Calling GLDP LE-2 owners

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:54 pm

I missed out on the LE-2 (OK I chose not to buy because it didn't have an ASAT body), so you lucky GLDP LE-2 owners have had them for a few years, bring us up to date on your experience.

Has it lived up to your expectations?
What is your favorite thing about the LE-2?
Do you still own it?
Does it still get played?
Where does it rank in your go to guitar?
Will you ever sell it?

Maybe I have some "non-buyers" regret. :shh:

Re: Calling GLDP LE-2 owners

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:39 am

#4 of 25, Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock. As you may recall, at the time I was looking at ordering a Fallout - I stopped in to Music Source and was talking to Bob and he asked me if I ever considered the LE-2. I wasn't a member of this board at the time, just a lurker... So went home a joined so I could read the LE-2 information... I was like wow, an MFD version of a Fallout! At the time my only real experience with G&L was my Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe and from that fell in love with the MFD pickups. So I'm not exactly sure what my expectations were - was still a fairly new player...

There are some many things to love about the LE-2. From an ergonomic perspective it is just so well balanced. It is light, IIRC around 7.25 lbs. I love the neck profile, it has the #1 Classic C. Out of all my G&L's I'd put the LE-2 as having the best neck. My ASAT Classic S also has the #1 Classic C neck, but it feels a bit thicker especially at the lower frets... Maybe something to do with the transition from the different headstock shape to the actually neck. Ascetically, the SC-2/Fallout/LE-2 is my personal favorite body style followed by the ASAT. I love how the guitar looks. The Lake Placid Blue really pops against the roasted maple. To me the biggest surprise was the roasted maple neck. I didn't know what to expect, but I really like it. It is incredibly smooth and hard. It feels like it is indestructible. I'd love to see this become a regular offering - it is something I'd definitely strongly consider on any future order. I'm not sure it really affect the tome much... I'm in the wood matters little to tone in solid body electrics guitars.

As for the tones, both pickups really respond to the players touch. Something I'm still working on... When some of the better players I've known played my LE-2 they can go from smooth clean to nice overdrive just by how they attack the strings. They are so responsive. The humbucker I find very jangley with clean amp settings. It also does well in overdrive modes. In the middle position, I like to split the humbucker - it seems to bring out more sparkle. It has that classic middle scoop you'd expect in the middle position. The neck pickup is like choirs of angels singing. It just oozes / drips soul as if the guitar was breathing! My Tribby is the same way - that large MFD neck pickup is just the sweetest pickup I ever heard or played. Love it! If anything the LE-2 might be a bit darker in the neck position and that could be the slight differences woods make.

I do my best to keep all my guitars in rotation. I've been scheduled on bass more frequently (my only public playing consists of my church's praise band) so it takes longer to rotate through my guitars than in the past. I did play the LE-2 a couple weeks ago and had a blast - a lot of lead work that was fun to work out for the set. Since I rotate, it is hard to say what is #1. It has to be close to the top. Maybe 1b? I think I'd give slight edge to the Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe. I think the large MFD bridge pickup maybe pairs a little nicer. This why I really want a SC-2 - I can get the best of both! Ascetically, it is clearly #1 followed by my Margarita Metallic ASAT Classic S. The only thing I would change is the pickguard. I got mirror guard which is okay but I'd prefer a matte finish like a white anodized aluminum, brush aluminum or brushed nickle type finish. Actually with the protective film on the guard it looked better as it appeared matte.

Overall, the LE-2 is a comfortable cool guitar. I really fits well with punk / post-punk / grunge / indie genres that make up a good portion of what I enjoy. I have no regrets purchasing it and have no plans to sell it. Told my kids I don't want them selling it either!

