Mid 90's Asat Classic pickups

Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Hello Everyone,

My Asat classic sounds a little different than the Asat Classics in our local guitar shop. My guitar is from 1995 with original MFD Asat Classic pickups. I remember reading a while back that the pickups in the mid 90's were being wound tighter at the time, but I can't seem to find this info online anymore.

After recently playing a couple of new Asat Classics, it seems like that information might be true. Does anyone know if the pickups were ever wound tighter, and maybe when this started and ended? And why it was done?

Thanks for your time!

Re: Mid 90's Asat Classic pickups

Sun May 14, 2017 8:16 am

Bucketheadriff84 wrote:Hello Everyone,

My Asat classic sounds a little different than the Asat Classics in our local guitar shop. My guitar is from 1995 with original MFD Asat Classic pickups. I remember reading a while back that the pickups in the mid 90's were being wound tighter at the time, but I can't seem to find this info online anymore.

After recently playing a couple of new Asat Classics, it seems like that information might be true. Does anyone know if the pickups were ever wound tighter, and maybe when this started and ended? And why it was done?

Thanks for your time!

Yes, they did change the number of turns in the windings; adding more windings to the bobbin. They also changed from handwinding to machine winders.
See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Re: Mid 90's Asat Classic pickups

Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Thank you so much!