This one's different - ASAT Classic Bluesboy SH ...

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Recently posted on G&L Facebook page.
Note: These photos were taken with a cellphone camera under G&L Factory fluorescent lighting.

Here's an ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow in Jet Black over swamp ash, double wood binding, creme guard, rosewood board, Light Tint Satin neck finish.
CLF1703207 is headed to G&L Premier Dealer MusicStoreLive.com

IMO, the unpainted/natural finished F-hole with the double wood binding looks good together. I wonder if this a new option?
What do you think of this look?

:ugeek:

Re: This one's different - ASAT Classic Bluesboy SH ...

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Whoever gets this one has a true winner IMHO.

Seeing the wood both looks good and reminds us there is wood under the paint :evilgrin:

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:22 pm

I agree about the f-hole thing but this particular binding leaves me un-empressed. It does give it kind of that vintage or aged look. Normally, don't they stain the wood binding a bit? I don't think that would work here though. I think this guitar would look better with plain white binding.More classy IMO. Not a big fan of the cream PG on a jet black guitar though as well. Still, it's a G&L so it looks good regardless.

Tom

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:34 am

I'm kind of on the same page as Tom on the binding.

I don't care for mixing solid color tops with wood bindings, or wood tops with solid color bindings for that matter. It's a sort of feng shui faux pas - the union is unbalanced enough to give me an OCD itch I can't scratch. ;)

Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:37 am

FZTNT wrote:... Normally, don't they stain the wood binding a bit? I don't think that would work here though.

Tom

No, the standard option is called "Natural Wood Binding". G&L describes it as:
Wood Binding is an uncolored clear band of finish around the perimeter of the front of the body.
The effect is particularly stunning on instruments with maple tops.

Taped before color coat, do the color, remove tape, scrape natural area to dial it in, spray clear coat. It just takes time to do it well.

The color variation is due to the wood type of the exposed area.
See this post: Examples of Natural Wood Binding ....

AFAIK, only the ASAT Trinity Special Edition has a gun-oil tinted wood binding.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:57 am

Craig wrote:
FZTNT wrote:... Normally, don't they stain the wood binding a bit? I don't think that would work here though.

Tom

Wood Binding is an uncolored clear band of finish around the perimeter of the front of the body.

Taped before color coat, do the color, remove tape, scrape natural area to dial it in, spray clear coat. It just takes time to do it well.

Maybe I;m just thinking of this one particular guitar, which I own and the only one I have with natural binding.

This looks like they shot the lighter of the two colors in the burst, taped it and then finished up with the red and some clear coat. It looks great on this guitar but it's a very special guitar and just the right proportion of accent.

Tom

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 am

I like tha BB. The paint and binding do it for me.

edg

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:11 pm

FZTNT wrote:
Craig wrote:

Tom

Maybe I;m just thinking of this one particular guitar, which I own and the only one I have with natural binding.

This looks like they shot the lighter of the two colors in the burst, taped it and then finished up with the red and some clear coat. It looks great on this guitar but it's a very special guitar and just the right proportion of accent.

Tom

I had forgotten about your gorgeous 2007 Legacy and yes, it does have a gun-oil tinted wood binding, too.
Here is your post about it and all the decodings of the body and neck pocket markings in the followup posts:
I NEVER REALLY CARED FOR THE LEGACY.... :thumbup: