Unusual ASAT Special Deluxe questions

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Hello forum members, been quite awhile since I've been on here. Came across an unusual (maybe) ASAT special deluxe from 1997. Its two F-100 pickups, like the 25th anniversary model. Maple top, mahogany body, saddle lock bridge, honeyburst finish. My perception is the 25th anniversary wasn't especially popular, not sure if it was due to the pickups in a T-style body or cosmetic reasons. AS near as I can tell, a guitar with these attributes was never in production, at least not in any volume.

I have listened to some vids on YT to get an idea of the sound of the pickups (from F-100 clips) but I would like to get some opinions of the pickups from G&L experts. I have and like the sounds from my Comanche, ASAT III, and ASAT special, so I'm obviously a fan of MFD pickups. I'm also curious if the F-100's sound similar to a large MFD when split.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks

Re: Unusual ASAT Special Deluxe questions

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:54 am

Smoochimoto wrote:Hello forum members, been quite awhile since I've been on here. Came across an unusual (maybe) ASAT special deluxe from 1997. Its two F-100 pickups, like the 25th anniversary model. Maple top, mahogany body, saddle lock bridge, honeyburst finish. My perception is the 25th anniversary wasn't especially popular, not sure if it was due to the pickups in a T-style body or cosmetic reasons. AS near as I can tell, a guitar with these attributes was never in production, at least not in any volume.

Given that the ASAT Special Deluxe did not go into production until 2001, I think you probably saw an ASAT Deluxe modded with original F-100 MFD humbuckers.
Do you have photos and/or serial number of this guitar?

Here's a photo of the ASAT Special Deluxe:

Here's a photo of the ASAT Deluxe:

The 25th Anniversary was a Custom Creations Limited Edition and only 250 were made, all in 2006.

Here are some reference posts in our G&L Knowledgebase:
Production List of G&L Instruments (USA)
List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA)
List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:01 am

The serial number is CL05419. I would have thought is was simply an ASAT special as well, (with F100 pickups) but the maple top is flamed, and the top is has a radius, like a carved top. That is what made me think "deluxe. Will see about posting a photo.

Thanks. How do folks like the sound of the F-100, either in humbucking or split mode?

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:31 am

Actually, Craig upon further review the guitar in question looks just like the top one in your reply. Same top, same burst, maple board. Looks like yours is the correct explanation, given the dates. Anyone ever play one of these with F-100's?

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:37 pm

The original (vintage) F-100 pickups are wound differently than the current production F-100 pickups. The current ones have a patent number in the plastic on one of the ends. The vintage ones are generally slot pole adjustments, although the later vintage ones are hex pole adjustments. I've got a couple vintage F-100's from 1983 that are hex. My 1980 F-100 is slot and my contemporary F-100 is hex.

It would be hard to guess what the vintage pickups would sound like in the guitar you describe without the vintage wiring. If it has the contemporary pickups, it would likely sound similar to the current F-100 model. See if you can post some picture or let us know what markings/poles are on the pickups.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:17 am

I have had some difficulty creating an album in order to post the photos. The polepieces are definitely slotted. On top of that, my hard drive crashed yesterday so I'm using a 10 year old one lung laptop.

If anyone wants to take a look its for sale at GC Jacksonville, listed on their site under used. I had a salesperson email me some better pics, which is how I know the poles are slotted, but you'll get a general idea from their site.

If I had to guess I'd say the wiring was standard 3 way switch with a coil split switch, no phase or parallel.

Thanks

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:20 am

Correction: The GC location is Orange Park, evidently near Jacksonville, FL

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:32 am

Hard to say what the guitar would sound like. They do appear to be F-100 pickups. The slotted ones would be vintage 1980-1986. I don't know how they would sound outside of the vintage F-100 electronics. All of my F-100's are stock. The vintage pickups have variability to them. Maybe you can talk them down in price since the guitar is not original?

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 am

Was planning on doing that, just wanted to get as much info as possible. It is possible the price will drop ultimately even if they dig their heels in initially. If a used item hasn't sold after 3 mos, most GC's will drop the price to move it. I've seen that happen at the Cincinnati and Dayton guitar center a number of times. Kind of a roll of the dice. G&L's seem to be hugely popular in some parts of the country, not so much in others. In Indianapolis and Greenwood Indiana for example, used ones will move in days, in Cincinnati and Dayton, months.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:47 am

Smoochimoto wrote:Correction: The GC location is Orange Park, evidently near Jacksonville, FL

Ah, I recognize that guitar!
My buddy and co-webmaster, Dean Coy, put it together with the vintage F-100 MFDs. The body is an ASAT Deluxe body from the factory.

Here's a photo from Dean:

I have emailed him and asked him for details on it. I probably played it, but don't remember what it sounded like.

Stay tuned.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:53 am

Wow, I'n duly impressed, not to mention grateful!

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:50 am

Smoochimoto wrote:Wow, I'n duly impressed, not to mention grateful!

Now that I had another cup of java, I remembered that I had posted about this guitar here on the G&LDP.

So, doing a quick search, I found the post: Dean Coy's F-100 Deluxe.

There is some significance in this guitar, as it became the Proof of Concept for the return of the MFD Humbuckers and were put into the 25th Anniversary Custom Creations Limited Edition and
the F-100 Return Edition Custom Creations Limited Edition.

Hope this helps.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:28 am

Wow, talk about a comprehensive explanation. Can't thank Craig (and Dean) enough for the information. I may well go ahead and buy this, if another forum member doesn't beat me to it. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again!

