Dual Fulcrum String Change

Wed May 05, 2010 6:18 pm

Hey guys, :D

I'm proud to be the owner of the G&L Tribute S-500, i love it, i think the sound is great, but I just had a question about how to change the strings with the dual fulcrum tremolo.

Upon replacing the strings and tuning them, they seem to pull the bridge so that the bridge is in a permanent downward position (as if i were pulling the whammy bar down).

Can anybody please help me out with a step-by-step answer? :greet:

Thank you very much

Re: Dual Fulcrum String Change

Wed May 05, 2010 7:57 pm

jrosales wrote:Hey guys, :D

I'm proud to be the owner of the G&L Tribute S-500, i love it, i think the sound is great, but I just had a question about how to change the strings with the dual fulcrum tremolo.

Upon replacing the strings and tuning them, they seem to pull the bridge so that the bridge is in a permanent downward position (as if i were pulling the whammy bar down).

Can anybody please help me out with a step-by-step answer? :greet:

Thank you very much

Here's a couple of links to help you with the setup:

G&L Owner's Manual page 4/5

The Toothbrush Trick

Hopefully, others here will provide their own exeriences and their own step-by-step process.

Hope this helps.

Re: Dual Fulcrum String Change

Wed May 05, 2010 8:59 pm

There are already several posts on this Forum on setting up a guitar with a Dual Fulcrum bridge. In all of these threads, the 'standard' 3/16" thick Oral B tooth brush plays a prominent role. So here is my advice:

1. Using the entry on the menu bar just under the graphic of George & Leo, do a Search on the "toothbrush" keyword and you'll find many of these mails.
  2. If you don't want to do that, find yourself something that is about 3/16" thick (4.7625 mm). Use the aforementioned toothbrush if available, a feeler gauge or otherwise take a deck of cards and make a pile of the correct height.
  3. Change your strings to the desired gauge, one by one.
  4. Turn your guitar around, remove the cover on the spring cavity and using the right Philips screwdriver, tighten the springs until the aforementioned object is firmly stuck between the backside of the bridge and the body.
  5. Tune your strings to pitch and check intonation. Move saddles forward or backward as appropriate. In the end the strings should be at pitch and properly intonated.
  6. If your object is still stuck between bridge and body, slacken the springs by turning the screws out say 1/4 to 1/2 turn. If the object is no longer stuck, repeat step 4.
  7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the object is no longer stuck but can only be removed with the slightest resistance.

Hope this helps.