Back to playing a G&L everyday

Wed May 12, 2010 1:39 pm

After years of playing only G&L guitars I switched over Grosh for my guitar needs, but now I find my self playing my G&L L-1000 every day. I have owned her for over a year, but just recently I discovered her real voice. You might ask, how could one discover the voice of an instrument a year after owning it? Well it's quite simple and I can explain in pictures better than words.

I went from this:

To this massive power house of low end tone:

It's a Mesa M Pulse-600 with a PW115. It's massive. I got alot of advise about cabs and most of it was to go with a 4x10. Well, I played a bunch of cabs and bwteen the Mesa 4x10 and the 1x15 there was no way I could buy the 4x10. It was louder and had a better range to it, but the 1x15 had that special something that called for that classic tuby sound that I like when playing bass.

Now that little toggle switch does something. Boy does it do some thing to the tone. Like it blows the bass contect through the roof.

There's a whole lot of tone in that pic.

DAVE
Last edited by Dave el Asattwanger on Thu May 13, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Back to playing a G&L everyday

Wed May 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Your bass is covering the right side of the speaker cabinet, but is that the ported Thiele cab with an EV?
I have the 300 watt 12 inch EV in the equivalent Thiele cab made by Pacific Woodworks (ex mesa employee) for my guitar rig. They are great speaker cabs--much louder than just a regular closed back design cab and I believe not so directional. I've seen the Mesa Thiele cabs going used for $300-$500. If you can find a used Pacific Woodworks, which I believe is identical, they are a bit cheaper since they do not say Mesa Boogie on them.

Wed May 12, 2010 6:41 pm

S.Eddie,

Yeah those Mesa Thiele cabs are great. Huge sound for guitar.

This one is of the new Power House series. It has a 600w EV in it and the port is triangled shaped. I traded a very nice Marshall 4x12 for it straight up. It was a $699 trade which is more then I was thinking I would get for the cab. Just happened to be that the store owner was looking for the exact cab I had to complete his stack and my cab was mint. I'll tell you the trueth, my EVH 5150III cab sounds better than that Marshall I traded.

Anywahy here is a clear view of this cab:

I'm running the amp at 8ohm so I can only pump 320 watts into it. Gonna get a 2x10 soon and then I'll have a full 600 watts!!!!
So, I have a two 5 watters, a 12 watter and a 600 watter.

DAVE

Sun May 16, 2010 6:42 pm

The L-1000 rules!!!!!

Tue May 18, 2010 8:52 am

Okay, ignore part of my last post on the Bassman thread. There's your L1K in all her glory. Love the color!
That Mesa looks bad ass!!!
I really need to learn to play bass ;+) - ed