New standard case?

Sun May 16, 2010 1:49 pm

I have heard that all G&L's are now shipped with the G&G black case as standard. Is this the case, and if so that is awsome!!!! I really don't like the skb molded type cases so I was going to upgrade to a G&G tweed or black tolex anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Re: New standard case?

Sun May 16, 2010 2:10 pm

This is what it says at the G&L web site.
Looks like it may just happen. Never did like the plastic cases.

All USA G&L Basses and Guitars now ship with Deluxe Hardshell Tolex Case w/Fitted Interior

Fullerton, Calif., April 22, 2010 - The team at G&L has worked closely with longtime G&L case supplier, G&G Quality Case Co. of Los Angeles, California, to offer specially designed cases for each G&L body style. There are dedicated cases for ASAT guitars, Legacy/S-500/Comanche, F-100, SC-2, L-2000, ASAT Bass and more.

"We wanted to ensure there was no way an instrument could move around inside one of our new cases, so we came up with 'fitted' body pockets designed for each G&L body style" said Steve Grom, G&L Director of Manufacturing, addling "One thing people liked about the molded hardshell cases was the interior insert on the case was formed so it held the body in place to prevent any unwanted movement. Thanks to the support of our friends at G&G Quality Case, we have incorporated that idea into the Deluxe Black Tolex case that people really love."

Sun May 16, 2010 2:19 pm

Awesome! And this is in effect already?

Sun May 16, 2010 5:53 pm

I received my custom Blues Boy on May 4 and it had the new case. It is a very snug fit, requires a bit of pressure to actually seat the guitar properly. I think very nice!

--recluse

Sun May 16, 2010 7:09 pm

does it affect the price or just a better standard case? btw, nice color. Did you go with the tinted neck or the regular satin finish? Im not sure if Im going stock neck with rosewood, or if i want the gun oil tint with the laquer finish and rose wood.

Sun May 16, 2010 8:06 pm

No affect on the price. I ordered clear back on 1/5, but what with year-end inventory, NAMM, etc, took about 4 months to get delivery. Had it come when expected, it would have been before the newer case, so I guess that some things work out in the end. I went with the satin neck, didn't really like the GNT with the Blueburst finish. Part of me wanted to go with the maple fretboard because the rest of the flock all have rosewoods, and I liked the birdseye, but not quite enough, so I went with looks and it sounds great so I think I made the right decision.

--recluse

Mon May 17, 2010 11:50 am

I do hope G&L moves away from the molded cases. I've had really, really bad luck with the two G&L cases I own. One is about 15 years old, the other about 10. After 10 years of use, both cases start warping in the interior and making a really rancid smell.

The 15 year old case that came with my Legacy has "tumors" for want of a better word popping up inside of the case. I don't want to chuck them out because they are original to the guitars, but I have to keep them at my practice space because of the smell.

Mon May 17, 2010 12:06 pm

my old music man that Leo built has a G&G case from the late 70's, and it literally is almost in as good of shape now as then. Those cases are tanks! They are made even better now so I bet the quality is second to none.

Mon May 17, 2010 1:32 pm

swjake83 wrote:I have heard that all G&L's are now shipped with the G&G black case as standard. Is this the case, and if so that is awsome!!!! I really don't like the skb molded type cases so I was going to upgrade to a G&G tweed or black tolex anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, here is the link to my post regarding the announcement about the cases.

Hope this helps.