Invader deluxe plus not popular?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:34 am

As some of you have read I just got this new guitar. Well new to me anyways. In my search for information on it, (which there is hardly any out there) I have come up pretty much empty. I saw the 2009 catalog that is posted on this site and it does not show a deluxe option. I have looked on line from several places and still have not found any information. Whats years were they made from, what were the options etc ets? One reason is I see someone posted that there is a brand new one up on ebay but yet I thought they stopped making them a while ago.

There are also only 3 or 4 people who have registard their invader deluxe plus on the registry. So who all had one post pics if you got them. I hope this is an active community I am joining. Have a great day everybody!!!

Re: Invader deluxe plus not popular?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Here's the Superstrat page on my website with the history and name changes for this model. It contains pictures of the Invader plus from the 1996 Catalog (and the 2001 Catalog. Both can also be found in the Gallery.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:38 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Here's the Superstrat page on my website with the history and name changes for this model. It contains pictures of the Invader plus from the 1996 Catalog (and the 2001 Catalog. Both can also be found in the Gallery.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thank you very much , this is EXACTLY the information I was looking for. Now the only question I have is, I found out mine is a 2009 so would the floyd be a OFR floyd, or a gotoch licensed. And is the neck flatsawn or quatersawn, that i cant find.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:16 am

invader1993 wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Here's the Superstrat page on my website with the history and name changes for this model. It contains pictures of the Invader plus from the 1996 Catalog (and the 2001 Catalog. Both can also be found in the Gallery.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thank you very much , this is EXACTLY the information I was looking for. Now the only question I have is, I found out mine is a 2009 so would the floyd be a OFR floyd, or a gotoch licensed. And is the neck flatsawn or quatersawn, that i cant find.

First page is from the 2004 US price list, second from the 2010 price list:
ImageImage

In both cases it lists an Original USA Floyd Rose locking vibrato as a bridge option. And since these years straddle the year of your guitar, I guess that's what you have too.

- Jos

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:52 am

Great information, I think you are right its a OFR so that is good, but they say the neck is hard rock maple, and birdseye neck, but does not mention if its quatersawn or flatsawn, or did I miss it?

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:59 am

invader1993 wrote:Great information, I think you are right its a OFR so that is good, but they say the neck is hard rock maple, and birdseye neck, but does not mention if its quatersawn or flatsawn, or did I miss it?

Most necks on G&L throughout history are rift-sawn or flat-sawn; those of us interested in pre-BBE G&L's have never seen a quarter-sawn neck from that era. In the BBE-era, with the exception of certain models produced in limited quantities by the CCD, quartersawn and/or BEM have always been options that had to be specified on the order, otherwise it wouldn't happen.

- Jos

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Can you tell me what the typical string gauge is when from the factory if not specified on this guitar?

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:00 pm

invader1993 wrote:As some of you have read I just got this new guitar. Well new to me anyways. In my search for information on it, (which there is hardly any out there) I have come up pretty much empty. I saw the 2009 catalog that is posted on this site and it does not show a deluxe option. I have looked on line from several places and still have not found any information. Whats years were they made from, what were the options etc ets? One reason is I see someone posted that there is a brand new one up on ebay but yet I thought they stopped making them a while ago.

There are also only 3 or 4 people who have registard their invader deluxe plus on the registry. So who all had one post pics if you got them. I hope this is an active community I am joining. Have a great day everybody!!!

The Invader Deluxe models were discontinued in 2014, see: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).
Because the Deluxe models had a Flame Maple top and there is a Maple Top option (Flame or Quilt), it was decided to eliminate the Deluxe models and let the customer get a deluxe
version via the Maple Top option.

:ugeek:

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
invader1993 wrote:Great information, I think you are right its a OFR so that is good, but they say the neck is hard rock maple, and birdseye neck, but does not mention if its quatersawn or flatsawn, or did I miss it?

