2 point fulcrum bridge - fully contact with body?

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:43 am

I have legacy special,
since i don't use the bridge vibrato at all,
i would like to stick my bridge onto the body of the guitar
so there will be more vibration goes to the body from the bridge.
(just like most fender strats)

so i tried to tighten the 2 screws(pivots) which holds the bridge.
but looks like the bridge is still floating on its back.
has anyone tried to put their bridge onto the body so the bridge doesn't float with space from the body? is it possible with these 2point g&l fulcrum bridge?

or should i also tighten up 2 screws behind the body which holds the spring?

Re: 2 point fulcrum bridge - fully contact with body?

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:40 am

The DF bridge is designed to "float" above the body. If you tighten it down it seems to me you'll get massive string buzz and have a next to impossible time setting the intonation. (G&LDPers, correct me if I'm mistaken about this.)

The solution is to do a setup with bridge in it's proper relation to the top and then block the trem. Here's a link to the trem blocking post in the FAQ:

Blocking the trem

Peace...

GDub

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:11 am

I've put 5 springs on a couple of my G&L's ( instead of tightening the tremelo claw) to create the needed force to pull the bridge to the body, this still allows me to use the whammy when I need to. No unexpected problems, it just takes a little more pressure to use the tremelo.
It does solve the problem of other strings going flat when bending and there is a solid bridge/body connection. I left the bridge posts about where they were before the added springs,
maybe a touch lower. This makes for a little more of an angle as the strings cross the saddle , which might add a little sustain .

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:23 pm

It think that Wayne R., aka Thumbs, has a couple of Leo Fender designed vibrato locks for sale at his tone-guard.com website. While it's not the correct vintage, I'm sure it would work. However, I believe you have to drill a single hole in the guitar, right below the DF vibrato. Good luck.