Ash vs alder

Wed May 19, 2010 9:29 am

Aside from cosmetics, what are the tonal differences in ash and alder. I have heard ash resonates better, but not sure if this is the case. I know it is always an upgrade on price from alder so is it all about the grain or does it sound better also?

Thanks

Re: Ash vs alder

Thu May 20, 2010 5:24 am

swjake83 wrote:Aside from cosmetics, what are the tonal differences in ash and alder. I have heard ash resonates better, but not sure if this is the case. I know it is always an upgrade on price from alder so is it all about the grain or does it sound better also?

Thanks

Here's a great page on different tonewoods.

Sat May 22, 2010 11:05 am

ash has a more pronounced grain than alder and is typically heavier than alder. I think it looks nicer. I am not a subscribed to the effects of tonewood being terribly noticable.

Sat May 29, 2010 7:57 pm

I can't always hear a difference in tone - BUT, when I do it is most dramatic on my 80s ASATs. I cannot explain it, but the tone quality, resonance, & sustain seem best on the ones with ash, not quite as good on the ones with alder, and least so on the ones with maple bodies. Go figure. On other brands, other years, other models, etc, I don't hear much difference. More likely to find a weight difference than tonal difference. I must say that the grain of an ash body can be very much more pleasing to the eye - and usually is.