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Given that the ASAT Special Deluxe did not go into production until 2001

Hi Craig,

I have an ASAT Special Deluxe (it's in the registry) that has a 3-bolt neck, which I always thought indicated a pre-1998(?) guitar. How does that square with your statement that the Special Deluxe was introduced in 2001?

Mike

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Will the MFD humbuckers fit in a standard humbucker rout? Couldn't find any info on Google, this site's pickup page, or the G&L site...

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:40 am

themikeaustin wrote:Will the MFD humbuckers fit in a standard humbucker rout? Couldn't find any info on Google, this site's pickup page, or the G&L site...

See this post: MFD Humbuckers as replacements on Tribute ASAT Deluxe?

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:44 am

themikeaustin wrote:
Given that the ASAT Special Deluxe did not go into production until 2001

Hi Craig,

I have an ASAT Special Deluxe (it's in the registry) that has a 3-bolt neck, which I always thought indicated a pre-1998(?) guitar. How does that square with your statement that the Special Deluxe was introduced in 2001?

Mike

You probably have an ASAT Custom model. See: List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars.

Please post some photos (front and back), so we can confirm this.

Hope this helps.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Ok, after exchanging several emails with a very helpful associate at GC (Katie D. - who I can't say enough good things about) we agreed at a discounted price all could live with. Being a cheapskate, I specified standard shipping, and because I work rotating and goofy shifts, had it sent to my local GC instead of my home. When I get this item, I will post ant relevant comments and pics, having had the album problem cleared up.

Again thanks to Craig and all of those who posted. I am very grateful.

Also thanks to Den Coy for coming up with the original idea.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 am

Good deal. It's a cool guitar with some interesting history. I wonder how it ended up at a GC to begin with. Also, good deal if you were able to talk them down a little. I have rarely been able to talk them down on anything. I have passed on some nice guitars because they wouldn't even budge on a high price for what they were.

Waiting on some more pics...

Tom

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:46 pm

As far as dealing with GC used, I've had pretty good luck getting them to come down 10 to 15 percent, unless there's already been a price drop. At that point they're pretty inflexible, sometimes understandably. For example a few weeks ago there was a USA Will Ray that was dropped from 1799 to 1199 in one fell swoop at one of their locations in California, it didn't last long after that. Sometimes, again depending on the region, they price used G&L's very reasonably from the start. Also, sometimes I'll email the manager in question with an offer, as well as a few links to SOLD guitars of like quality and condition. Along with a commentary about any item in question only being worth what someone is willing to PAY. That usually improves flexibility pretty quickly.

Since I work an insane rotating shift schedule, I had the guitar sent to my local GC instead of my home. ( I live about 10 minutes from it)
It won't arrive until Monday, but I will post pics when I get it.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 am

I'll have to try some of those next time I see something at GC that I like. Usually they say their strict policy is that they can't lower the price until after 90 days like was mentioned above. After that I get nowhere although sometimes in person with cash in hand I have had a bit of luck.

Great find, Hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks. Let us know...

Tom

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Usually what I'll do if not at my local GC is to stick it in a "cart" and check it every few days. Also a good way to see if its sold and needs to be deleted. Patience pays occasionally.

Oddly enough, I've had much better success negotiating online than face to face. Also, bear in mind this approach yields only about a 40 to 50% success rate, but when it works its usually a big win.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:51 am

The guitar arrived yesterday. Those vintage F100 pickups sound pretty awesome. When the neck is split, it has that jazzy blues kind of ASAT special neck pickup, only with the potential to be brighter depending on the tone control setting. In full humbucker mode it is awesome as well, sounding similar to a USA Schecter vintage rock I have in the neck position on another guitar. The bridge pickup sounds again, very similar to an ASAT special bridge pickup. Oddly, the bridge pickup leads were left dangling in the cavity next to the on - on switch, so I'll have to connect them to the switch to see what it sounds like in full humbucker mode.

As near as I can tell the guitar is dead mint, Not even any fret wear. It either hasn't been played much or its been played a lot and someone did an excellent fret dress. The neck measures out to be basically a #1 neck, measuring .825 at the first fret and .995 at the 12th fret, using an old school set of dial calipers. Nut width is 1-5/8.

Plays like you'd expect right out of the box. Set up and intonated very well. Considering the amount of traveling this guitar has done, that speaks highly of its stability.

Craig, I'm still having difficulty logging into the gallery section. I tried to log in once and got the message that the account had been locked due to too many login attempts. I have set up a webpage on shutterfly and am uploading some photos of this and a few other guitars. When it is complete I'll provide a link.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:09 am

Smoochimoto wrote:
Craig, I'm still having difficulty logging into the gallery section. I tried to log in once and got the message that the account had been locked due to too many login attempts.

I have cleared the lock, so please try again. If it fails, PM or EM me.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:36 pm

Here is the link to the website where I uploaded the photos. https://myglsandotherguitars.shutterfly.com/

Was kind of pressed for time and this seemed quicker since I already had the site set up. There are several guitars in the photos, including a Comanche VI reissue, an ASAT III from 96, an ASAT S-3, and a deep bodied OM I made a few years ago when I worked for Hayes Guitars (big with bluegrassers). More detailed photos are at the "photos and videos" tab. I will post the photos and some others in the gallery, but that will be another day.

I did get the leads soldered back to the on - on switch and it sounds great either in single coil or humbucking mode. I think Dean's original post said something about tight bass, good midrange and shimmering highs and that description is right on target.

Please let me know of any questions or comments.

Thanks again to all