What are these $900-$1000 ASAT Specials?

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:43 pm

New to the forum. I ordered an ASAT Special today off Musician's Friend. $899 Stupid deal of the day. I noticed that the headstock logo is different than normal, and the SN is stamped. It's a USA ASAT, not a Tribute. I then started looking around and saw others on other sites for around the same price. Is this a "low end" ASAT? It said the normal price was $1499. The headstock made me curious.

Re: What are these $900-$1000 ASAT Specials?

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:26 am

If the headstock does not say tribute under the G&L then it is a USA model ASAT. Tributes will also say made in Indonesia or China under the serial number. The Tribute ASAT Specials go for around $500-540.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:46 am

I uderstand that it's a USA model, just curious about the different headstock graphics. It doesn't say "guitars by Leo" and the ASAT doesn't have a drop shadow. And the SN is stamped, its not a tag.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:37 am

Sorry, misread your comment about it not being a Tribute. Craig can probably shed more light on this. I see on Musician's Friend that they have both versions of the ASAT Special logo. My guess is it is a different design kind of like some people have opted for, and now some model runs, with only the G&L logo but no model markings on the headstock. I've noticed that recently the new USA models are using stamped serial numbers instead of the riveted tag. Maybe a cost savings thing.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:40 am

Davage wrote:New to the forum. I ordered an ASAT Special today off Musician's Friend. $899 Stupid deal of the day. I noticed that the headstock logo is different than normal, and the SN is stamped. It's a USA ASAT, not a Tribute. I then started looking around and saw others on other sites for around the same price. Is this a "low end" ASAT? It said the normal price was $1499. The headstock made me curious.

They were a special run using the older "serif" text model name logo, limited to a few of colors, with a G&L gigbag instead of the deluxe case. See: October 2016 ASAT Specials from the factory ....

:ugeek:

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:46 am

So it's a special run! That's pretty cool. Thanks for the info! Mine is coming with a hard case though. The Belair Green must not have sold that well.