View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 like a PLEK machine 

Post like a PLEK machine
I would happily buy a second indonesian G&L Tribute, if they were PLEK'd... (Including the nut !)

I was believing they were after reading the US made G&L description :-/

According to http://www.plek.com/en_US/referenzen/produktion/, today Martin owns 6 PLEK pro machines, and G&L only one :-(

I f**** love the playability and the perfect setup of my PLEKed mexican Martin, and I wish I can PLEK my indonesian G&L Tribute S500 as soon as possible (I would gladly have payed an extra 150 bucks for it at purchase time...) but I'm stuck in Thailand without the guitar and the Carvin of my life for I don't know how long ... (can't have it all at the same time :-) )

Here's the world map of PLEK machines used for service or production you are in a similar case (in need for the best possible setup): http://www.plek.com/uploads/plek_worldm ... hp?lang=en

Note that PLEK machines does require a skilled operator (preferably a luthier with good practice in neck, frets, bridge and nut setup).

Tue May 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Post Re: like a PLEK machine
Why not just take the Tribute to guitar tech for a setup? It'll probably cost waaay less than $150 (especially in Thailand!), to have it setup/dressed professionally and will be probably be better than a Plek setup. The only reason you'd use a Plek is to save on setup costs when you're churning out a heap of guitars every day, you'll get equal or better result with a pro guitar tech setup who might do a couple per day.

Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Post Re: like a PLEK machine
Last year I paid a luthier in Bangkok for carving a bone nut and doing a neck setup and a fret job, but the action was still to high at the nut.

As I was not happy with it, he looked at it better and noticed the relative position of the nut with respect to the first fret was not matching his tables (thanks Cort)

Then when I asked to lower the action at the nut, he did not understand well and he tried to compensate instead... So now it is nut so much better and I have to try with another luthier.

Well I am not in a hurry neither since I found last week a G&L S-500 USA custom build 2014 (new but with traces of in-shop(?) wear) and the neck setup is just incredible :banana:

I would have preferred mahogany and rosewood but once plugged, swamp ash and maple rocks too :luv:

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]