NGD 3 bolt goodness

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:00 pm

I swore I would never own another Birdseye maple neck but here's one more ..... hopefully last longer than my last Birdseye ...... haven't taken the neck off yet but should be a 97 early ASAT Deluxe according to Tim Page on FB ..... had a new nut installed before I picked it up , sounds great , plays nice , slim neck feels good ,light weight under 8 lbs guesstimate , everything you expect from a 3 bolter ..... very good condition for the year of the guitar , not a scratch on it ..... case is a little weird but I didn't get a pict , but it is the smaller G&L logo case with Twist to lock latches tight , never had a twist latch set up before bit it looks factory and un-altered ...... another thing weird is the output jack is counter sunk in real far , far enough that the 90 cable plug won't go in , you have to use a straight cable

Re: NGD 3 bolt goodness

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Nice score, Eric! Great looking 3-bolt Deluxe with very nice, somewhat understated, figure.

- Jos

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:03 pm

I wasn't sure how to enter it in the registry ??...... it's like a quitled flame type of top ..... I'm sure scared of the Birdseye and being a 3 bolt , not sure G&L would make a 3 bolt replacement like they did for my 4 bolt 2000 Comanche when it twisted

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Thats some nice maple there. I hear ya about the Birdseye…. Leo was aware of the problematic nature of it but funny how so many other builders use and have used it.
Was looking at a Guitar Player Mag today from the early 90's w/ Joe Glaser featured in it with one on his tele's and it has a birdseye's neck on it. Its likely that not all BE necks end up having issues but I guess they are more prone to.

Congrats on a nice axe!

Cheers,
KF

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:54 am

Nice find!

y2kc

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:12 am

Looks swweeeet Eric! -- Darwin

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:19 am

Sweet Deluxe there Eric! How'd you sneak it in? :silent:

Also like the Bluesboy...Tangerine Metallic goodness... :alright:

Cheers, Dan

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:18 am

I just noticed the amps. Is that enough power for around the house? Looks like some fun gear.

Y2kc

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:25 am

y2kc wrote:I just noticed the amps. Is that enough power for around the house? Looks like some fun gear.

Y2kc

my Mk V is behind the sofa ...lol .... Peavey Classic 30 is under the side table that the Recto sits on ..... of course all played through 2 , 2x12's .... the little V3m and 1x12 was out because we had practice at my house and our other guitar player used it so he wouldn't have to bring gear over , he even played my S500 (I was baiting him , lol )

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:26 am

WitSok wrote:Sweet Deluxe there Eric! How'd you sneak it in? :silent:

Also like the Bluesboy...Tangerine Metallic goodness... :alright:

Cheers, Dan

the wife is visiting our daughter in S. Carolina :) ..... I still have to hide it in plain site

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:19 pm

That is a sweet find Eric. Quilt vs flame can be a fine line to call sometimes but it doesn't matter. That is a striking top. :happy0065:

Do you have a hygrometer in the house? Checking humidity is critical for acoustics but it also can have a big effect on electrics too. During big changes (like when heat comes on the first time in the winter or down south when the tropical flows come our way) it is important to keep your guitar in the case so that they acclimate slowly to the changes. That is why you don't pop a new guitar out of its package when the UPS guy walks through the door. (You don't do that do you?) :shifty:

Anyway, my point is that the figured wood may have a tendency to shift more than other types but if treated properly, you can minimize the chances of that happening. Once you have your hygrometer for a while and check it on a daily basis you will be more attuned to fluctuations. So don't take that purty thing to a gig in the rain and then set it by the fire to dry out later. :shocked028: I have had a birds eye neck for decades and don't give it a second thought. If in doubt, leave it in the case.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am

Haven't been around in awhile and the first thing I saw was this baby, as I always say, sweeeeeeet and the Birdseye maple neck
just makes it sweeter, congrats.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:41 pm

Jim good to hear from you !! .... and it about 7.8 pounds for the deluxe , 6.5lbs ish for Empress wood Blues boy , I hurt my back and now have trouble playing anything over 8lbs and prefer closer to 6lbs ... I was just thinking of un-loading some of my heavier guitars 9lbs and up , just can't stand and play at the same time anymore with the heavy stuff , this getting old stuff is really cramping my life style , Jim how you been lately ??... still recording ??

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:39 pm

Eric,

Don't know how I missed this the first time around, that is a beauty. I always say quilt is way more comfortable than a blanket! :lol:

Good for you!,

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:20 pm

sam wrote:Eric,

Don't know how I missed this the first time around, that is a beauty. I always say quilt is way more comfortable than a blanket! :lol:

Good for you!,

I posted it on FB as a picture from my local dealer , Tim Page said it looked like a early ASAT Deluxe , one of the first ones and pretty light too ..... just couldn't quit thinking about , called Centerville Music few days later and had him put it on hold until I could come back and pay for it ..... such a beautiful LP type of sound from those buckers , nice feeling neck , slim but not too slim and a superb overall balance , it's a joy to play

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:24 am

Very nice, great looking guitar and I like the Mesa! So jealous we just don't have the variety of g&l's in Australia and Mesa are so expensive.

Will get one when I have the space to play load, one day!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:Jim good to hear from you !! .... and it about 7.8 pounds for the deluxe , 6.5lbs ish for Empress wood Blues boy , I hurt my back and now have trouble playing anything over 8lbs and prefer closer to 6lbs ... I was just thinking of un-loading some of my heavier guitars 9lbs and up , just can't stand and play at the same time anymore with the heavy stuff , this getting old stuff is really cramping my life style , Jim how you been lately ??... still recording ??

Did I ever answer this post, just saw the last part. If I did let say ,yes I've lost it ,if I did'nt there may be a chance for me.
Anyhow its been over a years and yes from time to time I'm still recording, both for my own materiel as well as playing lead parts for others, but here in Alabama, no longer in Nashville. Wrote the music for a Motion Picture that one copyright became the theme song, that was interesting and a contractual nightmare.
This month will be a year since open heart surgery also. Triple by pass, did'nt see that coming, still slow with some things, but recovering nicely. That's my point of view, but my wife's well.........................
Hope your well and stay in touch. I see a lot of the others have left the forum or they don't post much, pot calling the kettle black, :shocked028:

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Good to hear from you Jim , I haven't replaced my laptop yet and that what keeps me from posting at home and at work its hard to log on and post so I had a free moment at work I pretty much have the same guitars and doing OK