OK, who owns the Fallout Prototype?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:20 pm

The one with the big MFD in the neck? I was thinking of buying this when it was on Reverb, I'm wondering how it's working out for the owner.

Re: OK, who owns the Fallout Prototype?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi. Yes, I own it. I was planning to take some pictures of this sooner or later, but your question inspired me to do it sooner!

My interest in the LE-2 model led me to this guitar. I had really wanted an LE-2, but when I found out that they were not making any more roasted maple necks, I was bummed. I figured my second choice was ebony, but that would have been a pricey upgrade for an already pricey guitar. Also, I was not sure that I really wanted to commit to the F-100 bridge pickup. But I knew I wanted the large MFD in the neck.

Then I saw the Fallout prototype. With the large MFD in the neck and the ebony fretboard, it was almost exactly what I was looking for. (I would have preferred a DFV bridge, but I also love the saddle locks). I watched it on Reverb for quite a while. One day, i saw it was on sale, so I pulled the trigger.

Upon receiving the guitar I loved almost everything about it. It is fairly lightweight and resonant. Between the satin neck and the ebony fretboard, it feels very fast and slick. My only issue with the guitar was the bridge pickup. For me, I don't like a lot of bass in the bridge pickup. (That is what the neck pickup is for). I could not dial out the bass in the stock bridge pickup (no PTB on this one...). I thought for a moment of putting an F-100 pickup in the bridge (like the LE-2). I also considered trying to fit a Z-coil in there (as I've seen done on this forum). But, given the uniqueness of this guitar, I decided not to do any irreversible mods on it. So, I opted for a pickup that is tried and true for me: The Harmonic Design Z90. I asked Scott at Harmonic Design to make me one that would be hum canceling with the neck pickup. ( I sent him a neck pickup, to ensure that it was correct). For me, the Z90 is a perfect match for this guitar. It has a powerful output to match the MFD and a mid range emphasis, with enough highs and not too much bass. It really goes well blended with the MFD, which gives it bass and sweetness. Of course, I keep the original pickup in the case, so it can go back to stock, if needed.

Anyway, enough talk. Here are the pics to prove it exists:

Last edited by cho on Fri May 26, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Hey thanks for replying! I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the guitar.

I was told by the shop selling it that the nut width was 1 3/4". That, and the all black look made me hesitate. But, I honestly noticed the price drop after you bought it and I've always felt like this was one that got away. I've since picked up an S-500 with a 1 3/4" nut and I love it. So, if you're ever thinking of moving it please let me know.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Jackstraw, will do. I think it is too bad that they don't offer the fallout with the MFD pickup option. I have previously owned a couple of the G&Ls with P90s (standard Fallout and Korina ASAT Junior II) and they did not do much for me. I really love the clarity, sweetness and dynamics of the MFD. For me, the MFD is the heart of a G&L. I suppose they figured that the Fallout would be too close to the SC-2 if they offered it with the MFD.... Then again, I also wish they would reissue the SC-1!

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Sweet guitar really. Still looking for a vintage SC-2 in black and Ebony but a newer one may have to do some day. Good score.

Tom

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Tom,
I've never seen a vintage SC-1 or SC-2 model with anything except a maple fretboard. But, maybe there is one out there.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:34 am

cho wrote:Tom,
I've never seen a vintage SC-1 or SC-2 model with anything except a maple fretboard. But, maybe there is one out there.

The pre-BBE SC-2 (and SC-1) were only available with maple boards until they went out of production at the end of 1984. The SC-3 has been available with maple, ebony (only 1987), and rosewood (1988 and later). This is all according to the price lists. Dale Hyat would never forego a good sale so e.g. the F-100 was available until he retired in November 1991. Same is true for the X-body Interceptor where 2 were built in the summer 1991. So it might not be impossible there is an ebony board pre-BBE SC-2 out there but I'd claim it is unlikely.

- Jos

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:49 am

That is a great looking guitar cho, I like the " SC-2 " on the headstock. Enjoy it !

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 pm

love the proto !! ...... wish that was in my collection

I here you on the roasted maple .... I hope G&L don't give up on this process , the LE2 RM neck is my best sounding neck pup between my 2013 SC2 and 1986 Broadcaster ( roasted maple , rosewood and maple in that order ) .... not sure whats different but the LE sounds great with that neck , especially if the SC2 and LE 2 share the same pick up , I know the Bcaster is wound different

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:48 am

Damn that thing looks mean ! Love it !!!

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:16 am

Hey Cho,

That's one true beauty.

We all know black guitars sound better. :evilgrin:

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:love the proto !! ...... wish that was in my collection

I here you on the roasted maple .... I hope G&L don't give up on this process , the LE2 RM neck is my best sounding neck pup between my 2013 SC2 and 1986 Broadcaster ( roasted maple , rosewood and maple in that order ) .... not sure whats different but the LE sounds great with that neck , especially if the SC2 and LE 2 share the same pick up , I know the Bcaster is wound different

Warmoth, USAG, and Musikraft are all doing it...

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I here you on the roasted maple .... I hope G&L don't give up on this process , the LE2 RM neck is my best sounding neck pup between my 2013 SC2 and 1986 Broadcaster ( roasted maple , rosewood and maple in that order ) .... not sure whats different but the LE sounds great with that neck , especially if the SC2 and LE 2 share the same pick up , I know the Bcaster is wound different

I never played a roasted maple neck, but that LE-2 demo by Nick Jaffe sold me on it, even with the youtube quality video. The neck pickup in particular sounds so sweet! I bet the RM neck would really sound great on a semi-hollow...

