Legacy with Comanche pick guard and pups ...

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 am

The price of a new Comanche is prohibitive for me right now, and the used market in my area only sees one come up every few years. The few stores that do deal in G&L instruments don't keep any on hand, unless someone orders one and then fails to follow through.

So I am left with eBay and/or Reverb, but I don't really like buying guitars through the mail. I've found that two identical guitars on the wall, can feel and sound quite different in hand - and flattering myself that I am unless I get to be discerning in this way, it would be too great a risk to purchase online.

So one compromise I am playing with - and invite feedback on - is simply Comanche-fying my Legacy. I've a 3 bolt Legacy with the washtub routing - so as long as the pick guard screws into the same holes, and lines up everywhere else - I'm thinking I could buy a Comanche pick guard, a set of z3 pups, and all the bits and pieces for the standard Comanche circuit - and wire it all up, then pop it in, and presto - a makeshift facsimile to scratch my Comanche itch!

It'd probably be a temporary franken-project, but you never know.

Anyone every try something like this? I know Craig is going to be out for a while, so it may be some time before someone can get back to me about whether the pick guards are compatible (coverage and drill-out wise) - but I'd be curious to read the thoughts of others.

Re: Legacy with Comanche pick guard and pups ...

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Sounds like a great idea. You can actually get a 3-bolt era Comanche pick guard from Chandler- the screw holes should indeed lineup.

You can even solder in a connector for the 3/4 jack so you can pop back and for between them more easily. I'd go with the WR spec bridge pup. Comanche pups on sale in the G&L store right now.

Keep us posted! ~Patrick

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 am

Sounds like a good way to check out the Z-Coils. I picked up a different color pickguard for my 3-bolt Legacy from Chandler a couple years ago. It was an easy swap.

I second the Will Ray bridge pickup suggestion. It really helps to balance the three pickups.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:45 am

That's what I wanna hear!

I've picked up a tremolo cover from Chandler before, so that was already going to be my go-to. ;)

Likewise I want the WR spec pup, and noted that it was on sale (insert the laugh of childlike glee here).

I think I am better than 90 percent ready to pull the trigger on this thought. Thanks guys.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:11 pm

This isn't what you're asking, but have you considered a Tribute Comanche? I don't own one, but after owning several USA G&Ls, I picked up a Tribute Legacy and I'm very happy with how it compares, particularly given what it cost me. Just another idea is have you considered posting a wanted add? I'm not sure what city you're in, but not too long ago I was looking for a very specific guitar; I posted a wanted add on a local [Australian] trading website, and someone in town had exactly what I was looking for.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:19 pm

@Cbm : mate, that pickguard looks amazing on a clear orange! Could it be, by any chance, the copper pearl from Chandler / pickguard heaven?

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:06 am

dhgleaves - I've honestly considered a tribute Comanche, but hadn't thought of posting at wanted ad. That might be the way to go...

I had been pricing out the cost in shipping and import taxes/fees and began to realize it was probably going to cost me more than half the price of a Tribute Comanche to create my hack. That got me thinking about buying a Tribute if one came up locally - but I've nothing to lose, and everything to gain by posting an add looking to buy such a Tribute....

Thanks man, I'm going to do that first. If nothing comes of it - well, nothing lost.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Crusher wrote:@Cbm : mate, that pickguard looks amazing on a clear orange! Could it be, by any chance, the copper pearl from Chandler / pickguard heaven?

I believe it is, but that pickguard was on the guitar when I bought it. All I did was swap the knobs / switch cap.

And to clarify, I swapped the pickguard on my old Legacy Special for a different color Legacy pickguard. The Comanche in my avatar was always a Comanche, but the previous owner swapped pickguard colors.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:08 am

It really looks amazing. I wanted to change my clear orange pickguard and was in between tiramisu and the copper pearl. On the fence with that!

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:26 pm

You can probably find some nice knobs / switch cap to match from JAT on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:47 am

This morning I pulled the trigger on an eBay offering for an Indonesian Comanche Tribute.

Should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:34 am

Holy! That's a beauty mate!!! You won't regret it! I'm a bit jealous in fact, I really love them maple fretboard, especially when full gloss lacquered! Well, one day! That flame top is amazing! Congrats on your puchase mate!!

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:24 am

Nice looking guitar Dan. Congrats on the shot taken. What is the body wood? The flame/tiger maple top is cool but that straight grain on the body looks awesome. Doesn't look like ash but is it?

enjoy, waiting is hard isn't it...

Tom

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:29 am

FZTNT wrote:Nice looking guitar Dan. Congrats on the shot taken. What is the body wood? The flame/tiger maple top is cool but that straight grain on the body looks awesome. Doesn't look like ash but is it?

enjoy, waiting is hard isn't it...

