need opinions

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 pm

I think I know the answers I will receive here, but I need all opinions as I cannot make up my mind.

I have a 2013 USA American Standard Telecaster in crimson transparent, maple neck, and a Fender branded Bigsby my parents gave me for a birthday.
I also have a 2016 Ruby Red USA ASAT Special I bought in March.

I love them both, but I need to sell one to pay for bills.

Here's the deal...I like the neck thickness of the Fender, love the bigsby, but the G&L appears to be better quality than the Fender.

Which one should I sell? I need to make 900 at a minimum.

Re: need opinions

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Fender is easier to sell. G&L is harder and will probably fetch less. Seriously, you need to keep the one you love the most. Feel is important. But trust me, I bought and sell for over 6 years worth of high end gear, and one or two things I learned are :

1. whatever the guitar is, your fingers makes the sound, everything is good when you like it
2. regrets come often when selling, and you cannot find something back when it's sold (in rare occasion you do but... rare)
3. a guitar is worth what you make it worth, quality is a factor, but I can play the same on a MIM or a MIA guitar, as long as the "lutherie" is good (cannot make a carrot sound good yet, but CNC stuff nowadays and low end gear are still quite good) - the ability to stay in tune and the feel, the easiness to fret and the quality of the pickups (lutherie)... the better the guitar, the longer it will last and the less you're gonna regret spending cash on luthier to keep it maintained (and less you'll need to put to maintaint it on a higher end guitar)... spending 1000$ on a 500$ guitar can be hardcore... but if you like the thing... you know!
4. a good guitar is easier to play, but won't make you a better player... but it is still easier to play as it is easier to set-up and stay that way...
5. GAS is a hard thing to control, selling something is harder and often comes the regret (100% of the time, when you feel sad about letting it go before you let it go, it will make you sad after you sell it)
6. forum won't give you a clear answer on what you want to buy or sell... there will be some advice, yep, but taste is like gum, you can love a brand, a flavor, but someone can really dislike it and say differently... I should have followed my guts more often than what I read anywhere... but well, people might give you proper answers, it's just something hard to decide by other's standards

I wouldn't sell anything I love now, not even trade for better stuff... I regret too many guitars and won't regret those I love right now. 900$ is big but, over the long run, it's not quite worth the headache!

Still, personnaly, I would keep the G&L, but it's just me! Think twice, follow your guts mate, that's the best advice I can give you. But I can and was proven wrong in the past ;)

Sorry for the "on the fence" answer, I cannot take the decision for you. The fact you don't know which to sell makes the answer hard to give. Keep both, that's my real answer!
Last edited by Crusher on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Horax wrote:Here's the deal...I like the neck thickness of the Fender, love the bigsby, but the G&L appears to be better quality than the Fender.

You should keep the guitar you enjoy better. If you like playing the fender more, keep it.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Maybe this is irrelevant, but would your parents who gave you the Tele be really bummed out if you sold it, and if so would that make you feel bad for selling it?

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Keep the one your parents gave you. Not sure about your age, situation, etc., but at my stage in life anything that's a link to my parents is irreplaceable.

You can always find another 2016 ASAT, and probably break even on it.

Ken

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:46 am

I think you should keep them both and find another way to be fiscally responsible.

But I'm an old curmudgeon, so take that with a grain of salt.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:17 am

dalto wrote:
Horax wrote:Here's the deal...I like the neck thickness of the Fender, love the bigsby, but the G&L appears to be better quality than the Fender.

You should keep the guitar you enjoy better. If you like playing the fender more, keep it.

Good advice.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:29 am

That's a tough situation to be in... I would try to see if there was any alternative, but if not I'd personally keep the the one that my parents gave to me as a gift - even if I didn't like it as well as the one I purchased. I love ASAT Specials, but I love my parents more. Not sure this is much help, in the end you really need to decide what is right for you.

Again, hoping an alternate solution presents itself soon! Cheers, Dan

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:45 pm

Keep the one your parents gave you. If you sell it, you will be looking to recover it for the rest of your life. And yes, if you sell the ASAT, you will be able to find another down the road.