'Fallout' n00b Q&A

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi there,

After recently failing to purchase a bargain left-handed G&L 'Fallout' on Reverb, I have now become obsessed with them, and am about to pull-the-trigger on getting a custom lefty made up for me.. I have a few quick questions, having never owned one...What appeals to me about them is their sonic characteristic. Having been a Fender Stratman my whole life I recently moved onto a Tele and love it. I play mainly 'clean' sounding strummy indie type guitar with bursts of psychedelic noise, modulation etc and from the 'online' demos the 'fallout' seems to porvide that sonic palette. Interestingly I have the first two Band of Susan's albums and noticed that the SC-2 were crucial to their droney, distorto sound, which is interesting consdiering so much of the shoegaze/ne-psych sound was dependent on the tinny tones and flowy tremelo of Fender jags and Jazzmasters... I'm curious to know the following:

*The bridge - does the standard 'saddle lock' bridge offer better sustain/drone that the tremelo bridge, I understand there is some tech on the 'saddle lock' that allows more vinbration through the instrument, does this translate when you add distortion?
    *Alder or Swamp Ash - do the wood types make a difference to the overall 'sonic'?
    * The pickups..I"m happy to stay with the Std P90's but are the new G&L humbuckers better than the Seymour Duncans, which are an offered option?

I guess the only other thing I have a 'first world problem' about is the colour/finish..The sparkle finishes don't appeal, and then there are some that show up more fingerprints than others, can anyone recommend any reasonable options?? LOL!

Re: 'Fallout' n00b Q&A

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi SL,

I am not into the type of sound you are looking for, but I might be able to provide some input of value.

1) To me, the SLB provides more sustain. I doubt it provides more distortion, but I find that the trem thins out the sound, and I don't care for them. That's me.
2) Yes, the wood makes a difference, but to what degree depends on who you talk to. The finish also plays a role in determining the wood type. See the G&L web page for details. And flexibility.
3) My Fallout has the Duncan PU. I am a Duncan fan. But Paul Gagnon designs some really nice pups.
4) What finish? They all have their issues, and their benefits. Pick one, and deal with it.

And welcome to our world. Be prepared to buy more :)

edg

Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:49 am

Cheers.. I'm thinking a Ruby-red finish with pearl scratchplate, silver or tabacco, I can't decide!!

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:00 am

SonicLife wrote:Hi there,

After recently failing to purchase a bargain left-handed G&L 'Fallout' on Reverb, I have now become obsessed with them, and am about to pull-the-trigger on getting a custom lefty made up for me.. I have a few quick questions, having never owned one...What appeals to me about them is their sonic characteristic. Having been a Fender Stratman my whole life I recently moved onto a Tele and love it. I play mainly 'clean' sounding strummy indie type guitar with bursts of psychedelic noise, modulation etc and from the 'online' demos the 'fallout' seems to porvide that sonic palette. Interestingly I have the first two Band of Susan's albums and noticed that the SC-2 were crucial to their droney, distorto sound, which is interesting consdiering so much of the shoegaze/ne-psych sound was dependent on the tinny tones and flowy tremelo of Fender jags and Jazzmasters... I'm curious to know the following:

*The bridge - does the standard 'saddle lock' bridge offer better sustain/drone that the tremelo bridge, I understand there is some tech on the 'saddle lock' that allows more vinbration through the instrument, does this translate when you add distortion?
    *Alder or Swamp Ash - do the wood types make a difference to the overall 'sonic'?
    * The pickups..I"m happy to stay with the Std P90's but are the new G&L humbuckers better than the Seymour Duncans, which are an offered option?

I guess the only other thing I have a 'first world problem' about is the colour/finish..The sparkle finishes don't appeal, and then there are some that show up more fingerprints than others, can anyone recommend any reasonable options?? LOL!

"The pickups..I"m happy to stay with the Std P90's but are the new G&L humbuckers better than the Seymour Duncans, which are an offered option?"

If your reference to P90s is related to the SC-2, you should know that those are not P90s, but rather Leo Fender designed MFD single coils and are much different than P90s even though they look similar.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:42 pm

suave eddie wrote:
"The pickups..I"m happy to stay with the Std P90's but are the new G&L humbuckers better than the Seymour Duncans, which are an offered option?"

If your reference to P90s is related to the SC-2, you should know that those are not P90s, but rather Leo Fender designed MFD single coils and are much different than P90s even though they look similar.

NO this is specifically relating to the FALLOUT.. Unfortunately the SC2 is not made in left handers at the moment.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:34 pm

I haven't heard the G&L humbucker but can say the Duncan JB sounds great in the Fallout.
If you think about it the bridge has to increase sustain. No vibration is lost to stray mechanical vibrations.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:43 pm

my Fallout is my favorite , mine has the SD , I'm sure G&L's is fine ..... thinking about getting another Fallout

Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:12 pm

SO it's a better option to have the SLB bridge than the tremelo? I just keep hearing that the SLB is a pretty legendary bridge, so maybe no worth friggen with the riggin'!