NGD ASAT Detroit Muscle Series

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:00 pm

The FedEx truck arrived yesterday and delivered a bright ray of summer sunshine in the form of a Detroit Muscle Series: SS Collection ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 in Daytona Yellow! :alright: Has a 6-18-2014 build on the spec sheet but will take off neck soon to get all dates.

Multiple reasons for getting this one. Including: the Detroit Muscle Series is way cool, want to see the difference between this and the Classic Custom, I do not have anything with a P90, have always wanted a bright yellow guitar (favorite color), it is Georgia Tech color (wife is an alum), and you can never have too many ASAT’s.

Out of the box I love the color! This is not a guitar for the bashful players. If you like bright colors this will do it.

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Wwewgh]Image[/url]G&L Detroit Muscle Series SS Collection ASAT Bluesboy 90 - 1 by asatsam, on Flickr[/url]

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/XzR4qc]Image[/url]G&L Detroit Muscle Series SS Collection ASAT Bluesboy 90 - 2 by asatsam, on Flickr[/url]

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Wwevuh]Image[/url]G&L Detroit Muscle Series SS Collection ASAT Bluesboy 90 - 3 by asatsam, on Flickr[/url]

When first picked her up the weight was right on. About 8lbs, maybe less, and felt well balanced. The #1, 12" neck felt like it should. As a guy who was a #2, 7.5" neck guy forever, it wasn’t until I got the Will Ray sig that I appreciated this neck. Enough to grab onto and bend to your hearts content but not a baseball bat neck. I can live with the plain G&L head stock.

After plugging her in, this has its own tone and is one I like! The P90 is more rock oriented versus the Classic Custom for sure. You can run in neck only for some gritty rock, middle rounds it some but still rich sound. My test time was on a Mesa Boogie F-50, which has super clean as well as respectable crunch. Want to try other amps to see what other tubes etc. sound like.

Here are my Bluesboy varieties, and this one is toward the top pick. The green parts ASAT I built and this one are tied for some of the best sounding ASAT pickup combinations I have found. (yellow and blue make green, right?)

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/XHV28W]Image[/url]Bluesboys by asatsam, on Flickr[/url]

Off to play!!!!

Re: NGD ASAT Detroit Muscle Series

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Congratulations Sam! I love the bright colors. Enjoy and Rock On. :elguitar054: :sign0011:

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Great addition Sam! Glad you like the Detroit Muscle Series.

-JagInTheBag

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:16 am

Looks great Sam! That yellow/black combo is such a great/classic look - just love it. I had a 77' Les Paul Deluxe with a P90 in the bridge. I will always regret selling that guitar. :( - Haven't had anything else with a P90 since. Do the DMS come standard with the delete model option on the headstock? Cuz, that makes it looks sooo much cleaner, and hence slicker. Looks like a great find.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:33 am

You sir, have good taste.

Enjoy.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:42 am

Congratulations, Sam. It looks great.
I really like the Detroit series. The painted headstock and logo delete is a bonus in my book. I also like the looks of single ply guards- it gives the guitar a purposeful look. They seem like a great deal for a handbuilt USA guitar too.

As a fellow BB90 owner I agree with you about the pick-up combo ... they really pair well together.
I find them pleasing at low volumes and louder they really open up!

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:07 am

Thanks guys! :cheers:

This guitar delivered more than my expectations for sure.

Witsok, I'm a sucker for loud colors as well as loud guitars.
Jag - Been quietly wanting one since they came out, just found the time and deal to do it. Always dreamed of the muscle cars in my youth.
Dan - The P90 was the big draw for me and I see why now. I do think the DMS series come standard with the G&L "slicker" sticker. :evilgrin:
Dogs - I can only strive for great taste, but acknowledgment is always appreciated.
mutts - you my friend are correct, the matching headstock is huge bonus. Looking forward to louder volumes this weekend!

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 am

DanDoulogos wrote:Do the DMS come standard with the delete model option on the headstock? Cuz, that makes it looks sooo much cleaner, and hence slicker. Looks like a great find.

Yes, the DMS came standard with body match painted headstocks. I'm a big fan of body match headstocks. My two orders both had body match headstocks. The model delete is the atandard default for body match and black headstocks. I actually wantes the model logo on my ASAT Classic S (Margarita Metallic) with body match headstock, but I came with the black on silver model delete instead. I specifically listed it on my spec sheet I provided on the order. On some of rhe darker colors, I get it... It can be difficult to see the model name, but on the lighter colors it would show up just fine.

Cheers, Dan

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:48 am

Great score Sam. Do they still make these brand new? You know how much I love my yellow guitars!!

Tom

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:08 am

Tom,

Your yellow guitars always reminded me of why I wanted a yellow guitar. According to the information I found, this series concluded May 2015. There are a few out in the market now however. Happy hunting!

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:09 am

FZTNT wrote:Great score Sam. Do they still make these brand new? You know how much I love my yellow guitars!!

Tom

The SS Series Collection concluded in May 2015.
AFAIK, the RT Series Collection has not officially ended.
See: The G&L Detroit Muscle Series: Collection Specifications.

:ugeek:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Craig is right. And well, the GT series hasn't officially begun- but order one and see if they'll make it!