Has anyone wrapped the coil on an ASAT Special MFD?

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:56 pm

I've never been a fan of the big plastic MFD covers. The bobbin material is that nice flat black, however. MFD's are wound notoriously close to the bobbin edges and then stuffed into the plastic covers. If I took off the cover successfully, is there any reason not to wind some good quality black pickup tape around them and enjoy the "commando" look of the raw bobbins?

Re: Has anyone wrapped the coil on an ASAT Special MFD?

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Here is a picture of an SC-2 with the pickup covers off. I think they look cool, although not so much with the rectangular route. I'd love to see them like this with an oval route, or with a properly shaped pickguard.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:22 pm

Getting the cover off successfully is not as easy as it sounds. As you say, the pickup is stuffed in there REALLY tight and the wax potting seems to be bonded to the cover. I'm zero from one so far. Broken coil and rewind required, even after softening the wax.

Let us know how you go. The bobbin look is pretty cool though.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Philby,
I haven't had that problem with the large MFDs. For me, the covers have pretty much slid off with slight tapping. (I am 6 for 6, for statistics sake.) I have heard that z-coils are difficult this way, but I haven' tried them. Has anyone else tried this with the large MFDs?