Gun Oil rub on the neck

Wed May 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi All,

My USA ASAT classic is supposed to have a gun oil rub finish neck, this is what the dealer info says. Again I've tried other ASAT's that are supposed to have a gun oil rub finish and they all feel the same as mine.

As far as I can tell the neck on my ASAT just has a normal polyurethane finish, there is nothing wrong with it, feels great but just isn't what I would consider to be described as gun oil finish. By gun oil finish I was expecting it to be more like the music man necks where the guitar neck has gun oil applied directly to the neck with no lacquer.

Do G&L mean something different by Gun Oil finish?

Tim

Re: Gun Oil rub on the neck

Wed May 12, 2010 10:51 pm

ta11438 wrote:Hi All,

My USA ASAT classic is supposed to have a gun oil rub finish neck, this is what the dealer info says. Again I've tried other ASAT's that are supposed to have a gun oil rub finish and they all feel the same as mine.

As far as I can tell the neck on my ASAT just has a normal polyurethane finish, there is nothing wrong with it, feels great but just isn't what I would consider to be described as gun oil finish. By gun oil finish I was expecting it to be more like the music man necks where the guitar neck has gun oil applied directly to the neck with no lacquer.

Tim

This neck option is Gun-oil Gloss finish. So, yes they apply a gloss poly finish over it.
We have some information about the Gun-oil tint process used by the factory paint department in the Knowledgebase.
It is posted in the G&L General Questions sub-forum and listed as What is TGN?.

Hope this helps.

Thu May 13, 2010 2:45 pm

ta11438 wrote:Hi All,

Tim

I don't know why they are still using the term "Gun oil finish" as it is very misleading, especilaly to someone knowlegable as yourself to what a gun oil finish really is. Thats all they are doing is applying an amber dye or stain to the neck and then shooting it with a coat of poly.

Now, back in the leo era they did have what they called an "oiled neck" option that you could order on any guitar and came standard on the Rampage. They used Birchwood Casey's Tru-oil and hand applied several coats, hand sanding between coats, a true gun oil finish as used on Leo's Music man guitars and basses. There were also some guitars with heavily birdseyed necks that they would hand rub with tru-oil and then spray over with poly to highlight the nicely figured birdseye and it would give the neck a look very similar to an aged pre CBS Fender neck.

gary

Sat May 15, 2010 10:12 pm

They should call it a tinted neck. Even though the description reads 'gun oil gloss', it can be easily misinterpreted.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the gun oil gloss finish, but I'm sure that the OP is not alone in expecting something different.