Tom

I'm not sure, but from what I've seen, maple caps with a mahogany body were a common enough combo on some of these Indonesian models. The body certainly does look like mahogany to me (not that I care for the weight if it is - but I can live with it since it looks so sweet). So until I know better, I'mma say its mahogany (and the more I scrutinize it, the more convinced I am becoming on that account).

It looks (in some of the photos) to have a wood binding that has been overshadowed by the burst, but none of the photos I have of it really bring that to light. So that'll be interesting to see when it gets here.

I'm already looking at various HSCs I can pick up for it, and the perfect strap to go with it etc. Hopefully that will occupy me until it gets here.

- Dan

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Good score!

My Comanche is a little on the heavy side, so I went with a Mono Betty strap. It's wide and well padded.

I have all the styles of G&L cases now, 90s hard plastic case, modern Tolex case, and G&L gig bag. I use the gig bag the most. If I was buying a case, I think I would go for a gig bag, probably the Mono Vertago.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:15 pm

That's a beautiful guitar. I hope it meets your expectations.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Something to look forward to ! The back looks great .

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:09 am

I just ordered a new strap - 4" width - similar to SRV's black w/white music notes.

Just need a case now....

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Beautiful Dan. I've not seen a Tribute with a GOT neck before. You can also put a WR in the bridge if you want a little more punch. That is a looker! -- Darwin

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:48 am

darwinohm wrote:You can also put a WR in the bridge if you want a little more punch.

Totally agree. I don't understand why this isn't standard.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:23 am

cbm wrote:
darwinohm wrote:You can also put a WR in the bridge if you want a little more punch.

Totally agree. I don't understand why this isn't standard.

The Will Ray pickups are on sale now https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups/products/mfd-will-ray-z-coil-bridge-pickup, which now makes me tempted to get one.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:21 am

darwinohm wrote:Beautiful Dan. I've not seen a Tribute with a GOT neck before. You can also put a WR in the bridge if you want a little more punch. That is a looker! -- Darwin

I've not been around long enough to know what GOT stands for - I'm assuming its an acronym that represents in some way or another the vintage tint? Let me know if you know, as I am curious.

My ignorance aside, one of the reasons I pulled the trigger as fast as I did, was because of the vintage tint - I love it. That and the flame and sunburst, and thew sweet looking back.

Anyone have any guess on what year it is? Here is the serial number:

It's not in the registry yet - I'm thinking maybe 2008?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:50 am

may 2008, nice looking comanche!

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:58 am

DanDoulogos wrote:
darwinohm wrote:Beautiful Dan. I've not seen a Tribute with a GOT neck before. You can also put a WR in the bridge if you want a little more punch. That is a looker! -- Darwin

I've not been around long enough to know what GOT stands for - I'm assuming its an acronym that represents in some way or another the vintage tint? Let me know if you know, as I am curious.

My ignorance aside, one of the reasons I pulled the trigger as fast as I did, was because of the vintage tint - I love it. That and the flame and sunburst, and thew sweet looking back.

Anyone have any guess on what year it is? Here is the serial number:

It's not in the registry yet - I'm thinking maybe 2008?

May, 2008 according to http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:25 am

Thanks John, I found Craig's post after the fact. I reasoned May 2008, or August 2005 from the and was leaning in the May 2008 direction, but couldn't find that post that set the numbers in stone for me. Either way it's good to know.

It hasn't even shipped yet, and I'm already aching to get it in my paws!

I'm looking at maybe picking up a Crossrock ABS Molded Electric Guitar Case. Anyone try one of these?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:27 am

dhgleaves wrote:
May, 2008 according to http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19

Dude - I totally took half an hour to post my last post. When I started writing it, you hadn't posted this yet - it would have saved me some digging. Thanks man.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:01 am

DanDoulogos wrote:Thanks John, I found Craig's post after the fact. I reasoned May 2008, or August 2005 from the and was leaning in the May 2008 direction, but couldn't find that post that set the numbers in stone for me. Either way it's good to know.

It hasn't even shipped yet, and I'm already aching to get it in my paws!

I'm looking at maybe picking up a Crossrock ABS Molded Electric Guitar Case. Anyone try one of these?

That case seems quite expensive (i.e., costing more than G&L cases, although I assume G&Ls won't ship to Canada). I saw this https://www.amazon.ca/ChromaCast-CC-EHC-Electric-Guitar-Hard/dp/B00A270MZO one too, which has good reviews and is a lot less.