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:35 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:

The pre-BBE SC-2 (and SC-1) were only available with maple boards until they went out of production at the end of 1984. The SC-3 has been available with maple, ebony (only 1987), and rosewood (1988 and later). This is all according to the price lists. Dale Hyat would never forego a good sale so e.g. the F-100 was available until he retired in November 1991. Same is true for the X-body Interceptor where 2 were built in the summer 1991. So it might not be impossible there is an ebony board pre-BBE SC-2 out there but I'd claim it is unlikely.

- Jos

Well that's probably why I couldn't find any with Ebony FBs. Not a huge fan of painted FBs and prefer the feel of the real wood.

What year was this SC-2 built, any idea? It is super sweet looking but IMHO, the Maple wold be too stark of a difference. To each his own though. Thanks for the pics Cho, enjoy.

Tom

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:44 am

FZTNT wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

Well that's probably why I couldn't find any with Ebony FBs. Not a huge fan of painted FBs and prefer the feel of the real wood.

What year was this SC-2 built, any idea? It is super sweet looking but IMHO, the Maple wold be too stark of a difference. To each his own though. Thanks for the pics Cho, enjoy.

Tom

From the G&L Prototypes page:

Serial Number: CLF60492

Date Completed: July 12 5, 2011

Description: Black over alder, 3-ply black pickguard, rosewood fingerboard, Clear Satin finish.

Purpose: Dave McLaren recalls, "This prototype clearly shows that the Fallout is based on the SC-2: the headstock is straight from an SC-2 including an SC-2 decal.
This guitar was made in the early stage of development, and this point, the only thing we were certain of is we wanted a humbucker in the bridge position, a meaty single
coil in the neck position, and a cool pickguard shape that would complement the body shape borrowed directly from the SC-2. Our early thinking was to use a jumbo MFD
as used in an SC-2 or ASAT Special paired with a G&L humbucker. Though the two pickups paired quite well, we later decided to go with a G&L P-90 we had developed for
the ASAT Junior II paired with a Seymour Duncan TB-4. This is a rockin' little axe and a cool historical nugget."

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Craig wrote:
FZTNT wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

Tom

From the G&L Prototypes page:

Serial Number: CLF60492

Date Completed: July 12 5, 2011

Description: Black over alder, 3-ply black pickguard, rosewood fingerboard, Clear Satin finish.

Purpose: Dave McLaren recalls, "This prototype clearly shows that the Fallout is based on the SC-2: the headstock is straight from an SC-2 including an SC-2 decal.
This guitar was made in the early stage of development, and this point, the only thing we were certain of is we wanted a humbucker in the bridge position, a meaty single
coil in the neck position, and a cool pickguard shape that would complement the body shape borrowed directly from the SC-2. Our early thinking was to use a jumbo MFD
as used in an SC-2 or ASAT Special paired with a G&L humbucker. Though the two pickups paired quite well, we later decided to go with a G&L P-90 we had developed for
the ASAT Junior II paired with a Seymour Duncan TB-4. This is a rockin' little axe and a cool historical nugget."

Craig, I am confused by your quote from the prototype page. It is not an SC-2 nor does it list an Ebony board. Although CLF60492 is in the registry as having an Ebony board. Are you just comparing the options of the Fallout and the SC-2?

Tom

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:26 pm

Tom,

The guitar that Dave McLaren is describing is this same guitar. It is the Fallout prototype.

I hadn't realized that it was designated as having a rosewood fretboard. I assumed it was ebony because it is so black. Also, I think the store that sold it told me it was ebony. However, I went and took a closer look, and I think it very well may be rosewood, although it is the darkest, least grainy rosewood I have ever seen. Here is a closeup:

I compared it to one of my ebony FB guitars, and the grain patterns do seem different. The Fallout has a bunch of short grains in it, whereas the ebony tends to have long, thin stripes for the grain... Perhaps for the Fallout, they just chose the blackest rosewood they had, so it would match the black guitar... thanks for catching that!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:58 am

Sure is a dark Rosewood if that's what it is...

So essentially they took an SC-2 and put different pickups in it and called it a Fallout, and that's the prototype for it. Pretty cool. I think I have seen this guitar before and that's what lead me in my search for an SC-2 with Ebony board.

Tom

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:33 pm

The guitar that Dave McLaren is describing is this same guitar. It is the Fallout prototype.

I hadn't realized that it was designated as having a rosewood fretboard. I assumed it was ebony because it is so black. Also, I think the store that sold it told me it was ebony. However, I went and took a closer look, and I think it very well may be rosewood, although it is the darkest, least grainy rosewood I have ever seen. Here is a closeup:

I compared it to one of my ebony FB guitars, and the grain patterns do seem different. The Fallout has a bunch of short grains in it, whereas the ebony tends to have long, thin stripes for the grain... Perhaps for the Fallout, they just chose the blackest rosewood they had, so it would match the black guitar... thanks for catching that!

FZTNT wrote:Sure is a dark Rosewood if that's what it is...

So essentially they took an SC-2 and put different pickups in it and called it a Fallout, and that's the prototype for it. Pretty cool. I think I have seen this guitar before and that's what lead me in my search for an SC-2 with Ebony board.

Tom

Yes, that is a Rosewood fretboard. I updated the registry entry to reflect this. Glad to have seen the photo from cho, as it clarify that it is Rosewood.

Tom,
The pickguard also plays a big role in the Fallout as was mentioned in the text of this Fallout Prototype.

If you are looking to get an SC-2, you can order a new one with an Ebony fretboard option. Here's one that was made last year,
SC-2 in Blueburst over swamp ash, wood binding, quartersawn maple neck with ebony board, locking tuners, and Light Tint Satin finish:

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks Craig, I might go that rout one day if I can get it in that Jet Black color.

Thanks for the info...

Tom