potential new owner!!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:53 am

Hi folks, I'm new to the site, so hello from Scotland. I am interesred in obtaining a G&L guitar, but need some info, please! I have been offered an "early ASAt model, butterscotch blonde , maple neck with black logo" as a swap for my 1992 Rickenbacker 360 BT (valued at £1200) I wanted a telecaster but on investigation am really interesed in th G&L's. There are no dealers up here ,s o I can't go try them. Any advice on value of this guitar... ballpark , I know thats a hard question not having seen the guitar. I'm told it is over 20 yeas old, last 15 spent in its case!! Any prompts on what to look for etc before a deal is struck??? All info gladly accepted... look forward to becoming one of the owners group..
cheers
john

Re: potential new owner!!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 am

Tough call without seeing pictures of the guitars or having more information. However, even if the ASAT is in mint condition, and from the 1st run year of 1986, you'd still be getting the short end in a straight across trade. Your Rickenbacker is probably worth around $1,100 American dollars. The ASAT, if it's a 1991 or earlier, built when Leo Fender ran the company, in excellent condition, is probably valued by the market at $850-950 or so, tops. If it were in mint condition, MAYBE a straight across trade. However, if it was built after 1991 (Leo era), or is not in mint condition, you probably should get some cash on top of the trade. The odds are that in a straight across trade, the other trader would get the better, market value, end of the deal. JMHO.
I had a Rickenbacker 360 a few years back. I liked it, but the string spacing on that narrow neck was tough for even me to play, and I like narrow necks. My fingers seemed to "trip" all over each other when doing open chords, which is all I did at the time. Good luck.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:15 am

Thanks for this... I kinda thought this was the way of it. Probably best to sell the Ric and then buy a G&L! Really need to haer one in the flesh against the Telecaster "sound"
cheers
john

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:38 pm

That G&L is going to be a sweet, sweet guitar. You have the right idea - try and sell your Ricky to get the G&L, I'm sure you wont be disappointed. They're as well made as Custom Shop teles - I AB'd them the other day!

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:34 am

ok... so I went for it!!!! it's a really nice guitar!.. how do I post pics and how do I determine the model??
john

Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:05 am

yes .. the serial number is G020734, butterscotch blonde(possibly, certainly blonde!!!) with black scratchplate, 2 pups, RW neck
any advice on adding pics to my message??? I cant find an attach function!!
cheers
john

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:07 am

To show pictures in a post you'll have to do 2 things:
  1. Put your pictures on a hosting site, e.g. photobucket, MobileMe picture gallery, etc.
  2. Use the [img] BBtags to embed a link to the picture on the hosting site.
You can find more info in the FAQ. Hope this helps.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:46 pm

ok lets try this...
http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af327/oneeyedog/

Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:58 pm

That works too. But these would be the pictures embedded in your post. To see what it looks like, hit the quote button and you'll see what the BBtag looks like.

Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:59 am

cheers for that!
now maybe they will believe me!!
john

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:01 am

maybe...

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:00 pm

I don't know what you paid but that is a nice score.

I'm a moron, but by the looks of the string retainer, it looks like an '86 to me. My favorite year, but I am prejudiced. ;+) Image

Do you know if the body wood is maple or something else?

Welcome! - ed

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:19 am

I didn't buy it, I swapped a Rickenbacker for it, had the Ric for a few years, never got to grips with it. Really like this G&L.... I think I'm converted!....
john