Second G&L On The Way............

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:33 am

I've been so impressed with the Tribute ASAT Special I bought this spring I decided to replace my trusty old Jazz Bass with a Tribute L2500 I scored on Reverb. It's on it's way and scheduled to arrive next Thursday. I'll have more to report then but I'm quite pleased with the deal since a hardshell case was included.

Re: Second G&L On The Way............

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:56 am

Congratulations.
I've always liked that style of three color burst. Enjoy.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Enjoying the hell out this bass but wishing the fingers on my left hand were an inch longer. LOL

So much to like. So much versatility. Very tight and punchy but right now I'm thinking a little higher tension strings would be more to my liking. The B, E, and A seem a little floppy for me. Not at all unplayable just less tension than I'm used too.

Looks in person just as it does in the photos. Can't believe it was ever played much. Weight is 9lbs 10ozs but the balance is nice and the weight is just a few ounces more than my other two so it isn't an issue. G&L has very rapidly made a fan out of me.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:22 am

Just like Potato Chips, you can't just have one!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:23 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Just like Potato Chips, you can't just have one!

Ha ha, yeah that's probably why I have five Teles and still bought the ASAT Special. Had to have one with MFDs too. :mrgreen:

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:15 am

Still very much enjoying the L2500. Now that it's acclimated to Colorado I'm gonna install a little heavier gauge set of strings with a bit more tension and "fight" then adjust the setup again for those. After the settling in I'm beginning to get some clanking and fret buzz from the lighter gauge strings that are on it.

After researching some of the specs for setups I'm wondering if I'll be able to get the actions as low as I do on my Fender basses without some buzz. The Fenders both have Babicz FCH Bridges and those have really helped in that regard and tonally as well. And....these MFD pickups are major league ballsy so I still have to find my way around their sweet spots as well.

But that aside there's just so much more the L2500 has to offer than my Jazz Bass I'm not sure if it's worth keeping it. The PBass will always be a mainstay for me but the Jazz is getting pushed aside by the new guy on he block. It's just far more versatile, that "growl" is still there as well, and if looks could kill it'd be up on a murder charge. :D

All I can say is that I'm glad I finally gave in to trying G&L product after so many years as a Fender guy. The value they offer is huge.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 am

soulman969 wrote:Still very much enjoying the L2500. Now that it's acclimated to Colorado I'm gonna install a little heavier gauge set of strings with a bit more tension and "fight" then adjust the setup again for those. After the settling in I'm beginning to get some clanking and fret buzz from the lighter gauge strings that are on it.

After researching some of the specs for setups I'm wondering if I'll be able to get the actions as low as I do on my Fender basses without some buzz. The Fenders both have Babicz FCH Bridges and those have really helped in that regard and tonally as well. And....these MFD pickups are major league ballsy so I still have to find my way around their sweet spots as well.

But that aside there's just so much more the L2500 has to offer than my Jazz Bass I'm not sure if it's worth keeping it. The PBass will always be a mainstay for me but the Jazz is getting pushed aside by the new guy on he block. It's just far more versatile, that "growl" is still there as well, and if looks could kill it'd be up on a murder charge. :D

All I can say is that I'm glad I finally gave in to trying G&L product after so many years as a Fender guy. The value they offer is huge.

Welcome to the G&L family!

For setup information, check out this post in our G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Technical Questions & Tips: Current factory setup for G&L basses.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Craig wrote:
soulman969 wrote:Still very much enjoying the L2500. Now that it's acclimated to Colorado I'm gonna install a little heavier gauge set of strings with a bit more tension and "fight" then adjust the setup again for those. After the settling in I'm beginning to get some clanking and fret buzz from the lighter gauge strings that are on it.

Welcome to the G&L family!

For setup information, check out this post in our G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Technical Questions & Tips: Current factory setup for G&L basses.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thanks Craig. Much appreciated and yes that will help give me a base line to setups.