Who uses 9's on their Legacy?

Sat May 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi,
Who uses 9's on their Legacy? I'm new here and just bought a Legacy, it has 10's on it, but I was thinking of going with 9's, which is what I usually play on my Strats. If I go with 9's are there any adjustments I 'll need to make on the Legacy? Thanks!

Re: Who uses 9's on their Legacy?

Sat May 08, 2010 5:19 pm

I use 9s on mine. You may need to adjust the truss rod a bit and perhaps the tension on the tremelo springs, but nothing too drastic.

Sat May 08, 2010 6:45 pm

You'll probably need to tweak the intonation as well.
I like 11's on my Gibson-scale and T style guitars, but prefer 10's on my S style guitars for some reason. Enjoy! - ed

Sun May 09, 2010 6:37 am

zapcosongs wrote:You'll probably need to tweak the intonation as well.
I like 11's on my Gibson-scale and T style guitars, but prefer 10's on my S style guitars for some reason. Enjoy! - ed

Strat styles longer scale requires a tighter string to achieve the same note. So they feel stiffer, and you don't need to make up that stiffness with higher gauge (which also needs to be tighter). I play with 9's on my 25.5 floyd equipped contour and like it just fine. Changing gauge on any floating trem will as said require spring tension adjustments (probably loosening the anchor a bit going down a level)

Sun May 09, 2010 7:26 am

Thanks for the input. I probably should have said in the beginning that I'm going to be using a (Hybrid set 9-46), which keeps the 4,5, & 6 strings from the 10 set and uses 1,2, & 3 strings from a 9 set. I don't know if this will make that much of a difference then. Thanks.