David

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:47 am

Dan, GOT is gun oil tint for the vintage look, my favorite by the way. I would caution that you try the guitar in the case before you buy. Fender size cases do not generally fit as the G&L guitars are about a 1/2 inch longer on the average. That neck appears to have aged very beautifully. -- Darwin

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:27 pm

darwinohm wrote:Dan, GOT is gun oil tint for the vintage look, my favorite by the way. I would caution that you try the guitar in the case before you buy. Fender size cases do not generally fit as the G&L guitars are about a 1/2 inch longer on the average. That neck appears to have aged very beautifully. -- Darwin

Regarding the length of the guitars (and Fender cases not fitting), that's interesting and I've never heard or realised that. I actually no longer own a Fender Strat but I have a Fender Tele and a Squier Standard Strat. I just compared my US Legacy and Tribute Legacy with both of them. The US Legacy and Squier Strat were the same length (or not noticeably different). The Tribute Legacy was about 1/2 inch longer than both. The Fender Tele was about 1/2 inch shorter than the Squier and US Legacy, and so about a full inch shorter than the Tribute Legacy. However, all four of those guitars fit in the hard cases that I have for them, none of which are G&L or Fender cases (two are Ashton, one is Rockcase and one is unknown). You're probably safer with the cases that are designed to fit a variety of guitars (such as the one that Dan or I listed) because they need to have enough extra room for those variations, plus they often list the sizes online. Yes, it's ideal to try the guitar first to make sure it fits, but that's hard to do when ordering online. I did pick mine up locally, one at a pawn shop and the rest on a local buy/sell page.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:42 am

I purchased a SKB case for my Tribute ASAT Jr. II. Fits well and one can find them pretty reasonably priced on Ebay.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:57 am

@David - that chromecast looks pretty reasonable. That might be the one.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:56 am

Anyone have the physical dimensions of a tribute Comanche on hand (L x W x H)?

Trying to google that sort of info is an exercise in futility. I know it's a little taller than a Strat, but I'm hearing anything from half an inch to 3/4 of an inch. It'd be nice to have just a plain measure (not including strap buttons). Also, I've not heard how it compares width wise to a strat - wider? The same?

Little things like that make it easier to order a case online.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 am

Aren't they the same size as USA legacy? Because if they are, I can measure it up for you. Sorry for the dumb question, I never checked on Tribute stuff. Just want to help here...
Last edited by Crusher on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:55 am

I wouldn't be surprised given that the main difference between the Comanche and the Legacy (for all I can see) is the Z coils. But you never know. Doesn't hurt to put it out there.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:29 pm

I'll check it up. If you want, I can also check if the legacy fits in a hard shell case for a Fender Stratocaster (the one with the exact same contour as the guitar).

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Well, after checking, the guitar won't fit a regular fender case. The guitar is too long, even though the body size is the same.

G&L Legacy USA : 39 1/2 inches with strap pin ... 39 1/8 without the strap pin
Fender Stratocaster : 39 1/8 with strap pin ... 38 1/2 without the strap pin

I tried to be as precise as possible but don't take it for granted. I measured from the strap pin to the tip of the headstock, but both headstock might not have the exact same shape and all. When trying to fit the Legacy in the Fender regular case, it is too long, will fit but won't close as the headstock is going in the padding and it will get stuck on the cover. Haven't tried pro or deluxe cases though, might be working... if I remember well, they were a bit oversized. Check SKB also, but it might be a bit on the costly side. But then again, don't take my words on it. To be honest, if you gig a lot, I would suggest you to buy "mono" gig bags. They are costly, but way easier to carry around, safe and all. You can put it on your back, take your amp in hands, and be done with it (except if you carry a pedalboard - for which you can always go back to carry it - and even then, there is the possibility to fit a small bag on the head of the gig bag, to carry some pedals). Useful. But I get it, you can be like me and keep them in hard case, so it's just a cue in case you never thought about that option.

Cheers mate! Sorry I cannot be of a bigger help. Only got USA here, but my guess is they are the same since those are CNC-ed...

https://monocreators.com/
https://www.long-mcquade.com/16492/Guitars/Cases_Gig_Bags/Fender_Musical_Instruments/Fender_Pro_Series_Strat_tele_Case.htm
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/099-6105-300

Only useful info I found over Fender pro interior case is : 39 1/2 inches... it's a wild guess to take, it might be too fit to work (could hurt your guitar more than protect), I would wait to have the guitar in hands if I were you...

Note : sorry if I posted link, I got no affiliation on these, just trying to help - admin can always chop that part, if it is against the law (I read the rules but maybe I haven't spotted carefully enough)

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:50 pm

That extra inch gets you every time. Same is true for ASATs which e.g. do not fit a "vintage" thermometer Tele case. But not all G&L fit any G&Lsanctioned case either. I thought my pre-BBE SC-3 would fit one of these Tribby foam cases. Wrong. Its as always: measure twice, buy once ;-)

- Jos

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 pm

My Tribute ASAT Jr. II is 39 1/4 long without the strap button and 39 3/4 long with a Dunlop Straplok button. I use an SKB 1SKB-66 case and it seems to fit fine. Of course your mileage may vary.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:43 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:Anyone have the physical dimensions of a tribute Comanche on hand (L x W x H)?

