bluesboy saddle adjustment?

Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 pm

i just got a semi holllow bluesboy, and it is a GREAT guitar. there is a slight buzz on the 1st fret of the G string, and high note bends fret out a bit on the same string. is there a quick fix by adjusting the saddle? I don't have much experience making these kinds of adjustments.

thanks!

Re: bluesboy saddle adjustment?

Sun May 23, 2010 8:24 am

There are a couple of things you can do:
  • Make a slight adjustment to the neck relief.
  • Increase the height of your G-string saddle (using a radius gauge is advised but not necessary)
  • If you don't feel comfortable doing that work yourself and have bought the guitar from a dealer nearby, let them do it.
Finally, I didn't feel all to comfortable working on my own guitars until I got Dan Erlewine's How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great. Not only is this a fine book, but in the back you'll find snap out radius gauges.

Hope this helps.

Sun May 23, 2010 8:37 am

thanks for the reply. i do not feel comfortable at all working on guitars, so i may pick up that book, appreciate the tip!

i assume the screw on the saddle would need to be turned clockwise so that the saddle moves away from the bridge? would this throw off the intonation at all?

i think need to pick up a beater guitar to experiment with.

Sun May 23, 2010 9:12 am

earache33 wrote:thanks for the reply. i do not feel comfortable at all working on guitars, so i may pick up that book, appreciate the tip!

i assume the screw on the saddle would need to be turned clockwise so that the saddle moves away from the bridge? would this throw off the intonation at all?

i think need to pick up a beater guitar to experiment with.

Just take your time and don't honk any wrenches and you will not have an issue.

Sun May 23, 2010 2:40 pm

earache33 wrote:i assume the screw on the saddle would need to be turned clockwise so that the saddle moves away from the bridge? would this throw off the intonation at all?

Yes, the turning the screw in the back clockwise would move the saddle backwards. And yes, this will change the intonation. But don't forget that the other option is to lift the saddle slightly, i.e. turn the 2 small hex-bolts in the saddle clockwise and make sure they both still firmly touch the bridge plate. But most iikely you neck needs a small adjustment (after which you still have to address the intonation). Firmly insert the proper size hex wrench in the nut at the headstock and turn it maybe 1/8 of a rotation counter clockwise (loosening the nut) might be all you need. Here is a nice description (with all the usual warnings) on how to adjust neck relief.

Ans as srmyghin states, take your time and make sure all wrenches are of the right size and properly seated in the socket and you should have no problem whatsoever.