Buyin a G&L ....

Tue May 25, 2010 11:01 am

I'm torn between the S-500 and the Legacy HB. I've read so many reviews, my head is spinning. I play everything from SRV and EJ, to Planet X, Greg Howe, and Vai....and moving into progressive fusion/rock.

Will the S-500 MFD's meet my needs with regard to output? If not, that may steer me toward the HB. I've read that the S-500 is a very unique animal, and that some have gotten close to that "strat bell-like" tone (around 85%) with the S-500. Any owners have bias toward either??

Thanks

Re: Buyin a G&L ....

Tue May 25, 2010 4:07 pm

glauben wrote:I'm torn between the S-500 and the Legacy HB. I've read so many reviews, my head is spinning. I play everything from SRV and EJ, to Planet X, Greg Howe, and Vai....and moving into progressive fusion/rock.

Will the S-500 MFD's meet my needs with regard to output? If not, that may steer me toward the HB. I've read that the S-500 is a very unique animal, and that some have gotten close to that "strat bell-like" tone (around 85%) with the S-500. Any owners have bias toward either??

Thanks

I recently posted in the Knowledgebase, Boogie Bill's article titled Comanche's for Dummies Redux which he posted on the G&LDP last year. The majority of information
in his article applies to the S-500 MFD pickups, as well.

Also in the Knowledgebase is a list of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

Re: Buyin a G&L ....

Wed May 26, 2010 12:51 am

I don't have an S-500, but I do have one of the S-500 pickups in the middle position on my ASAT Classic S. It is a fantastic pickup clean and overdriven. I have experienced no squeal from it at all, ever. There's plenty of output there too, not crazy amounts, but ample - Eric Johnson and SRV's strat pickup's would most likely be lower output than the MFDs. I guess it's 'stratty', but better! I'd personally go for the S-500 as I'm not a huge fan of bridge humbuckers when coupled with single coils elsewhere on the guitar. It just doesn't look quite right to me!