add tremolo to ASAT Deluxe semi?

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:11 am

Is it possible to add a tremolo to an ASAT Deluxe semi-hollow? Has anyone done this successfully with an aftermarket tremolo? I have a great 2012 ASAT Deluxe semi-hollow and tremolo would make it even better.

It seems that the saddle lock bridge is what prevents the units I am aware of from being used. If it had a tunematic, then there are lots of choices.

Suggestions, other than sell it and buy one with a tremolo? I guess that will be the fallback solution.

Thanks,

Charley

Re: add tremolo to ASAT Deluxe semi?

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:38 am

charleyrich wrote:Suggestions, other than sell it and buy one with a tremolo? I guess that will be the fallback solution.

Sure! Keep it and buy another one with a tremolo!

--Al Evans

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Adding a B-bender would get you 1/6th of the way there :eh:

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 pm

The semi-hollows are solid down the middle, IIRC. Your best bet would probably be a Bigsby or a Trem King. Dual-fulcrum type vibratos will require routing out the back of the guitar.

The saddle-lock bridge is anchored into the body. You would have to replace it. Perhaps the Trem King could "re-use" all or part of the routing. If you went the Bigsby route you'd likely want to fill it in.

No matter what you do, installing a vibrato tailpiece will almost certainly lower the resale value of your guitar, which may or may not be a consideration.

I would seriously consider getting a Tribute ASAT Deluxe and upgrading it to do what you want. If it works, so much the better; if not, you haven't "ruined" a perfectly good guitar.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi,

You can add a Bibsgy B5 easily enough. It will (barely) future behind the SLB. But you will need to put holes in body. I know because I have done this.

edg

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any photos of the guitar with the Saddle-lock and Bigsby you added? Were there any problems with intonation, string angle or other concerns? How about functionality? Do you like how it turned out?

Thanks,

Charley

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 am

I will share my experience after converting several Telecasters and a G&L bluesboy to Bigsbys. I would not recomend a B5 with a saddle lock. The string angle will be too low and the fixed saddles will cause tuning issues. The G&L factory uses the B5 as their factory option. To alleviate this issue, the B5 was routed into the body. In recent years they no longer route but the neck pocket is not as deep and sits higher in the body. I would highly recommend get an ASAT with the DFV.

I installed the F Bigsby (Fender) to prevent the string angle issue on the Bluesboy and used the proper bridge for the Bigsby and the Bigsby ended at the end of the guitar. Very little room to work with. Also using the proper bridge is important or you will have tuning issues. There is a posting here of my installation if you do a search on Bigsby Bluesboy. It turned out great with no issues. -- Darwin

Here is the link
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=3098&p=18199&hilit=bigsby+installation#p18199

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Does it make sense to take off the saddlelock and replace with a tunematic and tremolo? Or is that too risky just sell it and get one that has the right bridge?

--Charley

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Removing the saddlelock will leave a big cut in the body. I wouldn't attempt this type of conversion, but would sell the guitar and buy exactly what you are looking for. The ASAT deluxe is very nice and it would be a shame to butcher it. My opinion for what it is worth. -- Darwin