Trying to google that sort of info is an exercise in futility. I know it's a little taller than a Strat, but I'm hearing anything from half an inch to 3/4 of an inch. It'd be nice to have just a plain measure (not including strap buttons). Also, I've not heard how it compares width wise to a strat - wider? The same?

Little things like that make it easier to order a case online.

Dan, if you need the dimensions of a Tribute Comanche, you should probably post a new message with that as a subject header. The nature of this thread changed after you bought the Comanche, so many people who could answer the question may not see it in this thread. David

p.s., sorry that I can't answer it but I don't have a Tribute Comanche but, as noted above, my G&L guitars seems to be of slightly different sizes.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:This morning I pulled the trigger on an eBay offering for an Indonesian Comanche Tribute.

That looks like it should play real nice...good move Dan!

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:28 am

- Thanks Elwood!

@David - the more I think on it, the less important exact measurements are going to be. I'm not going to find a case that form fits this guitar, so that leaves me only the extended case size options (length of about 108-110 cm). Among these, I'm only interested in wood construction models - since I live in Canada, where molded form one can literally shatter in the cold, and I want one with the standard, button down flap to keep little bits and whatnot from flying around in the case. That greatly diminishes the number of cases that fit the bill. So at this point, I don't think I'll really benefit much from exacting measurements - even though Crusher has graciously provided me with the Legacy measurements (which are almost certainly going to be the same as the Comanche measurements).

- Thanks Crusher! I do like a tweed case (My Koa Tele Select has a great tweed case), I wish I could find one that fits the bill.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:33 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:…since I live in Canada, where molded form one can literally shatter in the cold…

Well now, there's something I never thought about before.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Yup, he's totally right about that... winters can be darn cold around here...

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:08 pm

I suppose if your leaving the case outside. If its getting that cold in the house you have issues. Then again you guys do live in the cold part.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Never that cold in house, but when you gig, sometimes, you don't have much space in the car and have to put in the trunk... which is not always that hot... but worst would be when you got a closed trailer and you do shows far from home. With 4 bandmates plus you, car is full, so you have no choice but to put in in the trailer and trust me, it can get really cold. But well, never broke any instrument but it can be an issue with time if you're not careful. Broken a case that way (well cold plus hitted the case), even though it was solid as hell, it crack when cold and bumped. Anyway, in the northern part of Quebec, it can get cold, really! I don't live there, but I've gone there often and it's chilling! Cheers-o!

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:06 am

Crusher wrote:Never that cold in house, but when you gig, sometimes, you don't have much space in the car and have to put in the trunk... which is not always that hot... but worst would be when you got a closed trailer and you do shows far from home. With 4 bandmates plus you, car is full, so you have no choice but to put in in the trailer and trust me, it can get really cold. But well, never broke any instrument but it can be an issue with time if you're not careful. Broken a case that way (well cold plus hitted the case), even though it was solid as hell, it crack when cold and bumped. Anyway, in the northern part of Quebec, it can get cold, really! I don't live there, but I've gone there often and it's chilling! Cheers-o!

Exactly. My eldest took one of my guitars to audition for the Jazz program at one of our local universities a couple of winters back. It was a 500 meter walk from the bus stop to the front door of the faculty building - but it was also -35 C. For those of you who don't live in a place that routinely gets to -35 C, you can hear your spit crackle and freeze before it hits the ground. When my son put down the case to open the door to the building, the part of the case that first touched the ground shattered.

Whenever I take such a case into the cold, I treat the case as thought it were made out of glass, because at that temperature, it becomes just as fragile. If I buy a guitar that comes with such a case - so be it - but if I am going to buy a case by itself, I prefer a wooden one just because I live in a place where that small choice makes a genuine difference.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 am

Heya, I know it's been a while and don't want to hi-jack or anything but... @cbm : could you send me a good picture of the guitar in your avatar? I wanna try copper pearl pickguard and I am really unsure if this is gonna fit my Legacy. There are no pics of any great copper pearl pickguard anywhere... Would really appreciate if it is possible. Could send you a pm too. Thanks! Have a great day!

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:39 am

Crusher wrote:Heya, I know it's been a while and don't want to hi-jack or anything but... @cbm : could you send me a good picture of the guitar in your avatar? I wanna try copper pearl pickguard and I am really unsure if this is gonna fit my Legacy. There are no pics of any great copper pearl pickguard anywhere... Would really appreciate if it is possible. Could send you a pm too. Thanks! Have a great day!

Will this do?

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:29 am

Thats some nice gear porn :happy0065:

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:20 am

Holy molly man! That guitar is GORGEOUS!!!! DAAAARNN SON! Really, thanks for the pic, you made my day, and it is clear as day now : I am happy I ordered that pickguard!!! A BIG thank you for that, really! I appreciate!