Cheers,
Dan

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Dan,

Just saying "jangley" gets me dreaming and when you add the roasted neck benefits, and split humbucker sparkle let's me know how lucky you are. Glad to hear it definately lives up to expectations. Will have to keep my eyes on the lookout. :searching:

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:35 am

My favorite G&L !! .. I do play it and gigged it once , X2 on the best neck , not sure if it's the neck wood , the process or what ? but the Big MFD sounds different (better to me) than my SC2 or Broadcaster neck pup , I think the bridge and neck balance good , It just feels like high quality in your hands , love the roasted maple , light , comfortable and well balanced instrument , this should be a model and I hope G&L doesn't give up on the roasted neck

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:05 am

Great thread! Any demos would be cool!

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:41 am

mikemjr12 wrote:Great thread! Any demos would be cool!

See: Full Tone Report on the GbL LE-2 by Nick Jaffe

:ugeek:

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:42 pm

sam wrote:I missed out on the LE-2 (OK I chose not to buy because it didn't have an ASAT body), so you lucky GLDP LE-2 owners have had them for a few years, bring us up to date on your experience.

Has it lived up to your expectations?
What is your favorite thing about the LE-2?
Do you still own it?
Does it still get played?
Where does it rank in your go to guitar?
Will you ever sell it?

Maybe I have some "non-buyers" regret. :shh:

Has it lived up to your expectations? YES. I have since commissioned other models that have the F-100 bridge pup. But, this Le-2 seems to be the strongest pickup and control combination.

What is your favorite thing about the LE-2? The body is REALLY, REALLY, comfortable.

Do you still own it? YES

Does it still get played? It is my #1. Not that I play often, but when I do, I use the LE-2 first.

Where does it rank in your go to guitar? SEE ABOVE

Will you ever sell it? Um, not on your life!

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:03 pm

I have #3 of 25. Added the locking tuners and upgraded to the DFV

The neck is so awesome, just like was mentioned above. Its great, I had a 2009 legacy with a satin neck and it was great too. My two favourite of the one's I've played.

The guitar is well balanced and easy to play, feels great and lots of growl from that hb. Nice jazzy tone from the neck.

I had a full setup done this year and they resouldered all the wiring. Its perfect.

It was the guitar I picked up to play, when I looked at the wall. Was the goto. I have found a better #1, so the LE-2 is #2. Therefore, I put it in the marketplace. Not sure I want to sell it, but if it did, it'd be ok. If not, thats fine too. I didn't get a response from the marketplace, so its happily hanging on the wall.

Hmm, think I'll pick it up this aft.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:40 pm

If only G&L would manufacture another run of these!
A

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:01 pm

art wrote:If only G&L would manufacture another run of these!
A

+1

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:35 pm

It might be time to re-visit this discussion topic: Discussion Topic: G&L's Custom Creations department .... ;)

What do you think? :?:

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Howdy Alf, if only I was a lefty. But could turn her upside down. ;)

But then again Craig brings up a very interesting and conspicuous comment. Especially with the other thread with a similar topic. This sounds exciting to me! :clap:

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:50 pm

sam wrote:Howdy Alf, if only I was a lefty. But could turn her upside down. ;)

But then again Craig brings up a very interesting and conspicuous comment. Especially with the other thread with a similar topic. This sounds exciting to me! :clap:

Oops, I didn't mean to get your hopes up on some upcoming news. :oops:
I just thought of the future G&L Custom Shop as being an alternative to getting another run of the GbL LE-2 built.

I did email Dave inquiring about the plans for the Custom Shop and another run of the LE-2; here is his reply:
Hi Craig,

There is progress, though very slow, on the CS.

Revisiting the LE-2 as a CS piece may jack the price up too much. Maybe the repurposing idea isn't the greatest, though it may be confusing to have CC and CS coexist.

What do you think?

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

I then asked him this:
How about adding a new Fallout model (or option) with the LE-2 pickup combination?

He replied:
Hi Craig,

I don’t think that pickup combo is something we would get traction with in the dealers. If there’s another Fallout pu combo, they’d like 2x P90 most.

