Do telecaster pickups fit into an ASAT Classic w/ no mods?

Wed May 26, 2010 3:57 pm

this would include the chrome cover. I am thinking of replacing the ASAT Classic pups with some alnico 5 tele pups, and just want to make sure it is a straight swap with no modding necessary. thanks

Re: Do telecaster pickups fit into an ASAT Classic w/ no mods?

Wed May 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Sure is. Which pickups are you thinking of?

Thu May 27, 2010 9:37 am

Yeap! No problem! Any standard Tele pups will fit perfectly!

Thu May 27, 2010 8:33 pm

I am not absolutely set to do the switch. I was thinking about Fender Nocaster or Original Vintage pups

Thu May 27, 2010 8:49 pm

johnnyqb wrote:I am not absolutely set to do the switch. I was thinking about Fender Nocaster or Original Vintage pups

One thing you may or may not know about the ASAT Classic, is that Leo moved the neck pickup a little further from the neck. I don't
know if this would affect the sound of a replacement pickup should you choose to do the replacement.

Hope this helps.

Thu May 27, 2010 10:07 pm

I love the pups on my Nocaster -- They would probably sound great on the ASAT.

Fri May 28, 2010 8:24 am

"One thing you may or may not know about the ASAT Classic, is that Leo moved the neck pickup a little further from the neck. I don't know if this would affect the sound of a replacement pickup should you choose to do the replacement."

Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for the info!

Sun May 30, 2010 11:58 pm

I have a fairly hot OV neck pickup matched with a Don Mare bridge pickup in my ASAT Classic, and it actually sounds more Tele-like than some of my Fender Teles. I would only imagine that a set of Nocasters would work very well. I've never noticed a noticeable change in tone in the neck pickup because of its location, either.

I might also add that the CS Nocaster and OV pups are both constructed with Alnico III magnets, although, the Nocaster set offers the bridge pickup RWRP for middle-position hum cancelling whereas the OV set does not.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:43 pm

thanks so much for all the advice. I bought a set of Nocasters and will put those in there. I happen to have a Fender vintage bridge and some nice compensated saddles (I have one set brass and one steel--figuring I would try the brass set first), so I think I might switch those too to see what this guitar would sound and feel like as a pseudo Nocaster.....

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:54 pm

I have steel saddles on my '97 ASAT Classic, I find it a bit too bright, though it makes it great for Don Rich style twang. I intend to switch them to brass.

And johnnyqb, make sure you tell us what you think of the nocasters in your ASAT. I'm expecting a set of Don Mare Donocasters any day now and am dead keen to hear if the vintage pickups compare.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:48 am

If any of ya'll are looking to sell the pups you take out of your ASAT, I could use a bridge pup and would be willing to pay $35 shipped.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:48 pm

I swapped in the Nocasters yesterday (as well as the Fender bridge and vintage-style brass saddles) and my ASAT sounds incredible. These Nocasters sound better than they ever sounded in a tele to me (I had them in several teles), and I just have to take that as evidence of the qualities of this ASAT. I do like the stock MFD pups, but I really do prefer a more vintage type sound from a tele. The only way I will be swapping the stocks back in is if I decide to sell this guitar. The Nocasters sound phenomenal in all three positions. I play the guitar for a half hour when I only intended to for five minutes--that type of thing...

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:45 pm

Great to hear that it sounds so good. I will definitely be changing my stock pickups out soon

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:58 pm

hcole wrote:If any of ya'll are looking to sell the pups you take out of your ASAT, I could use a bridge pup and would be willing to pay $35 shipped.

Please review our G&LDP Guidelines, we ask that you post a Want Ad in our Marketplace, not in the G&LDP forums.

Thanks for your cooperation.