Most necks on G&L throughout history are rift-sawn or flat-sawn; those of us interested in pre-BBE G&L's have never seen a quarter-sawn neck from that era. In the BBE-era, with the exception of certain models produced in limited quantities by the CCD, quartersawn and/or BEM have always been options that had to be specified on the order, otherwise it wouldn't happen.

- Jos

Quarter-sawn necks were standard on the Rustic models (2009-2015) and the ASAT Bass Tom Hamilton Signature Model (2013-present), see: 2014-15 (pre-July 1) G&L U.S. Specifications and Options and Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).
Beginning in January 1, 2013, Quarter-sawn necks became a standard option, see this PDF file in our Gallery: U.S. Dealer Price List - Jan. 1, 2013.

Last edited by Craig on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Correction on the start of Quarter-sawn neck option

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:29 pm

invader1993 wrote:Can you tell me what the typical string gauge is when from the factory if not specified on this guitar?

See: What gauge & brand of strings does G&L use on their guitars?

For other questions you might have, try using the Search function. And also, see: Welcome! Read This First.

Hope this helps.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Craig wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

Quarter-sawn necks were standard on the Rustic models (2009-2015) and the ASAT Bass Tom Hamilton Signature Model (2013-present), see: 2014-15 (pre-July 1) G&L U.S. Specifications and Options and Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).
Beginning in January 1, 2013, Quarter-sawn necks became a standard option, see this PDF file in our Gallery: U.S. Dealer Price List - Jan. 1, 2013.

Have to correct myself in that the short-lived pre-BBE L-5000 Bass actually did have a quarter-sawn neck. The reason was easy to understand. The extra B-string exerts extra force on the neck but the truss-rod was still the same as for the 4-string models and not sufficient enough. The necks were picked out carefully too (source is this page on the ggjaguar.com site).

:ugeek: :geek:

- Jos

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:49 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Craig wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

Have to correct myself in that the short-lived pre-BBE L-5000 Bass actually did have a quarter-sawn neck. The reason was easy to understand. The extra B-string exerts extra force on the neck but the truss-rod was still the same as for the 4-string models and not sufficient enough. The necks were picked out carefully too (source is this page on the ggjaguar.com site).

:ugeek: :geek:

- Jos

I missed that one and it is also listed on the 1989 L-5000 Ad Slick in our Gallery:

Thanks for the update.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Craig wrote:
invader1993 wrote:As some of you have read I just got this new guitar. Well new to me anyways. In my search for information on it, (which there is hardly any out there) I have come up pretty much empty. I saw the 2009 catalog that is posted on this site and it does not show a deluxe option. I have looked on line from several places and still have not found any information. Whats years were they made from, what were the options etc ets? One reason is I see someone posted that there is a brand new one up on ebay but yet I thought they stopped making them a while ago.

The Invader Deluxe models were discontinued in 2014, see: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).
Because the Deluxe models had a Flame Maple top and there is a Maple Top option (Flame or Quilt), it was decided to eliminate the Deluxe models and let the customer get a deluxe

But I though that the whole point of the deluxe was not just the maple, top but the mahogany body am i wrong? As from reading the catalogs it says the deluxe plus all had mahogy body with a maple top, so while you say they could get a maple top option, there is still the question of the mahogany body though.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 pm

invader1993 wrote:
Craig wrote:

But I though that the whole point of the deluxe was not just the maple, top but the mahogany body am i wrong? As from reading the catalogs it says the deluxe plus all had mahogy body with a maple top, so while you say they could get a maple top option, there is still the question of the mahogany body though.

You are correct that the Deluxe versions had Mahogany bodies. This was also true with the Legacy Deluxe, S-500 Deluxe, ASAT Special Deluxe and the ASAT Deluxe. Only the ASAT Deluxe models remain
in the standard U.S. production with mahogany bodies. Also, note that the Legacy Deluxe and S-500 Deluxe body woods did change over their life cycle, see: What different body woods has the S-500 Deluxe model had?.

I will look for my notes and emails from Dave regarding discontinuance of those Deluxe models. If I find them, I will update this thread with more details.