I think the LE-2 thing would be better served as a special run. Probably a different dealer though. I don’t recall hearing anything of that dealer in ages,
and it wasn’t all that smooth anyway. Patrick did a bunch of the field work if I remember correctly.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Hey Craig,

Thanks for following up with Darth and the update. Was not so much getting hopes up, more like, if I say it enough it will come true. ya know, I've heard people do that occasionally :shifty: We will all keep looking for any new guitar news that comes down the pipe :searching:

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Yeah, I have to agree that the dealer we worked with, both on the LE-2 and Detroit Muscle Series did not capitalize on a tremendous opportunity. I ended up doing most of the legwork to get things accomplished there.

As far as an additional special run of the LE-2 pickup combo, I am a game. These could be a second series for the model with some significant differences, without the roasted maple neck for instance. I imagine the factory would welcome any opportunity to optimize the use of all the CAD programming they did would be welcome. I'd look to G&L to choose the sponsoring dealership- one they would feel most comfortable working with. We would need to know what the minimum order would be to make it a second series worthwhile.

If it turns out only a couple people want an LE-2 pickup configuration, then, perhaps a Custom Shop one-off order would be the way to go for them. It would cost more and they couldn't call it an LE-2, but they'd have the axe with that pup combo.

What say you, other LE-2 owners?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:52 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Yeah, I have to agree that the dealer we worked with, both on the LE-2 and Detroit Muscle Series did not capitalize on a tremendous opportunity. I ended up doing most of the legwork to get things accomplished there.

As far as an additional special run of the LE-2 pickup combo, I am a game. These could be a second series for the model with some significant differences, without the roasted maple neck for instance. I imagine the factory would welcome any opportunity to optimize the use of all the CAD programming they did would be welcome. I'd look to G&L to choose the sponsoring dealership- one they would feel most comfortable working with. We would need to know what the minimum order would be to make it a second series worthwhile.

If it turns out only a couple people want an LE-2 pickup configuration, then, perhaps a Custom Shop one-off order would be the way to go for them. It would cost more and they couldn't call it an LE-2, but they'd have the axe with that pup combo.

What say you, other LE-2 owners?

My comment would be: what makes an instrument, like the LE-2, a "Limited Edition" versus a "Special Build"? If something has been advertised as "Limited Edition", it would actually be nice if some uniqueness is retained over time and it is not watered down by what follows. It's what I have come to dislike coming out of PRS. Too many Limited Edition series that are too indistinguishable. Is it just the pickup combination? Just the finish? Just the roasted maple neck? Just the number built? (And for the LE-2, what number to use here now not all have a roasted maple neck?) A combination of the above? All of the above? The answer to these questions will decide the long term uniqueness of the model. And how elements of an LE can be reused in subsequent instruments.

Just an observation,

- Jos

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:04 pm

You make an excellent point Jos. As the owner of LE-2 #1, this concerns me as well. On the other hand, I would also like to see this undervalued pickup combo get more positive exposure...what is the right way to go about it?

-Jag

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:27 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:You make an excellent point Jos. As the owner of LE-2 #1, this concerns me as well. On the other hand, I would also like to see this undervalued pickup combo get more positive exposure...what is the right way to go about it?

-Jag

Patrick,

In your OP, you were particularly alluding to reusing the pickup combination. And yes, if no other elements of the LE-2 design are mixed in, I for one would have no qualms with doing that. It is a great combo after all. And it would map to e.g. Junior II Limited Editions of different forms which has seen its pickups appear even on a Tribby. Although, one might also argue that the Tribute Junior II is cutting it close because it would only be the wood choices as a unique feature compared to the Korina and/or Savannah Collection Junior II. But then again, the wood is what these LE series are named after, isn't it? ;-)

- Jos

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 am

Question for Patrick:

Were all 25 of the GbL LE-2's built and sold?
We only have seven registered in the G&L Registry: GbL_LE2.

