how to adjust tremolo bridge?

Mon May 10, 2010 2:48 pm

On g&l 2 point fulcrum tremolo bridge, u have 2 studs which goes into the body of the guitar to fix the bridge in place.

If i am going to set up my guitar in g&l factory setting (with 3/16" spacing from the back edge of the bridge to the body), do i unscrew my studs slightly out of body, or tighten them up fully into the screw?
and if i have to unscrew them slightly, how many turns (or mm above the body surface) shoud i make from the fully screwed position?

+ on the manual of g&l guitar setting says,
"1. Adjust strings to half tension"
does this mean then E string becomes D? i am not sure about how to make strings in "half tension"

Re: how to adjust tremolo bridge?

Mon May 10, 2010 6:11 pm

ggodoree wrote:On g&l 2 point fulcrum tremolo bridge, u have 2 studs which goes into the body of the guitar to fix the bridge in place.

If i am going to set up my guitar in g&l factory setting (with 3/16" spacing from the back edge of the bridge to the body), do i unscrew my studs slightly out of body, or tighten them up fully into the screw?
and if i have to unscrew them slightly, how many turns (or mm above the body surface) shoud i make from the fully screwed position?

+ on the manual of g&l guitar setting says,
"1. Adjust strings to half tension"
does this mean then E string becomes D? i am not sure about how to make strings in "half tension"

The two screws which you will want to adjust are the ones which hold the spring claw to the body. See the picture in step 5 of the manual.

Adjust the strings (detune them) so that you can move the bridge up/down with your hand so that you can insert the 3/16" spacer.

Hope this helps.

Mon May 10, 2010 10:55 pm

sorry, but im talking about two studs that holds the tremolo bridge(bridge plate) from the top of the body, not those two screws which holds metal plate and springs from the back of the guitar.

in step 2, when u adjust bridge plate level to body with 3/16" spacer,
do i unscrew the two studs so that bridge plate is parallel to the contour of the body??
(same as shown on the manual diagram? in the manual, the diagram on step 2 shows, the bridge plate level is parallel to the body contour all the way from the studs to the back end of the bridge where 3/16" spacer is maintained in position)

Mon May 10, 2010 10:58 pm

and the reason im asking this is that, i recently removed the bridge out of the body to clean and inserted back again. so i am not sure about the length in the studs initially before taking out the bridge.

Tue May 11, 2010 3:27 pm

ggodoree wrote:and the reason im asking this is that, i recently removed the bridge out of the body to clean and inserted back again. so i am not sure about the length in the studs initially before taking out the bridge.

I see, well, I suggest adjusting them so that the bottom of the knife edge is 3/16" from the body.
Then do the standard adjustment for the bridge. You might need to re-adjust them up or down
depending on your other adjustment.

Hope this helps and best of luck.