pedal, which is fine, but i'm curious if anyone has experimented with different pots or things like that.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 am

Plexiclone_ wrote:I just bought my first SC-2 2 weeks ago. I can't say enough how much I like everything about it. The neck is perfect and it rings like a bell. It records really well and sounds good through any amp.

Congrats on the new guitar.
You know the rules though- we need pics.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 pm

mikemjr12 wrote:Does anyone know what the value of the tone pot in the current SC-2 guitars (mine is a 2017)? I've been looking around and can't seem to find it. I want to tame the harshness without having to use an EQ pedal if possible and was thinking about swapping for a lower value pot. As it is, the treble on my amp is essentially off and the tone knob is rolled back until it is almost off and I'm still just getting too much of the ultra highs, even on the neck. I've lowered pickups and tried different strings and all that. I think it's inherent to the pickups and pots and think a lower value or some other mod could help, but maybe I'm wrong.

Definitely odd... there are things i don’t like about the SC-2 sound but i don’t have treble issues at all... :confused0007:

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Huh, maybe it's my amp, cabinet, or just my ears. I have tried it with a number of different amps and have always been left wishing the guitar were just a little more round/smooth on the top end.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:49 pm

mikemjr12 wrote:Does anyone know what the value of the tone pot in the current SC-2 guitars (mine is a 2017)? I've been looking around and can't seem to find it. I want to tame the harshness without having to use an EQ pedal if possible and was thinking about swapping for a lower value pot. As it is, the treble on my amp is essentially off and the tone knob is rolled back until it is almost off and I'm still just getting too much of the ultra highs, even on the neck. I've lowered pickups and tried different strings and all that. I think it's inherent to the pickups and pots and think a lower value or some other mod could help, but maybe I'm wrong.

Both the volume and tone pots are A250K. See in our Gallery: Album: SC-2 Picture Diagram.

You might also try adjusting the pickup heights.

Hope this helps.