(Reference post in Archive: GbL Limited Edition II Discussion)

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:35 am

It is a shame that not all 25 got built with roasted maple necks. If they were then at least the pickup configuration combined with roasted maple neck could be basic distinction. But since this is not the case, in.my opinion the pickup combination would need to be appled to a different body style, otherwise I feel it dilutes the uniqueness of the LE-2. I also feel the LE -2 name should not be reused, or if it is it needs a secondary designation like second run, second edition.... I guess any new run ahoild have some signficant difference to maintain only 25 made as indicated on the back of the headstock.

Maybe bring back the 80's control plate and front output jack. I'd be jealous at that point... Or maybe bring back the second style sc body on a second run?

That said, the current SC-2/Fallout/LE-2 is my favorite body style. Love to see several pickup conbinations offered on ths platform - especially MFD variants.

Dan

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:18 pm

How many were actually made without the roasted neck? I remember that being discussed, but didn't think it actually occurred.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:29 pm

I wish I had been around when this happened.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Craig wrote:Question for Patrick:

Were all 25 of the GbL LE-2's built and sold?
We only have seven registered in the G&L Registry: GbL_LE2.

(Reference post in Archive: GbL Limited Edition II Discussion)

I don't think all the numbers were used. Many were sold out of sequence.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi, sorry to pop in and bump a months old thread but I kinda wanted to share my thoughts. I remember trying to buy an LE-2. I'd called the dealer, and after he explained the roasted maple situation he kind of stopped paying attention to my questions and how I can get started on ordering. He said he'd have someone call me back and start the process. So I waited and didn't hear anything, called back a few times and kind of gave up. I was disappointed there was no roasted neck but I was kind of willing to do it anyway (given the limited nature was already done), but it wasn't easy to get one so I stopped (and other things came up). Anyway, A Fallout in Autumnburst or with the pickup config is something I'd be interested in. I still drift in thought wondering what it would be like to own an LE-2, so either would sate my desire. Thanks for reading if you did, sorry to bring it up tho

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:43 pm

oansun wrote:Hi, sorry to pop in and bump a months old thread but I kinda wanted to share my thoughts. I remember trying to buy an LE-2. I'd called the dealer, and after he explained the roasted maple situation he kind of stopped paying attention to my questions and how I can get started on ordering. He said he'd have someone call me back and start the process. So I waited and didn't hear anything, called back a few times and kind of gave up. I was disappointed there was no roasted neck but I was kind of willing to do it anyway (given the limited nature was already done), but it wasn't easy to get one so I stopped (and other things came up). Anyway, A Fallout in Autumnburst or with the pickup config is something I'd be interested in. I still drift in thought wondering what it would be like to own an LE-2, so either would sate my desire. Thanks for reading if you did, sorry to bring it up tho

Yeah, I brought that dealer in- they were the first place I ever played a G&L as a kid so I thought they'd appreciate the shot. Between under performing on the LE-2 delivery and the Color My World display guitars, I have backed away from them and I don't think they carry much G&L selection anymore. What a wasted business opportunity for them!

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:50 am

Agreed!

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 am

I have two G&L dealers that I can honestly say are walking distance from my home. One of them is Music Source. In general, my experience with most music stores is communication is not their strong suit. And Music Source falls in that category. That said, I've purchased most of my instruments from them. In general they are nice and friendly people, I just wish they were better with communication. They were usually willing to give discounts on items in stock. Besides my LE-2, I've also ordered a custom ASAT Classic S through them. In both cases I did have to put 100% down which I don't think is customary.

The other G&L dealer, who is actually closer to me than Music Source, I had such a bad experience with that I will never go back. I'm not going to go into the story or give out their name. I will say, one of the problem in the situation was their extremely poor communication, never (not an exaggeration) would this store return a phone call and they were never short of excuses. At the same time other musician friends of mine have had great experiences there.

So while I get frustrated with calls not always being returned, at least Music Source would call back sometimes.

To be honest, Guitar Center has actually been the best with communication. It still surprises me, I always though a mom and pop shop would have better customer service than some national big box chain. I guess they all have there ups and downs... Or am I just unlucky? Do most of you have great customer service and communication with your local dealers?

Cheers, Dan