Boutique Amps With The Comanche

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Forgive me if this has already been covered in another topic section, but I can't find any info on this. I have a 2013 Comanche (blueburst) that I LOVE. I'm looking to switch amps, though. There's several boutique amps that have caught my eye/ear, but I'm not sure what they sound like with a Comanche and wanted to see if anyone in here had any experience with these. Sure, everybody has a Mesa Boogie, but I'm looking into either a Dr. Z or a Soldano. I love the high gain of the Soldanos, but covet the cleanliness of the Z amps (I know they're polar opposites). What's everybody's experience with this amps using a Comanche?

Re: Boutique Amps With The Comanche

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:29 pm

I own a Rivera Venus 3, the Z coils just sing through this beast. They are a match made in heaven.

Re: Boutique Amps With The Comanche

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:27 am

I don't have any direct experience with specific rigs you mentioned, but I have some similar experiences I figured I'd share.

I had a tribute Comanche with the will ray pickup. I put a set of 10-38 strings on it (thinking I was Hendrix) and played that through a Blackstar HT 20 and it sounded really good. The brightness of the Comanche paired with the darkness of the amp was a great pair. I played through an EHX bigmuff nano on the clean and heavy distortion on the OD channel. Really liked the sound. I imagine that the Soldano would be a good fit as well but I've never played one.

I currently play an SC-2 through a Mesa Boogie Mark V and it sounds great. Cleans and overdrive. But I can tweak the amp to better compliment the guitar.